Knocking sound?

needlepimp

Quasi-Rookie
Donating Member
Registered
Before I get flamed it was not me!

My friend has an 06 LE, he told me his bike is knocking because he ran it low on oil. He said he added a quart and it was still low. now he's asking me what he should know before disassembling it. I can't help him physically because I now live in Japan and he's in California. I told him to get a book and take pictures as he tears it down. He's fairly Mechanically inclined, but I don't know about his ability with internals. I guess my question is how can I help him trouble shoot the problem, And repair it? What do the experts think would cause the knock first, I will try to get the details on how, and for how long he rode it with low oil.

Most likely a main or rod bearing I would think would be the first to fail in an oil starvation state. Main bearings are not meant to run without a film of oil so they are not long for this world without it.

Bottom end is my guess too. If he's never done this don't take the chance. Take it to someone.

That takes some serious neglect, barring major component failure.

I've put 10,000 miles on my bike, and other than changing the oil I just added 4-6 oz for the first time last week. Only ONCE had to add oil in these two years...
rock.gif

Back