K&N Air Filter can lean A/F and run engine hot?

(Deadeye @ Jan. 03 2007,11:20) Henry and Warwgn ... thanks - good thoughts - I will wait for the pics ... I run 93 Octane and synthetic AMSOIL so I don't think it will be a problem over all - probably does lose power and run hotter though (I have no way of measuring). As to pics ... I think you can just load them by selecting the browse option at the bottom of the post / reply window where the icons are ... I'll give it a try with this email ... not sure how you do multiple pics. I think I do want to mod the stock cans ... that will start a whole new thread!! lol. Best to you both in 07. Hopefully one of the dyno smart folks will roll in on this discussion and let us all know what really happens in an unmapped with K&N - standard map condition. So! Let me try and load two pics ... one after another. For those that know - please excuse us newbies!!! jeez.
Switch from 93 octane to 87 and you'll pick up any HP loss from installing the K&N.

There was a test ahile back and the K&N actually flows less than the stock unit. Not enough of a difference to make any change at all.
smile.gif

(justintime2 @ Jan. 03 2007,18:44) There was a test awhile back and the K&N actually flows less than the stock unit. Not enough of a difference to make any change at all.
smile.gif
I just don't see how that's possible. The only study I read was comparing the different filters in a chevy truck. The Delco filter flowed the least, but did the best job of filtering. The K&N flowed best, out-flowing the air hog, but did the worst job of filtering.

I've cut up a factory filter to make just a cover for drag racing and there's no way that paper filter flows better than a cotton K&N.

I got to throw the BS flag on that too. I have been running a K&N on my raptor for a long time now, and I tune and jet loads of other ATV's all the time. I can tell you from experiance that a K&N will flow more air for sure, no doubt in my mind, we have proven this time and again to people by doing no jetting at all and just switching their filter, and it will make it run lean everytime. Keep in mind this is on carborated motors with 1 cylinder, so these changes are very noticable.

Busawhipped, thanks fot the search option on drill cans, will do my research and compare what I did to what's been prove and verify I"m on track. Seaching and tracking......

(cougar694u @ Jan. 04 2007,07:16)
(justintime2 @ Jan. 03 2007,18:44) There was a test awhile back and the K&N actually flows less than the stock unit. Not enough of a difference to make any change at all.
smile.gif
I just don't see how that's possible.  The only study I read was comparing the different filters in a chevy truck.  The Delco filter flowed the least, but did the best job of filtering.  The K&N flowed best, out-flowing the air hog, but did the worst job of filtering.

I've cut up a factory filter to make just a cover for drag racing and there's no way that paper filter flows better than a cotton K&N.
Using a chevy truck comparison to determine what works best on a Busa. Damn, why didn't the rest of us think about that?

All .... thanks!! Interesting and informative. Will search for the stock can mod. My only question is for Busawhipped - where you say "switch from 93 to 87 and GAIN power?!? Jeez - I've always paid the extra for the extra performance, run cooler etc! Could you explain it? Thanks upfront everyone. Oh! Do you have to take the filter out of little baggie thing it comes in? (kidding). By way, here is a pic of who gave me the filter in the first place!!
beerchug.gif
Deadeye

Picture_012__Large_.jpg

My 2000 busa is bone stock other than the K&N. No remaping either. I have over 40,000 miles on that filter with no engine problems. Can't say it helped performance but it dyno'd 156.5 at the ground. Good luck with yours.<span style='color:red'></span>

Hmmm - I'm seeing a trend here .... hey! It takes a while for old guys. Thanks for the posts ... Deadeye
lurk.gif

(Deadeye @ Jan. 04 2007,09:57) All .... thanks!! Interesting and informative. Will search for the stock can mod. My only question is for Busawhipped - where you say "switch from 93 to 87 and GAIN power?!? Jeez - I've always paid the extra for the extra performance, run cooler etc! Could you explain it? Thanks upfront everyone. Oh! Do you have to take the filter out of little baggie thing it comes in? (kidding). By way, here is a pic of who gave me the filter in the first place!!  
beerchug.gif
Deadeye
93 octain runs "colder" than 87 so that it doesn't detonate in high compression engines.  Engines build to require the high octane benefit from the increased HP and torque that come from compressing the A/F mixture more.  Running the lowest octain that you can without detonation (very imprtant point there) will yield more horse power with the same tune.  With the engine management computers, you will not get detonation because the computer will retard the timing to eliminate it, assuming you are not way under what you should be running.  when the computer retards the timing to eliminate detonation, it reduces power.  So there is a balancing point for maximum power where the computer can tune to the maximum advance for the dynamic compression ratio without detonation.    

Nice picture BTW.

Take a look at this . It is not the first place I have seen other references to the OEM busa paper filter out performing the BMC and the K&N. I personally would not dispute any info coming from Tom (Warbaby) posts at all. His posts carry a lot of weight with me. That said the tests were likely done with new almost new OEM filters. If the filters were compared with 5000 miles on them, I would suspect the OEM would fall behind. I almost suspect the tests were done with the standard BMC filter. I truely believe the Race filter will flow better than the OEM but will allow more dirt to enter the engine.

BMC does not recommend using the the race filter in normal street use. I'm going to run a BMC Race unit at the drag strip where others would not run a filter at all.

I’m sure there are other applications where the stock filter is more restrictive but it does not look like that is the case with the Hayabusa. Regardless all of my cars, trucks, race cars, and bikes have had K&N filters for years except my Hayabusa. I had a diesel pickup K&N filter that had over 250K miles on it.

Look at the some comments on the factory pro filter

"The STREET filter flows like stock and makes similar to stock power and the RACE filter requires rejetting to work best."

The next two are for the same application (98-02YZF600 R6)
BMC Standard: "This filter flows about 1 TRUE HP less and 1 main jet less than the stock filter and appears to flow about the same as a K&N, from our testing, as of 2003 November."

BMC Race: "It "flows" 3-4 TRUE HP more than a stock filter and 4-5 more than a BMC Street or K&N filter…. "

Ok......it's been proven that a stock filter outflow's a k&N/BMC.  That defies the laws of nature.  Long story short, get a BMC "Race" filter and jet the bike or once I get the K&N/BMC ensure that I get my bike jetted to maximize the higher volume of air she takes in.   Thanks to all for the great and shocking info.  Guess this old dog just learned a few new tricks.    
bowdown.gif

Kelly,

Just rememberd.....do the "drill can" search and you'll find a wealth of info on the can mod. I ran across six threads regarding the modification and there were at least 8 or nine more. I found the one I'll be doing and will take it from there. They all have pics and some really good "how to" info.

Henry

(Shibumi @ Jan. 05 2007,07:57) Guess I'll stick with my BMC race, and clean it often!  
smile.gif
And avoid dusty areas as it will not filter the air as well either..... per BMC
wink.gif

(Supergsxr @ Jan. 05 2007,06:03) Ok......it's been proven that a stock filter outflow's a k&N/BMC.  That defies the laws of nature.  Long story short, get a BMC "Race" filter  and jet the bike or once I get the K&N/BMC ensure that I get my bike jetted to maximize the higher volume of air she takes in.   Thanks to all for the great and shocking info.  Guess this old dog just learned a few new tricks.    
bowdown.gif
Jetting a busa?

All ... again I say thanks - this is such an awesome site. Will explore the can mod and read more into the filter threads. Think the bottom line is I can run the K&N without remapping and not hurt the bike and it would take some serious experimentation to determine whether it actually loses / gains power. Keep the filter clean and run fuel so as to eliminate detonation. Thanks for all your comments. Gotta go - my son gets married tomorrow, much to do. Thanks to all!! Deadeye
beerchug.gif

IMG_0027__Large_.JPG

(Professor @ Jan. 05 2007,09:38)
(Shibumi @ Jan. 05 2007,07:57) Guess I'll stick with my BMC race, and clean it often!
smile.gif
And avoid dusty areas as it will not filter the air as well either..... per BMC
wink.gif
Yeah, thank God I don't live in Oklahoma!
laugh.gif

That's OK, come back for the Meet-n-greet and you get to see trees and curves again...

(Shibumi @ Jan. 05 2007,20:flamethrowing:) Yeah, thank God I don't live in Oklahoma!  
laugh.gif

That's OK, come back for the Meet-n-greet and you get to see trees and curves again...
I got to see plenty this weekend.
biggrin.gif
However I did not have the bike with me.
sad.gif

We were in Busawhipped's area over New Years.

Believe me, I'll be in Eureka soon. I already will be there In late April. I plan on making the M&G as well unless something conflicts.

I you guys would put in a Drag Strip, it would be the perfect combination!

(Professor @ Jan. 05 2007,20:44)
(Shibumi @ Jan. 05 2007,20
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
) Yeah, thank God I don't live in Oklahoma!  
laugh.gif

I got to see plenty this weekend.  
biggrin.gif
  However I did not have the bike with me.  
sad.gif

We were in Busawhipped's area over New Years.

Believe me, I'll be in Eureka soon. I already will be there In late April. I plan on making the M&G as well unless something conflicts.

I you guys would put in a Drag Strip, it would be the perfect combination!
They don't have a 1/4 mile of flat land.

Back