Just tuned an 08 Busa with Dual HMF Pipes Full

Thats about 8-10 hp more than a lot of tunes I've seen. Where did it all come from?
It's All in the TUNER!!!!
ThumbsUp.gif
So your telling me that a tuner that can dial in Air Fuel ratio, and nothing else, is making 20whp more then everybody else? Let's be realistic..

Not to be the party pooper here, but that's high. Also, the AFR chart is scaled from 10-20 and is freakin tiny.. Scale that bad boy from 11 - 14 and let's see the real AFR chart..

Just curious what kind of power does a piped and tuned Gen I busa make on your dyno?
Had mine tuned by them and made 166 hp. Why does everyone assume the numbers can't be real? Steve has been doing this for a very long time and quite a few board members. I couldn't think of a better person to tune my bike (no offense intended to GPW or JohnnyCheese). He knows his stuff.

super.gif
PM -->
BigBSBusa @ May 10 2008 said:
1410482[/ATTACH] PM]
Just curious what kind of power does a piped and tuned Gen I busa make on your dyno?
Had mine tuned by them and made 166 hp.  Why does everyone assume the numbers can't be real?  Steve has been doing this for a very long time and quite a few board members.  I couldn't think of a better person to tune my bike (no offense intended to GPW or JohnnyCheese).  He knows his stuff.
+1.  I posted up my dyno chart from my 05 when Steve finished with it.  HMF 4-2-1 high mount, small airbox mod, K&N filter, PCiii.  163 hp, 99 ft# torque.

super.gif

So your telling me that a tuner that can dial in Air Fuel ratio, and nothing else, is making 20whp more then everybody else? Let's be realistic..

Not to be the party pooper here, but that's high. Also, the AFR chart is scaled from 10-20 and is freakin tiny.. Scale that bad boy from 11 - 14 and let's see the real AFR chart..
20whp than anyone else? So no one can come any where close to 180's with their 08's? I know I've seen a hand full of people showing graphs and even saying their bike made more than 180hp.

You aren't party pooping anything. I could have left the air fuel chart off if I wanted to. That isn't going to tell you anything. Even if it did you wouldn't know what works and what doesn't.

It's all in what you pay for and who you take your bike to to get it tuned. I never said I'm billy bad ass tuner. We have yet to have anyone complain about any maps we have made for anyone. In fact a good portion of the customers take the time to call back and say they can't believe what a good custom dyno tune can do for them.

Thats about 8-10 hp more than a lot of tunes I've seen. Where did it all come from?
It's All in the TUNER!!!!
ThumbsUp.gif

What I am telling you is that Steve & Co @ Smithers know how to tune Busa's and are very good at what they do. Steve has been tuning Busa's since they came out in 99.

These HMF dual hi and low mount systems make big power when tuned correctly!!!
Good job...
I will tell you this, I had tuned two other 08's one with R-77 and one with Alien head just before this one and this one was a little harder to keep cool. Who ever put this together at the factory, it must have been a Wednesday. haha

Just because this pipe made good power #'s on that certain bike, doesn't mean it will be awesome for everyone.

20whp than anyone else? So no one can come any where close to 180's with their 08's? I know I've seen a hand full of people showing graphs and even saying their bike made more than 180hp.

You aren't party pooping anything. I could have left the air fuel chart off if I wanted to. That isn't going to tell you anything. Even if it did you wouldn't know what works and what doesn't.

It's all in what you pay for and who you take your bike to to get it tuned. I never said I'm billy bad ass tuner. We have yet to have anyone complain about any maps we have made for anyone. In fact a good portion of the customers take the time to call back and say they can't believe what a good custom dyno tune can do for them.
Steve I respect what you do for a living, as I do the same thing in the automotive field, I am a full time calibrator for a shop in which we calibrate MANY different types of vehicles. To add to that, I personally sponsor 4 different race teams who race the Pro NASA circuit. In saying that, I think I know enough to say that unless your are somehow re-calibrating the timing tables and not telling anybody how your doing it, there is no way you can pick up 20whp on a GenII with just a PC and exhaust. I can go into the theory behind Volumetric efficiency if you want, but as put in an other threads, it nearly impossible to gain what you are gaining simply by adding some fuel to the WOT tables.

It's been shown on a pretty consistent basis that these bikes will run about 13.4 - 13.6 without a PC, and with a PC chances are you are adding some more fuel to it. Aside from that, there is nothing else you can "Tune" on this bike to make more power then the next guy.. Once we can get into the factory ECM and start tuning timing tables it will be game on..

They say you loose 3% for every 1000 feet above sea level. You should bring to my house so I can ride it full power for ya!
beerchug.gif

Steve I respect what you do for a living, as I do the same thing in the automotive field, I am a full time calibrator for a shop in which we calibrate MANY different types of vehicles. To add to that, I personally sponsor 4 different race teams who race the Pro NASA circuit. In saying that, I think I know enough to say that unless your are somehow re-calibrating the timing tables and not telling anybody how your doing it, there is no way you can pick up 20whp on a GenII with just a PC and exhaust. I can go into the theory behind Volumetric efficiency if you want, but as put in an other threads, it nearly impossible to gain what you are gaining simply by adding some fuel to the WOT tables.

It's been shown on a pretty consistent basis that these bikes will run about 13.4 - 13.6 without a PC, and with a PC chances are you are adding some more fuel to it. Aside from that, there is nothing else you can "Tune" on this bike to make more power then the next guy.. Once we can get into the factory ECM and start tuning timing tables it will be game on..
This isn't Steve.

No one said anything about picking up 20whp anywhere other than you. As stated in another thread two bikes before this one made 184 and 186.

Pretty consistent basis of running 13.4 - 13.6 without a PC? I've only seen a few graphs with air/fuel on them and one log. It's safe to say it wasn't consistent 13.4 - 13.6.

It's pretty safe to say we are beating a dead horse. It's been said before dyno #'s are just that, dyno #'s.

Also, every other single dyno we do they are all around the same power #'s everyone else is getting. Bikes like, GSX-R 600's, 750's, 1000's, 600RR's, 1000RR's, ZX10R's, you name it.

They are just numbers and that is it. I put 3k miles on this bike before smithers & co. performed the work. After riding it all weekend I noticed a BIG difference in performance (i am not a mechanic or claim to be one but I am a long time rider)

Smithers has my buisness for life
thumb_up.gif

They are just numbers and that is it. I put 3k miles on this bike before smithers & co. performed the work. After riding it all weekend I noticed a BIG difference in performance (i am not a mechanic or claim to be one but I am a long time rider)

Smithers has my buisness for life
thumb_up.gif
As long as our customers are happy we are happy.
thumb_up.gif

I guess tuning an 08 with a Power Commander does show big improvements other than just more power.
laugh.gif

Putting power #'s a side, I am willing to bet that same weight rider going from a roll in same gear and same sprocket setup your bike will pull a good portion of the 08's out there.

thumb_up.gif

I'd like to see the "before" run - i.e. with the bike unmodified.

Clip the A/F information off it if you'd like, but the point would be to understand what the result was against the baseline of the bike stock (or maybe just with the air filter).

I'd like to see the "before" run.

Clip the A/F information off it if you'd like, but the point would be to understand what the result was against the baseline of the bike stock (or maybe just with the air filter).
There was no before run. Otherwise I would have posted it already. After all this I really wish we had ran it bone stock.

There was no before run. Otherwise I would have posted it already. After all this I really wish we had ran it bone stock.
Prolly much better to do so.

There are a lot of little factors that can move a dyno number around a whole bunch.

In truth, your best selling point to folks with experience modding vehicles is going to be the delta off a baseline power number - any time a big number just shows up that is outside the norm, it's reasonable to question the measurement system.

Now, I don't think you're fudging anything, or trying to be dishonest at all or anything like that, but it tells a guy like me a lot more when you have the baseline number and can state positively that X mod is worth Y rwhp.

There are a lot of little factors that can move a dyno number around a whole bunch.

In truth, your best selling point to folks with experience modding vehicles is going to be the delta off a baseline power number - any time a big number just shows up that is outside the norm, it's reasonable to question the measurement system.

Now, I don't think you're fudging anything, or trying to be dishonest at all or anything like that, but it tells a guy like me a lot more when you have the baseline number and can state positively that X mod is worth Y rwhp.
Our customers basically do the selling for us. Wasn't trying to sell anything by posting this.

Our customers basically do the selling for us. Wasn't trying to sell anything by posting this.
Well, a good reputation is more valuable than gold, and it is good that you value it so highly.

That being said... I'm an engineer, and I'll bet there are a few others like me out there, meaning that hard numbers are going to be what we're looking for. Without the baseline, I can't tell what those are - hence my comment.

Back