Just got rear-ended on my bike by mini-van

Fate

Donating Member
Registered
Was at red light waiting to turn left and looked in my side mirror and saw van slowing, took my eyes off as light turned green, had bike in gear, clutch pulled, no brakes and bam. Pushed bike over two bike lengths forward. Kept bike up and did not get hurt (besides neck hurts a little). Don't know how I kept bike up. I always leave room between me and guy in front and the big truck in front of me had moved forward (thank god) or I would have been pushed into him. Old guy got out and we checked damage, did not see any physical damage on my bike but his bumper was scratched up, probably from my pipe and mark from my tire. Just put new tire on with Joker and dan1995 this weekend. I moved bike up to next available parking spot off road to inspect then van left. I did not get his info, I was kind of in shock to be alive and was not thinking straight. Adreniline was kicking and I was shaking. Still am a little. Got home and looked over bike. Looks fine. I think the rear tire may be off a little from inspecting axle adjustments. This may be from me and joker putting tire back on though, we took the dang thing off a bunch of times. We adjusted my dog bone the wrong way trying to raise my bike and had tire loose a bunch of times. Anyway, be careful out there. I am kind of done riding today....

Good thing you are ok, i would check alngment of wheel. Always get info, just incase that ol neck of your starts acting up,, get it?:whistle:

Holy crap Fate, that sucks. Call the police now while the information is fresh on your mind. Thats hit and run baby. Ah, this pizzez me off! You need to have the bike checked, sub frame, wheel geometery, etc.

I got rear-ended in LA about 18 months ago on my 1st 06LE. Broken collar bone, several broken ribs, huge, deep contusions. Bike was a total loss.

But enough about me.

Lots of reasons to be thankful here...always get the offender's info, though. :rulez:

You're lucky, bro.

I agree with twotonevert, if you can still report this I would because you don't know you may be hurt and it not show up till tomorrow, etc.

Also, the bike swingarm could be warped misaligned just enough to cause you problems that you can't fix.....

BUT, I'm just glad you're okay----

I got rear-ended in LA about 18 months ago on my 1st 06LE.
Well, that sucks.

On a side note, if any of you got rear ended while in San Francisco, please keep those stories to yourself.

This has been a public service announcement.

Well, that sucks.

On a side note, if any of you got rear ended while in San Francisco, please keep those stories to yourself.

This has been a public service announcement.

That only pertains to Vegas. Please do share!:moon:

Glad your ok , seems it could have been a lot worse .
Think you will be sore in the morning

That's awful to hear, but at least you are OK. I would seriously go over the bike with a magnifying glass. I would not be surprised to find hidden damage, like your wheel being out of true, as well as misaligned. Things like the rear axle should be checked for true as well, especially since it's hollow. Take a good look at the rear shock, and related mounting links and points, as well as the swing-arm pivots. Since you mentioned that your muffler may have taken a hit, take a look at the entire system, especially at the joints, and the header flanges.

I really do hope that everything is alright with the you, as well as your bike. I took a similar hit about 15 years ago, and learned the value of keeping the bike in gear, and watching vehicles at my rear as intently as the ones ahead of me whenever I'm stopped.

Good grief Fate! I'm glad to hear it wasn't worse :( Stinkin' cagers :angry:

short story...me and the g/f were out riding all day and we had one more stop to make. she asks..."can we take the car...i have a weird feeling?" I was hesitant because I absolutely love riding my bike. I said O.K. and we get to a red light and WAM!!! construction truck slams into us. Thank God she wanted to take the car.
Sorry to hear about what happened bro. glad you're ok though. As stated before...call the police before its too late and you forget something or whatever. you never know what problems will show up later because of the accident. Make a report so that they can find the guy.
Be safe out there guys....its the other guy you have to watch out for!

Last edited:
I agree with twotonevert, if you can still report this I would because you don't know you may be hurt and it not show up till tomorrow, etc.

Also, the bike swingarm could be warped misaligned just enough to cause you problems that you can't fix.....

BUT, I'm just glad you're okay----

+1 and I am glad it wasn't worse, but be sure and keep a close check on the soreness it definitely could be more serious than you realize right now.

Thanks guys, just went over bike again, looks like the mount bolt is tweaked a little bit on exhaust but loosened it and tightened it and it looks normal now, Took axle bolt off and everything looks good. Rode it all the way home, about 10 miles at varied speeds, braking hard and swerving and it feels perfect, rim looks fine, tire looks great, bran new tire so would notice, still has stubbies on it. Went over all of swing are and it looks perfect. He hit me at a slow speed, under probably 5 mph, It just pushed me a distance, seemed like more. I called police, but only had discription of van. He did stop and we talked, but I figured he would pull over when he saw me pull over at next stop, was trying to get out of traffic. My plate is expired and broke right now and really did not want police involved, can't get bike registered here until I find my pay off slip for my bike to relieve lein on title. Bike is paid off and just moved so don't have any idea where we put payoff letter. Also have Florida drivers license and Missouri plate so trying to stay on down low for now, believe that is big no no here, have 7 days to transfer once you are moved and get license here. :whistle: The Busa is my only transportation right now. Don't flame me, I know that is stupid, but every penny is tight right now till I get my business going. Got all my dang money in this business and trying to just make it till we get going. My Partner is funding the rest of the business so the business is financially fine for now but I am personally strapped. I am still checking things every minute on my bike, freaking out..... Got the tire back together and according to the swing arm markers it is even, is there a better way to check alignment ???

Glad you and the bike are okay. Had a lady in a Ford run into the back of me about 3 years ago. I had around $4k in damages, but her insurance covered everything.

Took it out for a spin, it feels fine, does not pull at all an either direction, brakes great!!!

wow, taking it in the rear like that could kill you...... :whistle:

glad you survived it in one piece! all kidding aside, I would venture that the bike took damage all the same..

wow, taking it in the rear like that could kill you...... :whistle:

glad you survived it in one piece! all kidding aside, I would venture that the bike took damage all the same..

I can't find any..... stop it you are scaring me, heading back out to garage to look at her again ...... Oh, and this is for you :moon::whistle:

Back