Just got into this with my boss...He disagrees with me

Again, secure them IMHO.

Put yourself in one of the other parent's shoes, your child is going to their house and you know there are guns out and available....ok, here, I'll be the dad of the kid coming to your house:

1. I know that I know about gun safety with my military experience (i'm the guy that, even if I see you clear the weapon before you hand it to me, I'll clear it again when it touches my hands for my own satisfaction) but I don't know your background from squat..

2. I might even partially trust you, but I'm not going to trust my own child, let alone the other children, nor their parents. When it comes to guns I don't trust ANYONE.

3. I've personally seen an incident (military) where the chain of safety got broken, and it could have EASILY killed someone; the people that broke it were even LEO's.

4. The life of my child is too valuable to me to even take the chance; if you wern't willing to put them up, then I might decline the invite.

5. If you were coming to my house, I'd put my stuff up, just to show I Do NOT take chances with my life or the lives of my guests. That way, you can focus on what you are doing at the moment with a clear conscience and no worries. Your boss is right. Please put them up. Should not even be a question.

I keep all but one locked up in the safe that one stays with me in the house close by in the event of home invasion. I would lock the rest up they are still kids and excitement can get the best of them.

Again, secure them IMHO.

Put yourself in one of the other parent's shoes, your child is going to their house and you know there are guns out and available....ok, here, I'll be the dad of the kid coming to your house:

1. I know that I know about gun safety with my military experience (i'm the guy that, even if I see you clear the weapon before you hand it to me, I'll clear it again when it touches my hands for my own satisfaction) but I don't know your background from squat..

2. I might even partially trust you, but I'm not going to trust my own child, let alone the other children, nor their parents. When it comes to guns I don't trust ANYONE.

3. I've personally seen an incident (military) where the chain of safety got broken, and it could have EASILY killed someone; the people that broke it were even LEO's.

4. The life of my child is too valuable to me to even take the chance; if you wern't willing to put them up, then I might decline the invite.

5. If you were coming to my house, I'd put my stuff up, just to show I Do NOT take chances with my life or the lives of my guests. That way, you can focus on what you are doing at the moment with a clear conscience and no worries. Your boss is right. Please put them up. Should not even be a question.

This is exactly tthe opinion I was looking for. I thank you very much for this. You have laid it out in a way that I see the point of how the parents may feel. Thank you again sir.

thank you for doing what you're doing:beerchug: to me, leave the guns where they are, just remove the ammo...if after all is said & done, every one gone...replace the ammo just like normal. if anything is moved due to "curosity" you'll know.:thumbsup:

I'm glad I could help make sense of it for you.

Tell the other parents what you have done to provide them relief, earn their respect and set an example - you'd want them to do the same when your child goes to their place. Am certain it will pay you back a thousandfold somewhere down the road. Tell your boss you have thought it out and now agree with him - will also help him respect/trust you more.

This is exactly tthe opinion I was looking for. I thank you very much for this. You have laid it out in a way that I see the point of how the parents may feel. Thank you again sir.

I think you have good points pertaining to not putting them up, and Skydivr is dead on with his thought. I would only add: Is the risk of an accident and the potential injury to someone and possible legal trouble worth not taking 15 minutes and securing my firearms.

Skydivr: I'm not worried about being paid back for anything I do. I just want these boys to be educated. I am still a little torn between putting all of them in the safe just due to the fact that we do have dangers that would need to be dealt with in a quick manner.

Last edited:
Jeez, i need to print this, Dino actually agreed with me are you sick dude? I'M GOING TO DISNEYWORLD! :laugh:

Pinky, if you have immediate dangers nearby suggest you personally stay armed, and maybe someone else there you trust for security. I'm much more comfortable with someone carrying than I am with stuff lying around. Good luck.

Last edited:
My guns are easily accessible and loaded. Pistols, rifles and shotguns. I rarely have children in my home but when I do the guns are all unloaded and locked up separtely from the ammo. I will not be the cause of a childs death just to prove a point.

My guns are easily accessible and loaded. Pistols, rifles and shotguns. I rarely have children in my home but when I do the guns are all unloaded and locked up separtely from the ammo. I will not be the cause of a childs death just to prove a point.

What point is there to prove?

What point is there to prove?

you feel you should be able to have your guns, in your house, where you want them.....that is great, and not really a problem when its only you.

but not the greatest idea when other are going to be in the home.

yes, i am sure these are all good kids, and am sure they will behave properly...but we all know that accidents happen. anybody that has spent time on the range has seen well trained adults make mistakes handling weapons.

accidents happen, and the chances of an accidents happening goes up when the people involved are young, and the group gets larger in size....

Jeez, i need to print this, Dino actually agreed with me are you sick dude? I'M GOING TO DISNEYWORLD! :laugh:

Pinky, if you have immediate dangers nearby suggest you personally stay armed, and maybe someone else there you trust for security. I'm much more comfortable with someone carrying than I am with stuff lying around. Good luck.

:moon:

Sheesh I agree with you more than you think....and I think I am coming down with the swine.

Have a great time. I personally don't have weapons laying everywhere for my safety as well as the safety of others.

I've seen some pretty sad things happen. An AD is an AD. I've been covered by some pretty well trained, well educated adults in my life. So take it for what it's worth; store what you can't carry.

You need to be certain that your guns are not being mishandled. If you can't see them, you can't be certain. Put them all out of sight except the ones you are using for the training. It might be your house, but you can't be in every room at once. Kids also explore whenever they feel the need to.

A secure home also needs to be a responsible home. :beerchug:

Ok...First off I'm not stiring the pot on this one I'm actually wondering what you believe about this topic. I know some states have different laws about it and other countries do also but I'm just curious due to the other (What gun do you own) thread out there. How do you store your weapons on your property and why do you do so in that manner?

Personally, I have at least one long rifle and one pistol in every room with extra ammo and mags ready and waiting. I do also have a safe with others but my belief is that if someone is on my property or about to enter my home Im not going to try and beat them to the safe and hope I can defend myself and my family. Or that my family if I'm not there will not be able to do the same.

Move to a better neighborhood.Sound like you live in the middle East.Every room ???

Last edited:
Skydivr: I'm not worried about being paid back for anything I do. I just want these boys to be educated. I am still a little torn between putting all of them in the safe just due to the fact that we do have dangers that would need to be dealt with in a quick manner.

How many guns would you need out to deal with such situation. Also there have been people who joined the military,trained up, went into a battle situation and freaked/panic. Ages doesn't really play a factor,but younger you are the more chance of something bad happening. Having the knowledge of what to do doesn't always mean that's the way it will be done.

Have fun and be safe this weekend. :thumbsup:

Back