Just got into this with my boss...He disagrees with me

Pinky Winky

Donating Member
Registered
Ok...First off I'm not stiring the pot on this one I'm actually wondering what you believe about this topic. I know some states have different laws about it and other countries do also but I'm just curious due to the other (What gun do you own) thread out there. How do you store your weapons on your property and why do you do so in that manner?

Personally, I have at least one long rifle and one pistol in every room with extra ammo and mags ready and waiting. I do also have a safe with others but my belief is that if someone is on my property or about to enter my home Im not going to try and beat them to the safe and hope I can defend myself and my family. Or that my family if I'm not there will not be able to do the same.

I have a large gun safe in my closet where I keep most of my firearms and ammunition. I usually have my duty weapon near me in the event of a home invasion.

Pistol on my hip, and a rifle at the ready...plus extra mags and ammo at all times :thumbsup:

My boss' big argument was the fact that this weekend I'm having our scout troop out to the house for a rifle shooting contest and a gun safety class for all the boys and their families. He thinks that I should put all my weapons in the house and barn and other places into the safe so that they cannot be touched. My arguement is that these boys have all had training using rifles and shotguns and they know the proper handling of them.

I wouldn't say put them up for safety reasons but if you don't know everyone really good that will be there, you may want to get them out of sight to keep them from being stolen later. Sometimes the wrong people hear about what you have and it becomes theirs. Just a thought.

i agree they should be put up safely. even though they have training and know what to do/not do, accidents happen and boys will be boys. good job though with the kids and letting em learn about guns and how to use em.

i agree they should be put up safely. even though they have training and know what to do/not do, accidents happen and boys will be boys. good job though with the kids and letting em learn about guns and how to use em.

i agree if you want the boys to respect the "gun safety" seminar you are haveing then you should present yourself with haveing control over all your weapons at all times. having them available when you are home and the only one in the house is someone who should not be is a diffrent issue than haveing them in the house with the "potential" of irresponsibility. as the boy scout motto says... "be prepared"

+1 I dont think i would leave them out if underage kids there.

JUST 2 BE ON SAFE SIDE.

If they've been trained properly then they know not to handle the guns without permission. If you trust them I think you should leave them out if you want to.My kids never touched my guns because they knew not to. Kinda like the spanking thread, It depends on their upbringing. Oh, good on you Pinky for teaching these kids about guns and gun safety. We need more of that in the U.S.:thumbsup:

If I were a parent of one of the kids coming to your house, I would ask that you respect my wishes and secure your weaponry. There are too many 'what if's'. And you can't EVER EVER undo it if something bad happened - all you have to do is read the paper to see examples of it.

Part of owning guns is being responsible. Not an attack on your 2nd amendment rights. No question, secure them until after they leave, or at least clear/store the ammo.

I believe in gun education. The only safety is your finger. These boys are not under aged because you have to be a certain age to handle a rifle or shotgun and the BSA insurance will cover you. Also we have a few critters out here that aint so freindly...like the big cats that have been seen around lately. My scouts know that it is their duty to protect themselves and the people around them and my thinking is that if one boy is in the house or barn or around the shed and see's a potential threat then they will know how to handle it. I always show my weapons to the boys and teach them how to handle each one and where their place is and why. and on a side note my boys are not regular scouts. We dont teach them basket weaving. I teach them how to survive and how to do it with just a pocket knife. I believe knowledge is power and the more knowledge you have of basic survival the more power you have in crisis situations.

Last edited:
One with my wife at all times. One with me at all times. I swap my side arm to fit what I am doing. The rest are locked in a safe.

+1 I dont think i would leave them out if underage kids there.

JUST 2 BE ON SAFE SIDE.

Yea...put 'em up. With a group of kids (adults too) around the chances are good at least one of them is an idiot and will do something stupid to try and act cool or act like he knows more than he does. You don't want to take the chance and end up being held liable for something going wrong.

Here is my 2 cents bro and this comes from my experiance not only from my military back ground but also personal back ground. I think it is cool that you are having a group of boys over to show them how to shoot and teach safty. But first and fore most if you are not a certified instructor for gun safty and what not this could possibly put you in a bad situation. Next if you are an instructor I would only pull the weapons you intend to use and shoot also I would generate some type of release form to send home to the parents explaining your intentions and a possible outline of what you plan to teach and accomplish at this class also stress SAFTY IS PARAMOUNT. All other weapons should be locked up while the boys are there this will eliminate their curious factor they have. This will allow you to keep your focus and attention on the shooters were it belongs. Hope all goes well :thumbsup:

And I dont see anyone attacking anyones rights....I would like your honest opinion so that I can make an informed decision about this. It's on my mind and this is the best place I know of with the most diverse group of people that I know will tell it like it is. And if you want PM me and talk to me about it if you dont want it to be public. Im looking for all input here. Not just people to agree with me.

Here is my 2 cents bro and this comes from my experiance not only from my military back ground but also personal back ground. I think it is cool that you are having a group of boys over to show them how to shoot and teach safty. But first and fore most if you are not a certified instructor for gun safty and what not this could possibly put you in a bad situation. Next if you are an instructor I would only pull the weapons you intend to use and shoot also I would generate some type of release form to send home to the parents explaining your intentions and a possible outline of what you plan to teach and accomplish at this class also stress SAFTY IS PARAMOUNT. All other weapons should be locked up while the boys are there this will eliminate their curious factor they have. This will allow you to keep your focus and attention on the shooters were it belongs. Hope all goes well :thumbsup:

I see what your saying and it has merit but I am an instructor for the BSA through the NRA. Also the parents have to be with the boys for this class and they can only shoot .22 cal for the comp. I do have to have release forms from everyone but I also think that curiosity is a good thing.

And to silent shogun....If I thought that any of them could not be a mature young man about this then they would not be allowed on my property. Ive been through some crazy situations with everyone of these boys and their not kids they know how to conduct themselves.

I would at least remove the ammo from them but suspect removing them entirely is better. I was a scout and went through tons of various gun training along the way so I think its way cool you are doing this :thumbsup: One of my best memories of a camping trip was going up on the river and learning to shoot skeet. We even brought our own guns/ammo with us back then. That being said, today is a different world. It just takes one person having a bad day on *that* day to have fun turn to a horrible event.

I would take the guns and lock them somewhere that the visitors will not have access to on your property. This eliminates the chance of something going wrong and allows the focus to be on the weapons you are sharing & educating with rather than the "oh whats that over there"...cuz we all know boys will be boys :laugh:

I disagree with locking them up from view but I do think that removing the ammo from each weapon is a good alternative.

I see what your saying and it has merit but I am an instructor for the BSA through the NRA. Also the parents have to be with the boys for this class and they can only shoot .22 cal for the comp. I do have to have release forms from everyone but I also think that curiosity is a good thing.

And to silent shogun....If I thought that any of them could not be a mature young man about this then they would not be allowed on my property. Ive been through some crazy situations with everyone of these boys and their not kids they know how to conduct themselves.

Hey man like I said if you are an instructor and have all the basis covered and their parents have to accompany them to the event have a good time :beerchug:

Back