Is this safe??

Adam G

Registered
Wanted a second opinion on my situation. My Busa is sitting in my garage in need of a new rear tire. After a ride last Sunday I noticed a few of the steel cords just barely showing through in the center of the tire in a spot about 2 inches long. I knew I needed a new tire and have purchased one and am getting it put on. But I just noticed that there are actually a few chords barely showing through.

My question is do you guys think it would be safe to ride it very gingerly 15 miles to my local bike shop? Otherwise I ca track down a trailer and haul it in. The guys I ride with think it will be fine to go the short distance but I thought I would ask for a second opinion. Don't want a blow out on the way there.

I would say it'll probably be ok, and I've had 2 rear tires blow out on me:laugh:
Both low speed and straight line, and neither was a surprise.
Add some speed and a little lean, and the risk goes way up.
Your call, if it bothers you and you can trailer it, trailer it.
Is the risk worth the gain to you? Got good gear? Good insurance?
A few cords and steels showing and an easy 15 mile ride will likely be fine, but you never know.:beerchug:

take mag off.. bring to your mech..

have new tire installed .. why chance it...

if not for your safety, think of the safety of others..

but hey.. your ride, your life..

:thumbsup:

I wouldn't hesitate to ride 15 miles for replacement. I had the same thing happen to me - noticed the rear getting thin and just happened to see the belt shining in the sun. Replaced it about a week later and had no problems at all.

This is a call that you'll have to make. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been way beyond where you're at. Whatever you chose be careful out there, chords aren't sticky at all

I knew my re needed replacing but someone pointed out 100 miles into a fast rideout that my chords were showing. A lot of them too :/ had to do 100 miles back at 50 then to the shop the next day. Tyre made it in 1 piece.

Cool, thank guys. I was getting her all cleaned up yesterday I the garage and started thinking man that would suck to get stuck somewhere or possibly even lay it down. I have ridden through a blow out years ago at highway speed and once I figured out what as happening I was able to slow down and pull over no problem. Glad to here first hand experience that you can get some miles on after wearing through the rubber. 3400 miles is all I got out of the factory tire.

i have riden a number of miles on bald tires without any issues....i wouldnt be going wild on it but it should hold to the shop

I can never understand why people wait so long to replace a tire...You have tempted fate thus far riding to the point of cord....might as well throw a bit more to the wind and ride it to the shop....
:banghead:

20 years ago, I'd have ridden a whole summer on that tire. Now, when the thing gets to the wear bars it's gone. I haven't seen steel cords in years...

In other words, I wouldn't ride it, but it'll be fine. :laugh:

I would just pull the wheel and take the wheel and tire to the shop. Keep track of the spacer and remove it from the wheel before you take it in. Put it back on when you get home and you have no worries. Plus it will be cheaper to swap tires.

Normally I change my tires before the cords are showing, but in May 2012 I was heading down to the gap, and I figured my tire would make it without an issue, and I would get it changed there.
We stopped for the night in Mount Jackson, Va and I noticed my cords were just starting to show.
The next day, I rode the rest of the way to the gap(475 miles).
I was lucky, as it was pretty wet most of the way, until we got to Asheville(water=less heat=less wear).
I had the tire changed at wheelers, and 5 cords were showing at that point.(if it was hot and sunny, I doubt I would have made it)

I did have people with me who had trailers if anything happened, and I already located all the bike shops along the way.

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend riding on it, if you are not comfortable doing so.
rwqwsl.jpg

Back