Is it bad to start the bike without pulling the clutch in?

SS14PSI

Registered
My bike doesn't have the clutch switch that forces you me to pull in the clutch lever before it'll start. Would starting the bike without pulling the clutch in hurt anything?

I ask this because I just installed HID's and the lowbeam gets killed on startup. I searched here and found the method to circumvent that (holding starter button down and then turning the key on). I'd rather not have to run one of those 30 second delay relays.

I know the Gen II's will throw an FI light that reads "Over Revv" eventually

Well back in the day when I first started driving, I'd just put the car in neutral, throw a little something under a wheel and walk up front and give her a good spin. Never bothered my vehicles.

My bike doesn't have the clutch switch that forces you me to pull in the clutch lever before it'll start. Would starting the bike without pulling the clutch in hurt anything?

I ask this because I just installed HID's and the lowbeam gets killed on startup. I searched here and found the method to circumvent that (holding starter button down and then turning the key on). I'd rather not have to run one of those 30 second delay relays.

I've been starting mine with the "improved HID method" for awhile now without issue.

Well back in the day when I first started driving, I'd just put the car in neutral, throw a little something under a wheel and walk up front and give her a good spin. Never bothered my vehicles.

Watch out for the kick-back, you could get a broken arm. :rofl:

Mapping is affected when no clutch switch is on bike or it's wired together.. Do Your Research, There Is More Than A Safety Reason It's There...

Mapping is affected when no clutch switch is on bike or it's wired together.. Do Your Research, There Is More Than A safety Reason It's There...

+ one on that. No clutch switch means its wired together. That means the bike runs in a neutral map.

Watch out for the kick-back, you could get a broken arm. :rofl:
Oh, not to worry, that was back in the day, we have progressed through foot depressed starter switches, key starter switches, now we have push buttons on the dashes, and voice recognition and Loomis just gets a good push :laugh:

Oh, not to worry, that was back in the day, we have progressed through foot depressed starter switches, key starter switches, now we have push buttons on the dashes, and voice recognition and Loomis just gets a good push :laugh:

I have no idea what you're talking about... :rofl:

228744_1860181238321_5992987_n.jpg

Mapping is affected when no clutch switch is on bike or it's wired together.. Do Your Research, There Is More Than A Safety Reason It's There...

+ one on that. No clutch switch means its wired together. That means the bike runs in a neutral map.

huh....I didn't build it so I can't tell you the specifics, but my bike has been wired like this for a long time and I'm pretty sure it's not on a neutral map. I don't think it would've put down 230rwhp on a neutral map. Could I be wrong here?

You bike in the avatar?

Can we see pics of your bike? Awesome!! :bowdown:

Here are a couple shots. I'm no newbie to motorcycles, but I am to Hayabusas. I have a lot to learn about these awesome bikes and this forum has soooooo much good info. I absolutely love it when I have a question about the bike, do a quick search here and BAM, there's the answer. Most recently, just a couple days ago, I needed to know how to adjust the high/low beams. Searched and there it was. The result was me going from a horrible headlight to all the light I could ever want. Here's a crappy picture. I couldn't be happier with the light while riding.
1E3E7CB2-B158-48C8-8ABC-66FA91147205-1381-000000BDD3A5012A.jpg

Recent pics here (I have since put the blue wheels back on).

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/appearance-mods/170197-new-custom-decals-skeche.html

MOST recent

D76703C5-47AA-4E56-B97F-C8737D56E0BB-1381-000000BF349E3BB2.jpg

huh....I didn't build it so I can't tell you the specifics, but my bike has been wired like this for a long time and I'm pretty sure it's not on a neutral map. I don't think it would've put down 230rwhp on a neutral map. Could I be wrong here?

My 1397 put out 206 with it. Just wait until I have it dynoed agin without the bypass. Think about it though. If the bike starts without you pulling the clutch the bike thinks it is in neutral. So it always thinks its in neutral when you are riding. Post your dyne sheet. I would love to see where the rpms run out too.

Back