Is anyone running 2 fans?

A relay will not solve your problem, it is just another way to wire the fans. It appears that you are sending too much Amperage (potetially Voltage) through the switch which would result in it getting hot. The hot switch merely indicates that your bike is potentially wired incorrectly. Being wired incorrectly could also result in draining the battery.

If you review the description of how GIXERHP has his setup wired, yours should be set up pretty much the same (although it is possible to go about the 24V setup differently the harness he has is ideal). If your system is wired like his, you do not need a relay.

If however you have wired the fans directly to the battery(s) with the switch in the middle of the circuit, I would highly recommend a relay. For the record, wiring it this way is far less ideal and potentially trouble prone than what GIXERHP has done. I do not recommend this type of design.

So, back to my original question, how are your fans wired?

--Sky

Thanks for the info. As for your question, I don't know yet. I've been working like crazy the last few days so as soon as I get a chance I'll yank off the fairing and find out how it's wired. I didn't build the motor/fan setup so I have no idea how it's wired. I'll post up as soon as I figure out how it was done. Thanks again for the input, much appreciated.

Im done,,

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Short on patience today?

I have not debated your input even in the slightest and actually value it. In my last reply I asked what a relay would do for me. Relays were mentioned earlier in the thread (not by me), so I was curious as to what they do in an electrical circuit. I am in no way trying to skirt around and fix it in a way other than what you've suggested.

Wanted to update this thread for those that may search in the future like I did.

The solution was in the wiring. The person that wired these fans up initially used wire that was too small and used crappy/cheap butt connectors. I replaced all of the wire with larger stuff (12 or 14ga is what I used I believe), and replaced the crappy connectors with good quality connectors. After doing this, the toggle switch no longer gets hot and the fans don't drain the battery while riding. I can also leave the fans running for quite a while with the bike off. I've let them run as long as 40 minutes and the battery still had enough juice to crank over easily.

I didn't change the way the fans are wired. From memory, both fans are basically wired together, then to the factory plug and also to a toggle switch. They'll come on as they would stock and the toggle turns them on or off at will.

If anyone needs a picture or more info as to how they are wired just pm me and I'll gladly yank the fairing off and get that for you. I won't get all prima donna on you act as if you're wasting my time like somebody around here :)

Back