Installing a windscreen

drizzit

Registered
Hi Guys,

I got my new windscreen and went to install it yesterday. I thought it would be a pretty straight forward install, but like everything else on this bike it is not. I removed the two bolts and thought that it would simply slid out, which it didn't. So my question to you is can anyone give me any insight as to how to R & R the windscreen? :please: Thanks.

On my 08, i simply forced out the rubber grommet, it doesn't come out easy and felt like it was going to tear, but it didn't. If your not comfy doing that I think you can remove the dash panels and get to from the back, it's a little more work but you don't get that forced feeling..

I take the grommets out when I do mine and it always feel like they'll tear but they're made of very flexible rubber.

As they said, the plastic clips expand the rubber grommets so they fit snugly. They have to be removed then pushed back again once you have the new screen in place. A little dishwashing liquid really helps to lubricate them!

As everyone said, its the small grommets. Pull the plastic above the gauge cluster, remove the bolt in the grommet, and use a small Allen wrench to push it through from the inside. It worked pretty easy for me. Getting them back in can be a pain, but if you lube them up with a soap/water solution or a tiny bit of penetrating oil, they should go back without too much trouble as long as the windshield is in all the way.

its definately a job that brings out the swearing in you!

i happened to have the inner plastics off mine at the time and knowing what it was like, id do the same again, only a 5min job to get the inner panels off and will no doubt make it easier to fit the rubbers back in.

patience is the key.

Andy.

I've found that manipulating the plastic fairing from the inside allows better inserting of the rubber grommet. Try that.

I just installed the windscreen. I pulled the grommets out with a pair of pliers. The new screen went right in. I sprayed a little WD40 on the grommets when I put them back in. Easy money. Thanks for the help everyone.:beerchug:

when doing the second r - start the bolt in the grommet and push the grommet in place with your allen wrench (after aligned properly). This elongates the rubber instead of scrunching / fighting it.. I used this technique on the Gen 1 with success. (Lube helped slide the grommet - but harms getting it tight and something always seemed to rattle if these 'buggars' are not tight)

This said....... I haven't changed my 08 screen yet. Maybe next week if I am lucky! Hope it helps.

Lube helped slide the grommet - but harms getting it tight and something always seemed to rattle if these 'buggars' are not tight
Yeah, that's why I like the dishwashing liquid trick more than WD40 etc. Once the detergent dries, it stops being slippery so everything seems to stay in place better.

Last edited:
When I installed mine the nose was off of the bike so it made it harder to get everything aligned. I had to squeeze the nose while someone elsepushed the grommet through. It is pretty straight forward though IMO. Mine was just harder to do because the nose was off the bike.

I just picked up my first Hayabusa 2009 ... and will be putting on a taller screen...are the only bolts and rubbers that we are talking about... the ones at each side, at the top??? no other parts??
thanx
tom

I just picked up my first Hayabusa 2009 ... and will be putting on a taller screen...are the only bolts and rubbers that we are talking about... the ones at each side, at the top??? no other parts??
thanx
tom

that is correct, :welcome: and congrats on the new bike :cheerleader:

Back