In the market for a 'busa - questions

dbw

Registered
Good morning.

Currently ride a FZ1 and going to get a new bike and have a few questions re the 'busa.
- range on a tank of gas riding sanely say 60 - 75 mph. Gas stations can be a little ways apart at times here.
- alternator output - can it power a vest and heated grips okay? the local shop here says it puts out 400w@5000rpm. Wonder if that's enough considering rpm@cruise speeds.
- I am 5'10", 200#, with a 30" inseam - ererything I've read here would indicate that it should work fine for comfort - wondering how others with the same dimensions find it. interesting addons like bar risers and higher windscreens available.
- Long term maintenance re cost. Reliability seems to be outstanding if you take care of it. Nice to see that if you take it easy you can get okay milage out of the tires.
-Touring - anyone use other hardbags than the Corbin product? Soft bag suggestions that work well with it?

Any input would be very much appreciated. I'm on the high side of 50, just got back into riding in the last year and put about 10000 miles on the fz1 in the last year after a 25 year break from riding. Haven't enjoyed myself this much in years as when I get on the bike. I think the Hayabusa may be the way to go for my next ride - the gray and black one has my attention. Mentioned to my girlfriend it is the least expensive midlife crisis I could find. Thanks for your input.

Good morning.
- range on a tank of gas riding sanely say 60 - 75 mph. Gas stations can be a little ways apart at times here.

I can get to work and back three times before I fill up. It is a combined highway and stop and go 34 miles each way.

- alternator output - can it power a vest and heated grips okay? the local shop here says it puts out 400w@5000rpm. Wonder if that's enough considering rpm@cruise speeds.

I do not have any hard figured, but I can power all my accessories with no problem. Stop and go does tax it though.

- I am 5'10", 200#, with a 30" inseam - ererything I've read here would indicate that it should work fine for comfort - wondering how others with the same dimensions find it. interesting addons like bar risers and higher windscreens available.

I am 6' 2" with a 32" seam. The bike seems a little small to me for the legs, but all in all, it fits good.

- Long term maintenance re cost. Reliability seems to be outstanding if you take care of it. Nice to see that if you take it easy you can get okay milage out of the tires.

I have put 2K on my busa, previous owner had 6K Other than my starter issue, I have had no large maintenance problems yet. The pervious owner had no problems also.

-Touring - anyone use other hardbags than the Corbin product? Soft bag suggestions that work well with it?

I am going to be touring soon on my busa, but haven't starter to purchase or even research bags yet...Good luck!

Hello;
I get 150 miles on a tank - 38 mpg
Alternator??? unknown
I'm 5'11'', 180, long legged. Fits me fine.
Touring - I use the harley for that.

FWIW - there is nothing faster on the road than a Hayabusa... be prepared.

range on a tank of gas riding sanely say 60 - 75 mph. Gas stations can be a little ways apart at times here.[/QUOTE]

He he he... So Young, So Nieve.... 65-70 Hasn't happened yet...
smile.gif
Or at least not very often... Busa has a way of

Umm, I usually get about 150 miles out of a tank, riding the Busa like it likes to be ridden. averaging around 80-90 or so.

Check around on the board, there is a couple of sweet used Busa's for sale...  The Busa might change completely in 2006, and it would be a shame to have just shelled out $10K for brand new bike...  

Postal is selling his all black 02' and it's been a well loved adult owned bike....  
thumbs-up.gif
 Just a thought...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100388664 -->

The Hayabusa has a generator instead of alt and yes the spec's you were quoted form the shop seem to be correct from what I recall. The gas mileage can vary depending on your riding style and upgrades . Personally my gas mileage ranges from 30 mpg to 48 mpg , it just dependz on how much you like to get down on her while smackn dat azz
biggrin.gif
. If you keep her unda 3000 rpm (long distant riding "Iron Butt") you'll be impress with the high gas mileage you can get from the Busa.
Based on the amp draw from a full heated suit (Gerbring) you shouldn't have any battery issues but for reassurance I would suggest on installing a battery gauge and placing it somewhere visible (inner fairing). So if you notice a drop and feel concerned, just drop down a gear until you reach the maxium voltage output( 5000 RPM). Keep your rev's @5000 RPM til generatpr recharges the battery back to the comfort zone.

Welome aboard Playa .
beerchug.gif

Thanks for all the information. How do you find the wind/weather,rain protection with the higher windsrcreens available?

The only increased protection you going to get from the available windscreens I've seen is "some" added wind protection and thats all .

You cant have it all dbw:D

8500.00 dollars 02 Busa very clean all black. 4500 miles contact postal on this site. I think this would be a very good first Busa and it appears to have been very well taken care of. Welcome to the board.

Actually, when I buy it'll be new. I hope to keep the next one for a few years at least. Thanks for the suggestion as to the used 'busa.

Dave

Back