I'm pretty freaked out right now

Keep in mind you can't compete with those young tuf guys but it's such an inspiration just to get it done on such a high level.

I think I'll live my life precariously through YOU! If you actually get through this event you will be my new HERO!

Have fun, I'll be anxiously awaiting the post review. :bowdown:

I think I'll go hit the weight room now. :tantrum:

Not wanting to be alarmist but i heard they had to airlift a guy off the mountain this weekend. Be safe up there man.

Not wanting to be alarmist but i heard they had to airlift a guy off the mountain this weekend. Be safe up there man.

Hi everyone! Well it's at the end of day four and it's been the adventure of a lifetime so far!
The guy they airlifted was right in front of me when he crashed.

I have to tell this story now....1000 riders hammer the first 8 miles to the "over the pass" gate (really steep) and the Rangers closed it because of blizzard conditions on top. I was at the gate when they decided to let clusters of fifty riders go every few minutes (it stopped snowing and blowing for A FEW MINUTES). I was in the first group and little did I know THEY CLOSED THE PASS AFTER THE SECOND GROUP LEFT). So there we go on a closed road into thick fog. A few minutes later HELL broke loose, wind snow and no visibility. We kept going past 12,000 feet, my glasses covered over with ice. I kept thinking if I could just make it to the summit I could start decending and it would stop! I made it over the top (12180 ft) and started going down...really steep, but it stayed stormy for miles, I was traveling at 45 mph on 1" of water, being hit in face with frozen rain AND my fingers were numb so I could barely apply the brakes.
You guys, I've been in scary situations before but never on the edge for so long! It took 30 miles of pain to finally get to safety, where Rangers parked 12 police trucks with the engines on and heaters on full blast.
A Ranger literally took me off my bike and put me into the truck....I was in total hypothermia, whole body shaking. The incident/event was on local tv and papers (how they let "some bicyclists" go before closing it down).
Anyways, I got back on my bike and completed the day! Since then I've gone over four mountain passes (no weather, just wind) and have a break day in Glenwood Springs. After that TWO MORE hard days (Loveland Pass, etc.) and it'll be over!
Tomorrow (break day) I'm going to rent a quad and go for a backcountry ride with a guide and 10 other riders (I need a mental diversion).

Take care everybody! Doyle

That is tough stuff Doyle kudos to you for not throwing in the towel, 2 more days then you can enjoy :beerchug: Don't suppose you had time to take pics:laugh: Keep at it we will read about it again when your finished :bowdown:

Rock on man, glad your ok and sounds like kicking @$$, hope it keeps going well for you be safe and keep showing up the young guys :laugh:

You are the MAN! I was struggling to put my shoes on this morning. You are truly an inspiration! Can't wait to see some pics!

Hey, no pics it didn't happen! :laugh: Kidding, honestly that is awe inspiring!!! All that training has really paid off for you. Congratulations!!! Keep up the good work! :cheerleader:

cold, wind and rain, makes for miserable conditions on a bike or motorcycle.
congratulations :thumbsup: a very impressive ride, you da man :bowdown:

I sit in a little one person cottage writing this on my laptop.....I'm in the beautiful Colorado town of Estes Park, next to the Fall River.
Some of my org buds know that I've been bicycle training for almost two years now, basically culminating in a 500 mile, 7 day test starting tomorrow. A giant loop over 11 mountain passes with hundreds of very conditioned bicycle riders. Yesterday I drove 1/2 way up then got on my bicycle and pedaled up to the 12,180 ft. summit (to see how I would do in real altitude).
At 11,750 ft. a bicyclist was 1/8th mile in front of me....a 50 kt wind gust hit him and blew him off his bike, face plant onto asphault then off the road onto rocks. I arrived 30 seconds later and rendered first aid, got the Ranger, etc. He had a broken hip, road rash and maybe broken nose.
When paramedics arrived, I left and rode into this amazing wind. I must say, it was more powerful than any wind I had been in before BUT I stayed on the bike and made it because of my motorcycle abilities. I just think dirt bike riding, track riding and all riding is an amazing asset when demands are made on a bicycle.
Anyways, it snowed up there today! This is not 500 miles across Kansas or Nebraska, it's the Rockies! I can't believe the long steep grades and weather I'll be dealing with in the next 8 days! Wish me luck, I'm bringing a camera....I look over at my skinny little bicycle in my room and think, "this ain't no Busa!"

64 years old and 215 pounds, I look at the other entrants, 30 year olds, 175 pound studs, I must be freeking crazy. Doyle

Good luck! It ain't the size (or age) of the dog in the fight, brother.

"1000 riders hammer the first 8 miles" and you're in the first group of 50 that they let go at the gate? that's what i'm talking about, you're schooling those young'ins :thumbsup: my hat is off to you bro, keep up the great job :beerchug:

I was stationed in Colorado Springs for a few years. It is amazing terrain out there. I think you are pretty awesome for having the guts to even follow through with an event like this. Win, lose or draw that says a tremendous ammount about your character. Be safe, enjoy the views and live to the fullest.

I'm glad to hear you are safe and things are going somewhat well. I heard on the radio the weather that way was getting bad I didn't think they would let you all ride in it. Keep up the good work and ride safe. If you Need anything just call. Or if you want to get together when done.

I'm glad to hear you are safe and things are going somewhat well. I heard on the radio the weather that way was getting bad I didn't think they would let you all ride in it. Keep up the good work and ride safe. If you Need anything just call. Or if you want to get together when done.

Thank you for that but the last two days are Vail Pass and Loveland Pass then I have to be shuttled to get my luggage, car, etc. I have a place in Pagosa Springs and have some commitments there right after the ride....THEN running down to Tucson to hook up with my daughter @ the University (and more bike riding). BUT, I'll make a meet with you next time I'm in Colorado, which is more and more lately! (next time I hope to be on the Busa).
This is really cool, the Tour officials arranged to let us use the computer lab in the high school of whichever city we're in on this ride....these Macs are pretty nice. Doyle

Back