I think I saw someone Die today on our ride.....Please read.

First of all Rashad I'm sorry you had to experience this. I realize it is somewhat traumatic for you. However (not to sound morbid) I do believe it was good for you to see it (and for the rest of us to hear about it). I would never really want anyone (such as yourself) to see something like this first hand, but stories like this are one heckuva reality check. Not to sound morbid, but periodically I make myself watch YouTube videos of motorcycle accidents (most of which are fatal) in order to help me "keep it real" on the street, and never forget just how fragile life is on a motorcycle. It's so easy to go faster than you should on the street when riding these awesome machines. It's also very tempting (for the sake of comfort or looking cool) to start shedding gear. The reality of it all is that we should keep these tendencies in check, so we can live to ride another day (unscathed). I will keep you, yours, and the friends/family of the downed rider in my prayers. Allow this incident to make you a better/safer rider.

D

Hey man,

I hear ya... I worked ambulace for 6 years... now and am ER/ICU nurse. I have seen that crap more than once. It is terrible. Partly why I love it though because it keeps my life real, makes you remember that life can be really short, and to appreciate what you have.

Befrore I had my busa, I had a bike and sold it after one scene I was on with the ambulance, just because it was so nasty. Just try not to dwell on it. PM if you want. Take care!

i live in NY (between elmira and corning) not far from the PA line..anytime we venture into PA i see LOTS of helmetless riders...and think to myself how STUPID can these people be...i will never ride helmetless ...EVER...

your decisions can effect your life in seconds..decide smartly and always ride with a helmet...PERIOD...please:please:

You guys are awesome...

I hope this post somehow does help someone who may have thought about not wearing his helmet to "just go up the road"...

Man this is a tight bunch of folks here. True character is defined by these types of incidents. I am so glad that I bought a busa and joined here.

I find it difficult to feel sympathy or those who self distruct. Survival during a crash without a helmet is limited. Every time I drive by a tavern filled with cruiser bikes on a sunny Sunday afternoon, I think to myself, how can so many people have such a disregard for their on well being?

My sympathy is for the poor bloke's family and friends he left behind.

RIP

Not to sound morbid, but periodically I make myself watch YouTube videos of motorcycle accidents (most of which are fatal) in order to help me "keep it real" on the street, and never forget just how fragile life is on a motorcycle.

I also do this to remind myself that consequences do exist.

i live in NY (between elmira and corning) not far from the PA line..anytime we venture into PA i see LOTS of helmetless riders...and think to myself how STUPID can these people be...i will never ride helmetless ...EVER...

your decisions can effect your life in seconds..decide smartly and always ride with a helmet...PERIOD...please:please:

I live in PA and think the same thing,I would never ride without a helmet.

sorry you witnessed that bother,if anythin it will be a constant reminder to you to wear your gear

Problem is people think it can't happen to them,it's always somebody else.They think they're too good of a rider to go down.So they don't where helmets.An idiot I once had the displeasure to work with says,get rid of that busa and buy a harley and you don't need a helmet.I ask him what did that have to do with the price of eggs in Texas ??? he said WHAT!!!! I said exactly :laugh:

31 years ago Memorial weekend I took a chunk out of the back of a helmet when I went down.Rashed up,but I got up walked 270 feet to the bike and picked it up.Without the helmet.DEAD.

Sorry you had to see that.But sometimes seeing that will save your own butt down the road.

That's sad as hell. Just one more reminder to be ATGATT, no exceptions. I keep thinking that could be one of my friends.... most of them are cruiser riders (and a LOT of them wear very limited gear, all of them wear their lids though, we do have a helmet law here in GA) and they are sick and tired of me preaching the full gear thing: dress for the crash, not the ride. Guess, I keep on preaching after all (I was about to give up on them). 'Cause I don't EVER want to see a motorcycle crash AGAIN iRL. Rashad, I've got that out of the way a long time ago (and it's still as fresh in my mind as can be), that's probably also one of the reasons I will NEVER go without full gear, EVER. Maybe that's the difference. I don't know. I just keep seeing 'my scene' over and over after I read your post.... Now I'm depressed, I think I go ride...

My thoughts go out to you and the fallen rider and his fam/friends. Hopefully, his death wasn't in vain and his buddies learned something that day.

"dress for the crash, not the ride"

and:

Dress for the SLIDE not the Ride........

When the younger less experienced guy's say "how can you be wearing that it is 90 degrees out?.................I say I dress for the SLIDE not the Ride.

Very sad , i can only imagine how you felt when you saw that. My fiance is Director of a home infusion company and they get numerous patients for motorcycle wrecks on a monthly basis. She says alot of the injuries could have been prevented if proper gear was worn!

I have to agree with some of the members comments. Although I feel very sorry for the family and loved ones of the riders who were involved I also believe that everyone is responsible for their own actions and decisions. This person made a choice not to wear the safest gear available knowing what the consequeces are. Unfortunately the consequences in this case turned out to be the worst possible.

In a similar thread today I was waiting to take my kids out with a bunch of their friends to a paintball birthday party today. While waiting for them to get in the car I noticed a neighbour of my ex's getting their V-Rod ready for a ride with the wife as a passenger. They did the tire pressure etc and got geared up......she wore a beanie helmet and fashion type black leather jacket and he wore a black t shirt and beanie helmet with jeans. I can only hope their day did not involve any contact with the road or other vehicles as they were not prepared for anything worse than a parking lot tip over. Expensive bike....cheap on the gear.???

I agree with a lot of you about the Harley mentality. Not every one of them doesnt wear gear... but most. My riding buddies are awesome with gear. If you start the trend, its almost a "keeping up with the Jones' with gear" type of game.

I noticed Ray got some new Sidi's. Now I want some. I like my buddy Rouns's full leathers. I want some. That is a rare case where trying to out do your neighbor or friend is a GOOD THING. We are influenced by our peers...so may as well be a GOOD PEER and start the full gear trend.

Can you imagine riding Harleys and being the only one to gear up in your group? You would either gear down like most do, or hate riding with them snickering and eventually you would move on to a new group. Smarter doesnt always feel better..in the short term, but its worth it.

This forum, PREACHES ATGATT and It used to go in one ear and out the other but now I really see why its repeated. Hayabusa.org is a trendsetter.

I just don't understand why people don't where their helmets. Even it there is a no helmet law. You can't control the other person on your surroundings.

Bummer... Dude no the feeling i have seen many Dead bike riders on the side of the road..to many to count...Get over it and dont let it scare you off your bike...Get back on soon...chit happins every day. When your time is up its up no matter how it happins, enjoy it while it last...

No helmet, Dumb ass... :banghead:

Take care bro

"dress for the crash, not the ride"

and:

Dress for the SLIDE not the Ride........

When the younger less experienced guy's say "how can you be wearing that it is 90 degrees out?.................I say I dress for the SLIDE not the Ride.

My answer is "My two girls expect to see me at home tonight." This story sucks. I'm sorry to read it. What's worse, I just saw an article in the newspaper today that Missouri has a bill pending to repeal the helmet law for those over 21. That's RETARDED! Dumbest thing I ever heard. I'd like to see the estate of everyone who dies due to this bill to file a class action lawsuit against the mentally deficient guy who introduced this bill.

Back