I think I made the right decision

TXBusa05LE

Registered
Today I take a ride with 2 guys I don't know.

Guy #1 has been riding for a year, has a R6 and the stickers to prove it. Has recently been arrested for evading.

Guy #2 hasn't ridden in 7 years, is about 5 feet tall, is sporting a fine Italian leather jacket, Isotoner gloves and some type of dress shoes and pants. But wait, he's riding a brand spanking new, with paper license plate, GSXR 1000!

I'm of course fully geared and basically just say, "Ride your ride"￾. I'm not planning on riding in a straight line today either.

So we're off. #1 stays pretty slow, #2 has me simply scared to death. We're taking awesome sweepers that the Busa just eats for lunch. In the mirror I see #2 crossing the double line around these and he's not even up to speed. Besides the fact that he's tippy toed and over revs it constantly.

We stop about half way into the ride, I say it's too windy and we should call it a day. I did this simply for the fact that I didn't feel like dealing with an accident. They agreed it was windy and we should quit.

Gentlemen, #2 wasn't going to last, especially on the road we were about to take. Kind of like my own mini Deals Gap.

Anyway, I'm not a professional, I ride within my limits, wear my gear and can sense when things may go wrong.

I don't think I'll be seeing #2 for a long time"¦

I think you made the right call too...

I've bailed on rides and with riders that I'm not willing to watch go down...it's not a fun place to be in, but the alternative isn't great...

Good call!
bowdown.gif

Probably the type that would easily ride over his own skill level... IMO you had two choices as a "responsible" ride leader..

Keep the pace at the lowest common denominator and teach some basic skills or call off the ride...

The basic skills would of course rely on the other 2 riders knowing that they needed the help...

I would have probably headed home myself
smile.gif

Right move.

PM me some details on them. I'm assuming you hooked up throught the local board.

beerchug.gif

No matter how his skill was I'd of bailed too if he was riding like an idiot. I wouldn't want to be around to see the accident or the cleanup. I think you did the right thing. You may have possibly even saved the kids life. It's been my experience that these young guys like to show off in front of the rest to prove themselves, not saying I'm a perfect example of a rider, but I somewhat know my limits.

yup that is a really good decicion... I have been to a few rides like that with a couple of the 1000's and I always start at the rear and within minutes find myself in the front of the pack in the small twisties here and I just pull over and wait for them to go and I do my own thing.... never understood that and makes me want to get a lighter bike to see what is the problem...
firedevil.gif

yeah, good call. I've actually had people that I know make fun of me because i wont go on certain rides with them if certain people are along. Sorry, but I'm a firm believer of protecting my ass.

one of the guys I'm referring to is new to bikes and started out on a Gixxer 1k, he went down 4x this past summer, and took others with him twice. Another one is one of the "stunters" who thinks it's cool to ride wheelies through traffic, etc.

yeah, you can make fun of me all you want, but of that group, im the only one whos bike is still 100% intact.

ib if your scoot is the only one intact it looks like you might need to find another group of people...

You did the right thing, I've done the same thing when I had a bad feeling about the riders I was with. Go with your your first mind.

Back