I SCREWED up

Kevin Cease

Registered
I put a drop of thread lock on my windshield screw and now it stripped trying to get it out. I feel stupid. But wondering if anyone has a fix in mind. I don’t want to dump a drill in there but if I do, is there a way to get that screw ordered?

image.jpg

I put a drop of thread lock on my windshield screw and now it stripped trying to get it out. I feel stupid. But wondering if anyone has a fix in mind. I don’t want to dump a drill in there but if I do, is there a way to get that screw ordered?

View attachment 1655081
What color lock tight did you put on a "windshield screw?"... no judgement...I think...kidding.. What color? Hopefully blue...?

I have not figured out how to delete posts either. Just to clean up a thread ect... Maybe someone on here could teach us please. Glad you got it out!

I stripped one of mine - totally my fault and my glasses were only about 2 steps away. I just bit the bullet and bought them from Suzi.

I did use too much blue on a screw on my tank ring and had to use one of those reverse drill bits to remove it...and reorder from Suzi.

I stripped one of mine - totally my fault and my glasses were only about 2 steps away. I just bit the bullet and bought them from Suzi.

I did use too much blue on a screw on my tank ring and had to use one of those reverse drill bits to remove it...and reorder from Suzi.
Yes blue. I got it. I can delete this post now.
So I ordered some rubber well nuts to replace the piece, they all say universal on Amazon and eBay but they are a tad to small to lock in. Will work temporarily but I need the right size wellnut that doesn’t look like a Home Depot screw in my windshield

So I ordered some rubber well nuts to replace the piece, they all say universal on Amazon and eBay but they are a tad to small to lock in. Will work temporarily but I need the right size wellnut that doesn’t look like a Home Depot screw in my windshield
The Hayabusa logo'd windshield Fastner screws on e-bay do not work on our Gen3. I did not try them on my Gen1 and I no longer have my Gen2. They ended up on that spare parts shelf.

Sometimes OEM is the only way to go for perfect fitment. You should find wellnuts at a Lowes or Ace. One of those might fit just right. Ordering OE will probably take a few weeks for delivery.

I vote for "not deleting the post." Deleting is only for more extreme situations. You have about ten minutes to delete a comment but you can't delete a post unless you ask Cap to do that.

The real topic of this post might be "DO NOT ever, ever, EVER use thread locking agent on well nut screws. Unfortunate yet interesting that a steel screw stripped from this. Normally I'd expect the well nut to spin in the hole while the threads remained locked. That'd be a bigger problem. Tighten well nuts just snug, they won't come loose, do not use thread locker under any circumstances. Once you feel resistance while threading in, the rubber sleeve is getting pulled shorter top to bottom and expanding in the hole, you don't need much more tension that that. I can't remember ever having a wellnut screw fall out and I don't tighten much past where I feel the rubber getting squashed. The rubber maintains tension on the screw head and it probably absorbs a lot of vibration too.

Back