Body screws

Willie G

Registered
OK, hopefully I'm not the only dummy that has had this happen.

Coming from a H-D background there is a tendency to make sure that everything is TIGHT.  Maybe even use a little Locktite, just to be sure it doesn't fall off.

On the screws that hold the body panels to the frame, THIS IS A BAD IDEA!

They are 4mm allen head screws.  You can get tired of twisting that allen wrench around and around and around....  One of those allen wrench sockets would let you use a ratchet - much faster!  BAD IDEA!!!  The use of a ratchet allows you to use too much torque on the screw, which will lead to a stripped out head.  These screws are made from soft metal.

So, when it finally happens, the solution is easy.  Grab a 3/8 drill with a 3/8 drill bit in it and drill the head of the screw.  Because of the shoulder on the screws, you can drill the head completely off - just like drilling out a rivet.  Once the head is off, remove the body panel.  That nice, long shoulder is sticking right out there where you can reach it with pliers or vise-grips and unscrew it from the frame.

Go to the dealer, pay $3 for the replacement screw (that's EACH!) and bring it home to install.

Oh, and get a set of metric allen T-wrenches.  Not much chance of over-torqueing that way....

wink.gif

sorry, but I have to LOL right now.

Note to self: Don't ever take shortcuts when it pertains to maintaining a motorcycle.

Glad you got it fixed though. I may need to do that someday myself.
all_coholic.gif

Much easier to use a screw out mounted in a portable drill !! 15 second fix. Then replace with new screw.

(MR X @ Dec. 15 2006,00:58) Much easier to use a screw out mounted in a portable drill !! 15 second fix. Then replace with new screw.
Now you tell him
ices_rofl.gif

i came from the h.d. background also, like you say tight is not tight enough, go a little more with the h.d.

***Be very careful not to heat up the screw from the drill.You will be sure to melt the plastic!!***

(MR X @ Dec. 14 2006,22:58) Much easier to use a screw out mounted in a portable drill !! 15 second fix. Then replace with new screw.
+12
or you get a 4.5 mm allen screwdriver bit & hit it in with hammer. then you can remove it

sad i kno this...

(gat0r @ Dec. 15 2006,23:55)
(MR X @ Dec. 14 2006,22:58) Much easier to use a screw out mounted in a portable drill !! 15 second fix. Then replace with new screw.
+12
or you get a 4.5 mm allen screwdriver bit & hit it in with hammer.  then you can remove it

sad i kno this...
Guys -

Both of those methods were tried and didn't work in this case, which is why I posted.

Like I said, leave it to a H-D rider to really screw it up....
tounge.gif

(Willie G @ Dec. 16 2006,09:24)
(gat0r @ Dec. 15 2006,23:55)
+12
or you get a 4.5 mm allen screwdriver bit & hit it in with hammer.  then you can remove it

sad i kno this...
Guys -

Both of those methods were tried and didn't work in this case, which is why I posted.

Like I said, leave it to a H-D rider to really screw it up....  
tounge.gif
been there done that.... lol....

Get a dremel with a small grinder like the size of a small striaght screw driver and be very careful when cutting a new line across the middle of the fairing bolt... then use the screw driver to remove the one you just toasted and put a new one in its place..... hope this helps... I've done it a bunch of times....
beerchug.gif

Willie I did the same thing twice.. And both times I used your method to fix drillem out and grab with vise grips..
super.gif

I use those allen sockets all the time. Never had a problem yet.

Then again, I was never a Hardley rider!

--Wag--

Back