I heard that Dynojets getting sued

The Big Red One

Registered
Just wondered if you guys had heard anything about Dynojet getting sued? I'm sure if they are, its about emmissions and their products. I hope this isn't the case, because once this kinda stuff starts it just spreads...next thing you know no more exhausts ect. I imagine the day might come when all we can change on a bike is gearing. And you know the exhaust/emmissions systems are going to get heavier and heavier
sad.gif

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) announced recently that it concluded an investigation against Dynojet Research, Inc. At issue was the company's "Power Commander" that can be used to alter the air-fuel mixture and engine timing of on- and off-road motorcycles. CARB said that the installation of these devices would adversely affect the emissions control systems of vehicles that were certified by the original equipment manufacturers to comply with the agency's emissions standards. Dynojet has now certified a California version of the "Power Commander" and has agreed to pay $1,000,000 in penalties to the California Air Pollution Control Fund.

yeah but for a company like Dynojet, $1M is the equivalent of us cleaning and finding change in the couch...

yeah but for a company like Dynojet, $1M is the equivalent of us cleaning and finding change in the couch...
True, but now that this has happened, where will it stop? Are they going to start going after K&N, Two Brothers, etc...? WHat about all of the turbo and nitrous manufacturers? This battle probably should have been fought a bit more.

WHAT? I thought they would go after the USERs for that device. you know, how it is designed for "RACE USE ONLY" and the PEOPLE using it on the street are breaking the law. How is the company that manufacture it at fault? did they say it's for street using knowing it effected emmissions? I agree, not a good thing for modders at all
sad.gif
Won't nearly every after factory pipe fail this test also?

Isn't this about the Power Commander being addressed? The exhaust system is not being targeted. Well looks like the PC will be rather tame now that it has to comply with regulations. I am glad to have the "unrestricted version"
thumb_up.gif
What will they think of next?
guns.gif

Man, that Swartzenegger is sure getting the job done down there. He's more devastating than the T3 machine he used to be. How ironic that the board members came up with a department name who's acronym is CARB.

Mike B

How ironic that the board members came up with a department name who's acronym is CARB.
They did it on purpose, because... it's the People's Republik of Kalifornia, comrade.  
laugh.gif

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
WHAT?  I thought they would go after the USERs for that device.  you know, how it is designed for "RACE USE ONLY" and the PEOPLE using it on the street are breaking the law.  How is the company that manufacture it at fault?[/quote]

Believe me... trust me... CARB is chock-full of goose-stepping Brownshirts. They take their approach in these matters from a purpose-trained fighting pit-bull.... once the teeth have sunk into the flesh, there is NO let-up until the opponent is a non-twitching carcass.

That whole CARB outfit is just about as f******-up as a soup sandwich.

Dyno-Jet isn't playing their game, however. They realize how stupid this CARB s*** is, and so have simply created a software version for the PC-IIIusb that does not alter the fuel cells that CARB has deemed you can not alter. Basically, the EX model has idle to 4k locked out (while the PC-IIIusb can be used to remap the whole range). The People's Republik of Kalifornia tests the emissions at and below 4k, so in order to be CARB approved, that area can not be tampered with.

Sadly, these 4K and below cells are fairly critical for your bike to be able to tune well, so it is basically a waste of money. Anyone who knows diddley about the reasons you install a Power Commander in the first place will simply purchase the normal PC-IIIusb anyway.

<edited for language-professor>

What a bunch of BS, Years ago they stop car makes from using R12 freon and went to R134A, Did you know that when NASA launches the space shuttle all that white cloud smoke is 10000 lbs of (R12) freon to cool the rockets before taking off. And a avg cars used 2 to 3 pounds. Government is just about someone HARD earned money.
Jon(Loomis).

What a bunch of BS, Years ago they stop car makes from using R12 freon and went to R134A, Did you know that when NASA launches the space shuttle all that white cloud smoke is 10000 lbs of (R12) freon to cool the rockets before taking off. And a avg cars used 2 to 3 pounds. Government is just about someone HARD earned money.
Jon(Loomis).
Are you sure about that??

The white 'smoke' is actually steam. Just before launch, about 300,000 gallons of water is poured onto the launch pad to be used as sound-suppression. Of course, when that much 'fire-power' hits the water, it turns into steam.

The liquid oxygen is actually used to cool the rockets. It is run thru a series of pipes that surround the bell-housing before being sent to the engine, thus cooling it...

CARB deals with alot more than just California . I work in the petroleum industry down here in South Flofids and with the gas stations down here all of the equipment has to be CARB approved, and it is not only Florida that has adopted the standards of CARB. I know that there are many other states that have adopted CARB's standard also. If this is happening in California I think that it will only be a matter of time that other states start adopting more of CARB's ideas. My .02

now they can charge extra for a california CARB ceritifed PC
cool.gif
They'll be one of the few certified which will boost sales even more.

So the funny thing about this which proves its all about the money is that they paid a chunk of money as a fine. I didnt see anything where they were to stop manufacturing or change any behavior that would improve output. This is a typical pay off to the govt. to sell the devices...

It reminds me of the mafia and the two goons showing up at the door every week for "protection" fees. Cali just told Dynojet that Friday is here and its time to pay up.

I'm all about the environment and doing the right thing, lets just make it even and fair and stop the madness about the money.... What changes is the million going to make in the process, nothing... you could pay 20 million and thats not going to help the environment either. If you dont change something then the results each time will be the same....

Its crap

cap

Jon(Loomis).
Are you sure about that??

The white 'smoke' is actually steam.  Just before launch, about 300,000 gallons of water is poured onto the launch pad to be used as sound-suppression.  Of course, when that much 'fire-power' hits the water, it turns into steam.

The liquid oxygen is actually used to cool the rockets.  It is run thru a series of pipes that surround the bell-housing before being sent to the engine, thus cooling it...
Yep, I agree with Ohms here, we had a shuttle astronaut (Ron Sega) as our Engineering Dean at University of Colorado, he gave many lectures into shuttle details. NASA trys to be politically/environmentally correct. The hydrogen/oxygen engines on the shuttle(not boosters,they are solid aluminum/thermite based propellant), also turns to steam on liftoff.

An interesting story I did come across at UCCS in the early 90's was one about the military going to ozone friendly coolant for nuclear weapons subsystems, thank goodness when a nuke goes off we can be assured we dont have to worry about nasty fluorocarbon damage to the ozone years later
laugh.gif

Back