HUD Helmets?

Trust me I know that I don't need it and I already feel it's too much money anyway. I only "considered" it because of the data it offers I usually go alone and have no one to keep track of my lap times, speed and things like that. Obviously it's not something you would even consider due to weight. I've never tried one so I don't know what to expect from it. I hear that the weight is placed mostly on the rear of the helmet with all the electronics being put there. http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/skully-ar-1-helmet-preview

I'm curious if anyone has actual experience with this helmet or any others like it. Whether trackday or not.

definately a kool product tho and I'm sure in the future many helmets will offer this. I wud give up a little weight to be able to see behind me. I'm always nervous some1 is gonna azzhole me at a stop light. guy just died locally about a month ago taking a ride on a sunday up in the mountains and some dumb chic text messaging rear ended him at a red light breaking his neck. some sad shiit for sure and totally preventable.

IDN if seeing behind wud have saved him from being struck but maybe from being killed cause he cud have seen that she wasn't slowing down and cud have rode forward slightly possibly. thats why I never put my bike in neutral at a red light just in case I need to get the hell out of some1's way

it seems like quite a bit of R&D has gone into this helmet and the optics are incredible. I do like the E-Tint screen that is very kool. looks pretty badass tho. I can only assume the speakers are built into the helmet and pretty decent. not a race helmet but I guess a pretty kool street helmet depending on weight.

I don't like that little HUD camera in front of the right eye but maybe its not noticeable. I think where this is gonna fall short is you don't read about them bragging about how safe the actual helmet is. they go on and on about how much safer one will be on the street as far as wat they can see but nothn about wat level of safety the helmet has or how much it weighs. I guess it wud pair right up with ur iPhone but they don't say how u change the settings.

and at $1500 its gonna have to be proven safe vs. all the gimmicks. and I'm not sure how I feel about havn a display cause watching that video makes it obvious its right in ur face basically. not sure if that wud b a distraction or not. sure wud b nice to see behind me tho i must admit and wud hav no issue paying the extra money if it was proven safe and relatively lightweight considering wats been added.

This would seem to be a shoe-in for touring riders. Having the HUD navigation would be a very good fit there. But having the added mass (to say nothing of the added complexity in relation to crash-worthiness) of a camera, projector and any other accompanying hardware is just a bridge too far in the short term. Purely my opinion, but until you see someone like an Arai, Shoei or Schuberth etc. incorporating this tech into their front line helmets, it is just a bit too soon to go dumping that kind of coin on something like this, from a company with zero experience in doing so.

I have been posting about that helmet for over a year. The bad thing about this helmet is that know one has one and they have pushed it back 3 times allready. Once I see some one get one and talk about it on YouTube I will probley buy one.

well, the fact that they have pushed it back several times is probably a good thing. I jus wish I cud find some more info on the safety of this helmet. after all, isn't that wat a helmet is supposed to be safe right? kinda defeats the primary purpose of a helmet if it jus has bells and whistles but won't adequately protect ur noggin.....:whistle:

I'm seriously considering it for track days.

On the track, never look down at the instruments. Go as fast as you can and when the shift light flashes upshift. There is nothing else there you need to know except the gear position occasionally, and the Skully doesn't have that. Or a Tachometer either for that matter.

So, I saved you $1500. Nice helmet though if it works. Could be a real winner on the street.

There is an app called Track Attack. Very cool! It has most of the major US tracks in it already so you turn your phone on and it know when you cross the start/finish line and times you. You see sectors and all. Get the Pro version. You can have the phone in a pocket and it will track your time. I would show you my times at VIR but they are too embarrassing.

I think where this is gonna fall short is you don't read about them bragging about how safe the actual helmet is. they go on and on about how much safer one will be on the street as far as wat they can see but nothn about wat level of safety the helmet has or how much it weighs. I guess it wud pair right up with ur iPhone but they don't say how u change the settings.

Won't they have to meet DOT or SNELL or both? That should cover safety shouldn't it?

On the track, never look down at the instruments. Go as fast as you can and when the shift light flashes upshift. There is nothing else there you need to know except the gear position occasionally, and the Skully doesn't have that. Or a Tachometer either for that matter.

So, I saved you $1500. Nice helmet though if it works. Could be a real winner on the street.[/QUOTE

Ya the Skully doesn't have the whole tachometer thing. http://www.ridenuviz.com/#intro Nuviz has one though. I don't want to sound like I'm sponsoring this or trying to make a movement but I would give up my full yoshi exhaust and power commander to be able to see behind my head and have some of those other features.

well, ud hope at least DOT. but wen its Snell the company always makes it a point to point out its Snell certified. German motorcycle helmets are "DOT" certified but won't necessarily protect ur head adequately.

Won't they have to meet DOT or SNELL or both? That should cover safety shouldn't it?

Back