How's the Ride from Baltimore?

Lapp

Registered
I'm thinking about riding from Baltimore, MD to the Gap sometime in the next couple months.  Not sure if I can line up with the Bash date.

I was thinking of a 3 day trip:
  1 day to ride down (600 miles);
  1 day at the Gap (a few hours having fun);
  and 1 day return (600 miles).

I've never really did a long-haul trip and I'm wondering how much toll it would take on me if I tried to do the ~600 miles in one day.   Will I wear myself out too much and not enjoy the day planned at the Gap?  Will it be dangerous at the Gap or on the return trip if I'm fatigued?

I have about 7000 miles under my belt over the last 10 years or so.  I'm definitely not afraid to do the ride, but not sure what I'm getting myself into.

Any advice would be great.  If I do the 600 miles in one leg how often should I rest or should I plan on 2 days?

I'll probably be going with a friend that has less experience (riding a 2004 BMW R1150R).

---

Another thought I had was to rent a truck and drive the bikes down.  Can you secure bikes in a Ryder/Rental truck?

I'm riding a 2006 Black/Gray Busa with 2000 miles.

Thanks,
Eric

600 miles a day on a Busa isn't that bad.  However, if you normally ride less than a 1,000 miles a year, you probably haven't built up your endurance for this type of trip.  You are looking at more than a year of your normal riding compressed into 3 days.  If you want to do it, here's my $0.02:

Modifications to my Busa: 1 1/4" bar risers to relieve back strain, TL1000 pegs for more leg room, AudioVox Cruise Control so I can rest the throttle hand, Puig double bubble screen for better wind protection, +1 front sprocket for reduced vibration and improved gas mileage.  

1. You should work your way up to it.  There are ways to build up your endurance, but it requires lots of riding. Seat time is the best way to increase your riding distances. I know, I know, it's a sacrifice

2. Earplugs! I can't stress earplugs enough. The constant wind noise, and engine noise will wear you down. Not to mention the damage to your hearing.

3. Hydration is VERY important. Make sure you are hydrated before leaving, otherwise anything you do on the road is just playing catch-up.  If you can stand wearing a small backpack while riding, I'd suggest getting a Camelbak, and learn how to drink from it on the move. It's not too hard to get the bite valve up between the chinbar of the helmet and your chin. Getting dehydrated will seriously tire you out, and you'll be taking alot of extra time at gas stops if your trying to rehydrate standing still.  I drink about a liter of water per tank of gas.   Slamming a redbull at each gas stop won't keep you hydrated on a long ride.

4. Compression shorts (aka bikecycle shorts under your leathers) believe it or not these can reduce saddlesore a great deal.

5. Do not rely on pills and caffine to get you through. A regiment of aspirin or Ibuprofin can mask the damage your doing to yourself.

6. Meals should not be huge, but modest in size. So no double quarter pounders and fries for lunch. Too much food will cause what some of us call 'food coma' not a good thing to go into while trying to ride. But don't try to exist on Powerbars and Gatorade. Eat sensibly.

7. Something as simple as a Throttle rocker (less than $20), can help exend your range. A cruise control of some type is better, but they're more expensive and depending on what you get can take some adjusting to get right.

BusaWhipped thanks very much -- that was excellent advice!!!

I'll probably skip the mods this time because I think I'm going to trade my bike in for a 2008 next spring.  I'll try do a couple longer rides before the big trip to build up my tolerance.

Back