Hayabusa Owners Group

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How tough is the Busa gearbox?

OB_CanuckBusa

Registered
My shifts with the Busa generally go well. But when I'm accelerating hard through first, and usually only when I am practicing wheelies, when I go to second I sometimes miss second and end up with neutral (I think lowering my shift lever, or reversing it will take care of this problem). Other than the embarrassment, not a big problem so far.

Once I see that I got neutral, I drop the revs, pull the clutch in fully, I then go for second gear. Apparently I have lost 'synchro' because when I select 2nd gear (with the clutch pulled in) I get a good clunk and even some not so good sounding gear mesh noise.

This happened a couple of times last week, and I got annoyed, so instead of shifting to 2nd from neutral I slowed down quite a lot and drop back down into 1st. Same problem. Either a good clunk or gear mesh noise.

Note that I am not hard on the throttle when I attempt to reshift (after missing the first shift). So I'm not banging gears under load.

But with some of the noise, I am wondering how hard is this on the tranny? How tough is the Busa tranny? I certainly hope I'm not damaging the tranmission of a great bike with my occassional misshift.

Shifts to any other gear work fine.

I am getting close to converting to the reverse shift pattern.

I have the same problem once in a while. Just try to make your shifts crisp and deliberate. I think the gearbox is strong. I often shift without the clutch.

The only way to avoid hearing that meshing noise is to stop the bike and put it back in gear, or you can try slowing down quite a bit and w/clutch pulled in ofcoarse, and put it back into second. You might need to bring ur shift lever down some also.

I lost sync on mine on the way down,just when i needed it big time.Good news is i missed the car,lamp post,road sign(sharp bend)and the tree! Hit the kerb landed on the grass,s/h front wheel £180.

Just to add to the fun fitted a quickshifter tonight,set-up and test to follow.

well , welcome to "i hate my tranny " club .
i miss second all the time . tried lowering the shift lever . better but not fixed .
new airshifter goes on this week . ill let ya know how that goes.....
anybody else tried hooking up the shift light shiftminder to work as an rpm activated switch so you can flip a switch and set the desired shift rpm so it shifts automatically ? thats the setup im trying .
id like some inout from anyone else that may have tried this !!

if you have synthetic oil it should help with smoother shifts. also the shifter placement and mental awareness everytime you shift---but prctice makes perfect!

Top Bottom