How to remove the fairings

hierog

Registered
okay, i thought i was going to start my teardown today, but i can't figure out how to remove the fairing from the top black piece (the black inner next to the gas tank). i think i see them screwed together at the top, but i can't get to the screw.

what am i doing wrong guys?

thanks

vic

take off the entire side fairing, its attached to it. when you are pulling it off there is a small black plug that just pops out next to the tank..

okay, i thought i was going to start my teardown today, but i can't figure out how to remove the fairing from the top black piece (the black inner next to the gas tank).  i think i see them screwed together at the top, but i can't  get to the screw.

what am i doing wrong guys?

thanks

vic
gather a torch, sledgehammer and sawzall....the answer will be obvious...

I recommend if you are talking about the "lower panel"....remove all visiable bolts and tug.

It shows most of this stuff in your owners manual...

BTW,not trying to be a smart a$$,but if this is a problem for you already...what are you planning to do after you get them off???

this is the piece that i can't get off

fairing.jpg

going to track the bike on Saturday, so i need to pull some fuses and drain the coolant. thought it would be quicker to post for an answer - i don't know offhand where i have place my manual

thanks

vic

It stays attached to your fairing...

There are two fairing bolts that you need to remove and a push rivet. There is a push rivet right under where the windscreen mounting screw is on the black panel. There is bolt at the center right below the speedo and a bolt on the black panel.

this is the piece that i can't get off
Yep, that's the part that basically has a plug on it going in a hole in the frame. I always complain cause I forget about it. Make sure you have ALL of the screws out on the sides and bottom. Then, as best you can get your hands on the black part of your fairing (the part that's stuck) and wiggle and pull hard. The plug is about 2-4 inches in from the right side under that black plastic shown in the pic.

to get that black part off.. there is one black plastic rivet..then another metal hex screw.. take both of these out. the plastic one is a litte hard.. but yank it out.

now after all the other metal screws have been reomve.. the ones below.. including the belly pan on the very bottom.. grab a hold of the black plastic part and jerk it up.. there is a plastic knob underneath that snap into place.. you will have to pull it up to get it to pop out.
should bit.

pm me if you need more details.
thanks.

you don't need to take that piece off to get to the fuses.

btw.. is this your first time at the track? what gearing are you running?

to get that black part off.. there is one black plastic rivet..then another metal hex screw.. take both of these out. the plastic one is a litte hard.. but yank it out.

now after all the other metal screws have been reomve.. the ones below.. including the belly pan on the very bottom.. grab a hold of the black plastic part and jerk it up.. there is a plastic knob underneath that snap into place.. you will have to pull it up to get it to pop out.
should bit.

pm me if you need more details.
thanks.
okay, i'll give her a try. I did pull the black plastic rivet - do i pull it out totally, or just until in "un-snaps"? every other bolt is out, i just didn't want to snap anything off

thanks again for the help guys

vic

you have to take the left upper panel off to get to the fuses. Hex head in the middle below the gauge cluster, same hex head shared with the left side panel, and the little plastic pop in fastner in the top left conner of the panel. taking this off will also make it easier for you to take the left under cowling off.

btw IMO... for the track you should dump the TRE...

<!--EDIT|Commuta_Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144174788 -->

which side of the hose did you take off? the side by the pump is the better choice...

when you refill with distilled water make sure you burp the cooling system.

Just an FYI, get a yogurt cup or baby food jar to keep those screws in when you pull everything out or next week you'll be wanting to know where to buy the bolts and flippin out when you hear they are around $5.00 a piece not to mention the frustration of trying to find the black push pins at an auto store (which you can't). Be safe and have fun.

Just an FYI, get a yogurt cup or baby food jar to keep those screws in when you pull everything out or next week you'll be wanting to know where to buy the bolts and flippin out when you hear they are around $5.00 a piece not to mention the frustration of trying to find the black push pins at an auto store (which you can't). Be safe and have fun.
+1

Back