how to lengthen the chain?

if you're just going to add 1 link you can probably get away with just adding a second master link

otherwise if you're looking to extend your swingarm or something of some significance, just get a new chain of the right length. you don't want to have a bunch of master links strung together for a longer chain. sounds a bit dangerous to me.

Just stretch the chain with lots of burnouts and wheelies!!!

Ok, on a serious side. I don’t think I would want to "add" a link. I think it would be better if anything to remove links. But preference would be to purchase the right size chain.

If anyone is questioning my reason, as “stretching itâ€￾ as it might be.

If you try and add a link you always run a risk of dissimilar metals, or even different strength metals which could / would cause a weak link (you know what they say about weak links in a chain lol.. ehem. Anywho)

If you cant purchase the correct size chain, at least by purchasing a longer chain, not only is it EASIER to remove a link than to add a link, but the chain should still retain it’s integrity providing the chain is not damaged when you remove links.

Just my .02

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117609665 -->

The added links should be same make and model chain as the chain it's being added.
The next new chain I get is going to be longer. Cut it to length. That way have spare links to legthen or repair busted links.
Using the Rivet type master link for repaired sections.

The added links should be same make and model chain as the chain it's being added.
The next new chain I get is going to be longer. Cut it to length. That way have spare links to legthen or repair busted links.
Using the Rivet type master link for repaired sections.
Thanks, I forgot that I still had the rest of my chain from when I cut it to length. It was an EK (no "O" ring) racing chain. I cut it to length (probably a little on the long side), but after about 500-600 miles of hard riding, some 2-up and full-out high speed runs, my chain was running about 2" slack, even with the adjuster all the way out! So, I removed 2 links! NOT A WISE THING TO DO! Now, I'm about 3/16" too short!

I guess I'll have to buy that chain tool and replace some of the links!

Getting a chain tool would be the first step
biggrin.gif

Back