How Many of You Use a Mac????

JGGUNS

Registered
Just out of curiosity how many members of the Apple "cult" use this board? I gotta say, I recently bought my first Mac (13" Macbook Pro) and I absolutely love it. I've wanted one for a long time and I have been studying and trying to convince myself that the Price difference was really going to yield a better machine. It'll do everything my PC would once I installed Office 2011 and the Citrix Receiver plus a whole lot more right out of the box. If I didn't have to keep my perpetually crashing PC around to run ECU editor I would go toss it in a lake.

Any Mac people on here with words of wisdom?

you can use boot camp (included in your software) to partition your hard drive and install windows on part of your mac. boom, now you can toss your laptop in the lake.

I thought about that but I think the cost of a clean copy of Windows will offset the benefit for me. That is the only reason that I still need a windows based machine.

dump all the extra junk off your windows machine, take it to the mac store, and tell them you want to "ghost" the drive on your windows machine and move it to a partition on your mac. they'll know what that means. basically, your windows machine would live inside your mac. so all your old stuff, you'd still have access to. or be like me and snag a cracked copy of xp or 7 off a torrent.

I would not go back to a PC if someone offered it to me for FREE. my macbook pro is the best $2g's ive ever spent.

it does things that a PC could only dream of doing and its AMERICAN made.

nothing out sourced to china or some other third world country....:whistle: no viruses, spyware, malware. starts up within about 10 seconds every time. awesome screen, battery life, construction, useability, reliability, backlit keys, just awesome in every way. the only thing im sorry about is waiting so long to buy one.

and ive used about 5% of what it can actually do.....

ive got one macbook, its an oddball unibody 15" before the pro 15" came out, and ive got a pc i use as well. i use the pc for when im on the road. if it gets stolen or damaged it was $500. no big loss, and to run programs that i cant run on the mac os. i dont want to use up my hard drive for another os i rarely need.

I used to have windows a few years back, then i bought an iMac. I will never go back to windows again.
No*need for anti-virus or security software and macs don't crash like windows.
I have Parallels Desktop on my mac so i can get windows on my mac.

Make sure you set Office 2011 to automatically check for updates. This will ensure that you don't transmit a virus that won't affect the Mac, to a PC. Also, if you're only using Word, you should give Pages a try for a few weeks. You can "export" (save) your documents to Word, and there are very few compatibility issues when you open it in Word on a PC. I found Word to be a bit buggy from time to time, so I just went back to Pages.

Also, because your Mac should be set to receive daily virus updates from Apple (it updates in the background through a setting that says "automatically update safe downloads list" in the security settings), don't believe any communications (email or pop-ups) that say a virus has been detected. It's the only way, right now, to infect a Mac with a virus. That is, the user needs to agree to something to cause a virus to install. Also, if you install any Adobe programs, you'll need to make sure they're updated yourself. You might want to change the security setting that says "automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections," because of the recent issue with certificate fraud. This way, you can decide. Or, you can set it to block all incoming connections. In Safari preferences, make sure to uncheck "Open 'safe' files after downloading." This way, if something suspicious is downloaded by accident, it will not open unless you decide to do so.

Finally, while Apple products are designed in California, they are manufactured overseas (I think mostly in China and Taiwan.)

One of the main reasons I got a Mac was to get rid of Windows and its vulnerabilities that come through all the holes in its OS. If you load Windows on the partition you have to take care of it just like you would any other PC. Quite frankly, I'm tired of spending my time fixing crashes and registry errors. I have ECU Editor on the old laptop if it is ever needed again but outside of that I don't plan on going back to Windows anytime soon.

I have had one for a few years now and love it. I don't do much with it but get on the net and look around. Russell had helped me load a windows thing on it to use the ECU editor but it slowed everything down so much I took it off. I bought the editor and have never used it yet. I am always learning new things on it and don't think I would ever go back to a PC. I just wish the Mac wasn't so exp. $$ wise.

The Chinese factory where most iPhones reach final assembly employs 230,000 workers. I just asked Siri how many cities in the US have a population higher than that, and the answer was a mere 83 cities -- and that's total population, not workforce. With an average labor force of around 65 percent of the population, only 50 US cities are large enough to provide that kind of labor pool... and even in the biggest US city of them all, New York, 230,000 people still amounts to almost three percent of the city's entire population. Can you imagine three out of every hundred New Yorkers on an assembly line, cranking out iPhones every day?

Its had to imagine that many people working in one place

Back