how low to go?

mwilkins21

Registered
hi guys im new to this forum as i just got my new 09 busa a few months ago. so far ive done the 2bros dual slip on aluminum exhaust and have a set of double chrome kanji lowering links that are adjustable from stock to 1.5 to 3 inches i wanna go the full 3 but i weigh 250 and am concerned of draggin the rear and sometimes i ride with a passenger and that concerns me too what should i do is 1.5 even noticable?

:welcome: to the oRg. It's your ride and you can adjust that height as you figure things out. At 3 inches with a passenger you're gonna have issues. Any lowering will bring hard parts closer to dragging. Even at 1.5 inches you bottom out at times. It's gonna depend a lot on how and where you ride. You'll figure it out.

I'm down 1.5r and .5f. As do3 said I still bottom out at time and some time when she stands up shell scrape on the way down. But I still ride two up and feel a lot more confident with two feet flat vs tiptoe.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm down 1.5r and .5f. As do3 said I still bottom out at time and some time when she stands up shell scrape on the way down. But I still ride two up and feel a lot more confident with two feet flat vs tiptoe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Valid point, you can also mod the seat for this..............

You can lower a full three inches without worring about bottoming out. A very simple shock modification is the best fix. The shock mod is actually a fabricated piece that we make and install into the shock to limit the travel so you will never bottom out. It does not interfere with the bikes handling, however it will prevent the bike from bottoming out thus destroying your undertail and is a MUST expecially of you are carrying a passenger. You can also stiffen the shock as well but again, this will not prevent a "bottom out" and you will notice a difference in the handling with a stiffer shock.

rearshock01sm.jpg

Posted via Mobile Device
Throw on some platform shoes or something...

When I lower mine to the 3 inch mark it'll scrape the swingarm every now and then with just me on it (can't really notice while running WOT but you can see the marks when you look)...I run straight with it lowered this much but I'd be real careful~!~

As soon as I get back from the races it goes back to stock height~!~

IMO double up, I'd think 1.5 would be a good idea...but can do a test to see

Last edited:
You can lower a full three inches without worring about bottoming out. A very simple shock modification is the best fix. The shock mod is actually a fabricated piece that we make and install into the shock to limit the travel so you will never bottom out. It does not interfere with the bikes handling, however it will prevent the bike from bottoming out thus destroying your undertail and is a MUST expecially of you are carrying a passenger. You can also stiffen the shock as well but again, this will not prevent a "bottom out" and you will notice a difference in the handling with a stiffer shock.

I would think that would definitely affect the handling by limiting travel, and changing compression and rebound. Good on the hand that it will prevent you from eating out the rear fender, but it doesn't do a lot for the front, if it's lowered to match or lowered period. I don't know a great deal about this so set me straight if I'm misleading anyone in my opinion here.

I would think that would definitely affect the handling by limiting travel, and changing compression and rebound. Good on the hand that it will prevent you from eating out the rear fender, but it doesn't do a lot for the front, if it's lowered to match or lowered period. I don't know a great deal about this so set me straight if I'm misleading anyone in my opinion here.

Lowering and ajusting susp accordingly will affect handling. No need for debate. And unless you live on a freshly paved freeway and never pull into parking lots, driveways, you will scrape when your down 3
Posted via Mobile Device

on the new busa gen2 you can realy only lower the front about 3/4"

the forks taper in after that and the bottom pinch bolt on the lower tree will do nothing !

i had mine 1.3 front and 1.5 back looks good had no problems bottoming out or anyting !

then i read and noticed the forks taper so i broght it back up

so for now im sitting at 3/4" front and 1.5" back !

and yea 1.5" is noticable !

i lowered my bike 3 inches rear and about one inch at the frontend with stock suspensions and a very stiffy setup. the biggest problem when riding this setup wasn´t the bottom ground clearance, but the bodywork and even alternator-cover touched the street while cornering. so i replaced the lowering links by an adjustable set and went back to a 2.2 inch lowering at the back-end. front-lowering still untouched. i´m very satisfied with this setup. clearance is good enough for my driving-abilities. lower would look better, no doubt, but also would reduce the fun-factor when cornering... and i love cornering :whistle: so this is no option to me.

Last edited:
You guys that say you never scrape have stock exhaust?
That's what scrapes on mine are the lower two pipes that are below where the two fairing come together.
Posted via Mobile Device

My '06 was 2 in the rear and 1 1/4 in the front. Hit and damaged those two inner tubes on rough roads, and scraped fairings, and pegs in corners. With two up I was hitting the rear inner fender at times.

had just one tube-impact when riding the 1 / 3.0 setup, but exhaust wasn´t not stock, but an arrow 4-2-1. i was able to fix the tube with a torch and some brutal force ;-). 1 / 2.2 without any impacts till now.

ya im going to do 1.5 in the rear and stock up front hopefully i wont scrape anything on my new bike :) and hope i can ride two up still like i said i weigh 250 so 1.5 is enough i guess. i have the two bros dual slip ons so i shouldnt hurt my exhast cornering should i? and does any one have pics of a genII just lowered 1.5 in the rear?

There's pics of my bike in the gen2 sect but its lowere .5 in the front. Click my name and check under threads I've started. Or go to the aftermarket parts sticky. There's a ton of pics in there mine is a few pages back.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back