How long does your battery charger last?

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Started off with a Yuasa charger, advertised as maintaining plus desulfate. Went poof after one year.

Got another, went poof after a couple of weeks, got a warranty replacement. That one went poof pretty much after another year.

Tried a Harley Davison branded one, lasted two and a half years.

Replaced with another Harley one, went poof after two years.

Now replaced with a Battery Tender brand. Will be interesting to see how long Chinese manufacturing windings, or solid state electronics will hang in there this time.

Started off with a Yuasa charger, advertised as maintaining plus desulfate. Went poof after one year.

Got another, went poof after a couple of weeks, got a warranty replacement. That one went poof pretty much after another year.

Tried a Harley Davison branded one, lasted two and a half years.

Replaced with another Harley one, went poof after two years.

Now replaced with a Battery Tender brand. Will be interesting to see how long Chinese manufacturing windings, or solid state electronics will hang in there this time.
A (not so) funny story...a few years ago my older brother went into an automotive store to buy a battery charger they had on sale...he got it home and put a battery on it and it looked like it was doing it's job, a couple hours later he came back and decided to put the battery into a lawn tractor it came out of and nothing happened when he tried to start it. He took out his voltmeter and checked and the battery was almost completely dead...

Puzzled he checked the charger and it was actually draining the battery instead of charging....he took it back and explained it to the guy there who went and got another one out of the pile and they checked it together and it was doing the same thing...they checked 3 more and they were all doing the same thing....the whole shipment was flawed.

So after a few days the brother asked the guy at the store how it all worked out and they guy said the company gave him a credit and told him to throw out the chargers instead of sending them back...so 50 battery chargers from just his store ended up in the recycle center.....

That being said I got a new charger this past fall from Motomaster (from a store called Canadian Tire) and it works great and weighs nothing...it is scary as to how light it is.

I did lose a Battery Tender Plus to a power problem where the AC flickered for several minutes. I wrote Deltran and they said it is a PC board and thus should have surge protection, but they replaced it, which is super nice. I am not sure but I think that one was five years old. It had charged several dead car batteries ergo I put that 1.25A piece through massive duty cycles. A lot of use was in utterly roasting weather and it (a metal version) got very hot over and over, but it never had a problem.

Definitely plug them into a surge protector or battery backup. Also if you put a fan on them, that can only help to extend the life of the electronics. I am not sure if that would help with the plastic version but the metal one is well vented and the metal seems to transmit heat efficiently.

The metal Battery Tender Plus is very soft metal. Drop it 2 inches on something hard and the black paint will come off and the fins will bend. Now I always put them on cardboard, carry them around on cardboard, etc. I hate when my stuff gets damage marks!

I've had several of the Battery-Tender brand trickle chargers last at least 5 and 7 years, as they worked when I sold them with the bikes.
I just bought a new Battery-Tender charger last week.
In hindsight I should have bought one that did lithium batteries too(forgot there is a Shoria in the gsxr).
I have my new DRZ400 battery on it at the moment.

20211205_162142.jpg

I've had several of the Battery-Tender brand trickle chargers last at least 5 and 7 years, as they worked when I sold them with the bikes.
I just bought a new Battery-Tender charger last week.
In hindsight I should have bought one that did lithium batteries too(forgot there is a Shoria in the gsxr).
I have my new DRZ400 battery on it at the moment.

View attachment 1644424
I have one of these that is over 10 years old.

I think that’s the battery I bought for the Busa! Looking closely my tender sz it’s ‘powered’ by NOCO and is a Megaboost Platinum 1100 for lithium and AGM and 12 or 6v. Are there any 6v batteries in use these days? Having six bikes at one time I have several spare Jrs in a drawer.

I think that’s the battery I bought for the Busa! Looking closely my tender sz it’s ‘powered’ by NOCO and is a Megaboost Platinum 1100 for lithium and AGM and 12 or 6v. Are there any 6v batteries in use these days? Having six bikes at one time I have several spare Jrs in a drawer.
LOVE my NOCO, used for every other battery around here except the Busa's Lith

Back