How dumb is this!!! BS law suit!

i dont see anywhere hwer it says she didnt stop, after all if she didnt how would they know who it was?

"As Ms. Chau was stopping her motorcycle, per Officer Campbell's command to stop, Officer Campbell struck Ms. Chau in the head with a metallic object,...

Where does it state she did not stop or was not stopping?

But maybe the officer was acting out in self defense...
maybe she was riding a little to close and maybe the officer thought she was going to hit him.

she F'd up... thats all it is.

Steven, cut and paste the pw riders post into this thread so we can see it if you can.

I'm lost why do you think it is a BS lawsuit?

I'm with Pinky on this, I don't get the racial profiling part of it but it sounds like the cop over reacted by hitting in the head. Complaint with the PD was sustained which give the law suit merit. White, black, brown, yellow or green the cop should have his a** sued!

according to her own complaint, filed in court....

"according to the complaint filed this month in U.S. District Court. "At the time Officer Campbell struck Ms. Chau, she was wearing her helmet, and Ms. Chau's motorcycle was still in motion."

not a good idea to hit the rider with anything. I can guarantee no officer is taught this, it was an act of frustration on the officer's part. He lost his cool. Does it merit a big financial settlement? Probably not, but we are a lawsuit happy country with way too many attorneys.

I know everytime i see a check on a motorcycle i just want to clothesline her with a baton too... way to go officer!!!

no no... serioiusly thats horrible. we cool? :whistle:

Linky!

This is her original thread back in 2007 when the event took place.

I'm thinking this is a frivilous suit? I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if the cop did any damage to this woman. She could have easily just applied the brakes and stopped as the officer had directed.

Does a cop have the athority to use force if you don't follow his direction? Damn right he does. He could have just as easily tackled her off the bike, rubbed her nose in the dirt, handcuffed her and tossed her in the back seat of a crown victoria and would have been well within his athority.

Don't forget, the cop stepped out into her lane and motioned her to pull over. She did not comply for whatever reason. He didn't jump out of the bushes at the last moment and whack her across the helmet.

I'll be surprised if this suit gets any legs? The suit being Sustained does not mean it's true!

Not signing up to read it. If you don't mind, could you do a cut and psate for me.

This is what's known as deep pockets inside law firms. They're hoping for several things here. One that the ticket gets dropped, and Two that they decide to settle out of court regardless of the facts.

On the other hand, municipalities normally have insurance to cover civil suits and the insurance companies and their lawyers don't play.

BS, I don't know. I know that 95% of the LEO's out there are good people, there's always that 1 or 2% that create the bad image. "Just like our group" or any other.
The few times I have been pulled over, I get the same thing each time. "Boy get off that Bike" etc, etc. So then I give them my licence, and then take off my helmet. After they look at my licence its Mr or sir and all of a sudden nothing is wrong. See they didn't pull over some 18 year old kid but a 54 year old balding man. Some times its fun, but sonner or later they might just get me speeding and then...

BS, I don't know. I know that 95% of the LEO's out there are good people, there's always that 1 or 2% that create the bad image. "Just like our group" or any other.
The few times I have been pulled over, I get the same thing each time. "Boy get off that Bike" etc, etc. So then I give them my licence, and then take off my helmet. After they look at my licence its Mr or sir and all of a sudden nothing is wrong. See they didn't pull over some 18 year old kid but a 54 year old balding man. Some times its fun, but sonner or later they might just get me speeding and then...

If you are not speeding, why are you getting pulled over in the first place?

according to her own complaint, filed in court....

"according to the complaint filed this month in U.S. District Court. "At the time Officer Campbell struck Ms. Chau, she was wearing her helmet, and Ms. Chau's motorcycle was still in motion."

Your bike is still in motion even if you are coming to a stop, that is what she may have meant.

Not to mention, getting hit unexpectedly can create some strange occurrences. May of hand no time to brace for the impact to the head etc.... injuries are usually blown out of proportion though. The blow to the head might not of done it,but the reflex "jolt" could of add/done the injury.

because you already think the LEO is wrong.....

Negative. B/c a) that's how the phrasing looks to me and b) if someone was trying to make a case that they were doing nothing wrong it is unlikely that they would point out that they were not obeying an officers command.

I assure you, my opinion on the matter is objective. While the skeleton of information that we are working with here does appear to me to indicate that IF the officer did in fact strike the rider that he was wrong to do so, I do not feel that we are doing anything other than speculating.

IF the rider was threatening the officer or endangering the public, then force is accpetable.

IF the rider was simply disobeying a command to pull over without threatening the officer or the public, then force was inappropriate.

IF the rider was unable to stop or unaware that she was being asked to stop, then force was inappropriate.

IF the office took any action based solely on her race or gender, then that action was in appropriate.

IF the rider was intentionally disobeying the officer, then she took on the risk and, while force was inappropriate, got the sheet end of the stick.

IF the office didn't strike the rider, then the whole thing is a farce.

I don't judge the officer or the rider by anything other than their actions and the circumstances/situation as we understand it in this context.

using the riders own words....

she was still moving.

she does not say "unable to stop due to unsafe condition, does not say was almost stopped"

and does not explain why she was so close to the officer...

using the riders own words....

she was still moving.

she does not say "unable to stop due to unsafe condition, does not say was almost stopped"

and does not explain why she was so close to the officer...

OK. But I also didn't read anything in terms of a claim that the rider was not stopping or that she was in any way threatening the officer or the public.

Hey, if she was trying to run the guy down, then throw the suit out and book her on attempted murder/assault with a deadly weapon (the bike). But if that's what was happening, why didn't the officer and the city pursue the matter as such?

"she was still moving" doesn't tell us if she was stopping, starting, speeding up, slowing down, falling over or riding a wheelie. In the context in which it was presented, IMHO (yep, it's just my best guess based on the info presented), it's most likely that the meaning is that she had not yet stopped or that she was unable to stop for some reason or that she didn't realize she was being asked to stop. Now maybe she was running, I don't know, but I doubt very much that she would make that part of her complaint in the suit.

As far as being close to the officer, well, if a person steps out and asks you to pull over and you do, chances are you'll wind up closer to them unless you go around them/give them add'l room or they retreat from your path.

Again, I don't believe we know all the facts or understand the details of the scenario, therefore we can only form an opinion on what has been presented here in the thread.

Last edited:
Back