Hot Busa

LiBusa

Registered
Rode into downtown the other night. Was riding down South Street, a street with a lot of unusal stores and resturants-lots of traffic. I rode for about eight blocks in heavy stop and go traffic. I noticed my temp gauge getting higher and higher. I turned onto a side street with no traffic and noticed my Temp red light was on and the temp needle was pointing in the red marking.

As I rode with no traffic and little stopping my temp gauge came back to the middle mark rather quickly. I'd say in about 4 blocks of riding. I have recently had my coolant replaced and its at the correct level. I'm asking what can I do to enhance my cooling system so it won't overheat so quickly in heavy traffic?

You may have air in the coolant lines that needed to be purged. You can also change to Engine Ice or Water Wetter for more protection. Also, a Muzzy fan (6-blade aluminum vice 6-blade plastic) will help.

Rode into downtown the other night. Was riding down South Street, a street with a lot of unusal stores and resturants-lots of traffic. I rode for about eight blocks in heavy stop and go traffic. I noticed my temp gauge getting higher and higher. I turned onto a side street with no traffic and noticed my Temp red light was on and the temp needle was pointing in the red marking.

As I rode with no traffic and little stopping my temp gauge came back to the middle mark rather quickly. I'd say in about 4 blocks of riding. I have recently had my coolant replaced and its at the correct level. I'm asking what can I do to enhance my cooling system so it won't overheat so quickly in heavy traffic?
...Replace the stock radiator fan with a Muzzy Alluminium fan!! It should solve your problem.... never lets the heat get over the half mark.

You can get one at http://www.schnitzracing.com

BigBSBusa nailed it 4 ya! those are the solutions. Seems that not all Busa's are created equal. the REALLY fast ones (like Ours) have this little quirk while the others have no heating issues. My issue was solved with the Engine Ice and the Muzzy Fan. You'd probably do good to start with the fan then the Engine Ice if needed. The Fan's cheaper!
wow.gif
smile.gif

My 2000 needed a new temp & fan switch, my 03 runs pretty cool even here in the 100+ degree valley.

Couldn't find Engine Ice for my '05 so I tried WaterWetter. No problem since, and I still have the stock fan. I will get a muzzy in the future though.

Mine did that once before the 600 mile service. Hasn't done it since and I've been in worse trafcic than the day it happened. I think BigBSBusa probably has the right answer for a once and done occurance. If it keeps happening, then you need to look into some of the other suggestions.

has anyone ever changed to a lower setting thermostat so the cooling fan would kick on sooner?
That would only cause the termostat to open sooner allowing the cooler liquid from the radiator into the engine sooner. I don't think the termostat triggers the fan. If that was the case, removing the termostat entirely would cause the fan to run non-stop.
The fan is triggered when the engine coolant reaches a certain temperature, not when the t.stat opens.

<!--EDIT|Spigga
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125085344 -->

Something similar happened to me. I was running to hot overheated one day. The fan got unplugged when taking the fairing off. After the fan was plugged back in not a problem. So if you fan is coming on it must be something else. If the fan is not coming on then this is probably what happened. Cheap fix and good luck.
wow.gif

I've added 4 ounces of Water Wetter to my coolant I'll see what that does. Next step is buying muzzy fan. This is the first time I've had the temp that high in the two years I've had my Busa. I'll let the board know how I make out. Thanks to all that gave me input. Later.

Try a Honda fan switch it turns the fan on about 50 degrees sooner.

The metal pins in the stock Busa connector will fit the Honda switch but the plastic plug will not fit. I took the pins out of the Busa connector & installed shrink wrap on them.
PIC 1 of 4

Fanswitch1.JPG

I used some RTV silicone to help retain the wires in the switch. If you have access to a bone yard you could probably find a honda connector that will fit the switch & splice it into the Busa wires.

Fanswitch3.JPG

Its a Honda car switch,
Auto zone part # Wells TU197
Sorenson part # 40-5073

Also: moving the intake air temp switch located in the under tank air box out to the left side air duct helps. As the air box temp increases the fuel mixture is leaned out causing the engine to run hotter.

I have done both of the above mods & since doing them my temp gauge rarely goes above the 1/2 way mark.

Back