hmf high mounts

busa854

Donating Member
Registered
I got my hmf high mounts in the other day and started the install. Everything was going okay until I got to the cans. The bracket they include that mounts with the rear peg doesn't match up for the exhaust can. It's angled wrong and seems to be too far back. I followed the instructions as far as the half inch spacers different on left than right and all that. I think I have them right cause looking from the rear they are perfectly symmetrical and the same distance from the tire on both sides. Does anyone have any pictures of the brackets bolted to the cans from an inside angle. Any ideas? To make things even worse I just moved into a new house and there is no dsl there, so I will have to go with dial up I guess. Right now I'm just getting online here and there when I can get to my future father in laws house. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really in a hurry as there is snow everywhere now and it's not like I'll be riding anytime soon. But it is bugging the shid out of me.

I made the same mistake I think,try swapping sides and see what you come up with,let me look at mine, they are off the bike and labeled I think.NJ.

I found myself running into a bunch of problems but with several hours of patience .the system came together quite nice..if you need any help just pm me i can give you a phone # ...

Nope, they arent labeled,sorry man but it is very easy to mix them up,seriously,try swapping them.NJ.

NJ, I already swapped sides thinking that I may have had them reversed, but that stuck them out 5 inches from the tire so I know I've got them on the right sides.

Do you have to bend those bracket any? Or use a bunch of spacers? Mine seem to be angled in toward the tire and they need to be angled more outward.

NJ, I already swapped sides thinking that I may have had them reversed, but that stuck them out 5 inches from the tire so I know I've got them on the right sides.
Try twisting the mid pipes,in fact, I had the the mid pipes backwards, not backwards, buy I had them on the wrong sides. I think one time.Seriously dude, if you get it all right, it'll fit like a glove.NJ.

<!--EDIT|nitrousjunkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134069069 -->

I never even though of that, I just assumed since they looked about right that I must have had them on the right sides. I will definitely check into that when I get back home. Thanks

Try twisting the mid pipes,in fact, I had the the mid pipes backwards, not backwards, buy I had them on the wrong sides. I think one time.Seriously dude, if you get it all right, it'll fit like a glove.NJ.
What he said. I had the brackets on the wrong side firts and thought the same thing as you. Switch em around and make sure the midpipes are on the right side. And when it comes together it will all be perfect. And you'll look back at the last few hours and laugh. Also, the brackets are very close to the tire when correct.

David

Okay I'm back, sorry took so long, but I have very limited internet access right now. I got everything on, checked to make sure the midpipes and brackets were on the correct sides, but still I am having some problems. In the instructions it says to use the .5" spacer before the bracket on the left side and after the bracket on the right side. Well, I had to use it before the bracket on both sides, then had to use several washers on the left side to get the can even close to mount to the bracket. I shimmed and adjusted for a while and got everything lined up looking good, tightened everything from the headers back and everything looked really good. From the back, the pipes were even left to right and top to bottom. I fired it up and was very happy with the sound. So I thought all my troubles were behind me till I started putting the plastics back on. I have got the rear pegs spaced so far out that the tail section doesnt fit well around them. I remember some other guy on here throwing a fit about this exact same problem. I'm very frustrated because I think I have covered all my bases, but something is obviously not right. Any thoughts guys.

I spent about 12 hours on this and went through every problem there was and in the end it worked out great ,,,i did not have to cut any plastic ..or change the belly pan ...

No, your still doing right. The tail piece will not fit the same as before. It will be held out a little by the rear pegs. And you will not be able to use all of the little pop rivit things either. But thats the only way to get the pipes under the rear pegs.

David

Hey Busa 854,

Give Qarnag a pm. He lives in Marion and has the HMF's. Maybe he could help ya.

John

I spent about 12 hours on this and went through every problem there was and in the end it worked out great ,,,i did not have to cut any plastic ..or change the belly pan ...
...and then some, I just finished up this install last week, and without 2quik's guidance from 3,000 miles away I was about to snap and go on a 12 state shooting spree.
smile.gif

No, your still doing right. The tail piece will not fit the same as before. It will be held out a little by the rear pegs. And you will not be able to use all of the little pop rivit things either. But thats the only way to get the pipes under the rear pegs.

David
Iwas able to get all 6 pop rivits back onto my tail ...

I know this is an old post but can 2quick or CMEPASU offer any advice about the mounting issues. Maybe a tutorial? I'm having the same problems

Back