High insurance cost

trkkshotbry

Registered
I have recieved quotes for insurance all over a huge range. Literally from 7k a year for full coverage down to $150 a month. Then when I thought I found a great insurance company they wrote the policy, let me cancel my old policy and then told me they couldnt insure me because my previous company wasnt on their "preffered" list and now are going to have to write me a new policy with God only knows what kind of premium. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH. Has this happened to you? What do you pay and who is it with?

Bryan

A very popular question on the board. I started with USAA and then went to State Farm. SF has probably the best policies overall for price and coverage. If you haven't I would say give them a try.

paying SF $1300/yr for full coverage w/ $100 deduct., PIP and uninsured.
$12k bike with 44 year old rider.

My home owners is more than $700/yr  
rock.gif

No Sir, that's just the bike.

I have state farm I pay 372 a year full coverage for my busa Im 37 with two tickets
smile.gif

I have heard good things about Farmers... Although State Farm has the best hookup for me.

I have recieved quotes for insurance all over a huge range. Literally from 7k a year for full coverage down to $150 a month. Then when I thought I found a great insurance company they wrote the policy, let me cancel my old policy and then told me they couldnt insure me because my previous company wasnt on their "preffered" list and now are going to have to write me a new policy with God only knows what kind of premium.  AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH.  Has this happened to you?  What do you pay and who is it with?

Bryan
I would be giving that company hell.  They can't charge you different based on your previous insurance company.

<!--EDIT|TheAtomicAss
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150245329 -->

State Farm sounds good if you can get them to insure you. You have to have other vehicles insured with them first ... at least around here you do. Plus they have tougher regs than others. Most insurance co's go back 3 years on accidents etc. SF goes back 5 years which is why I can't use them.

If you search this site you'll see my posts all over. I got the shaft from my Insurance co. I got a quote for Gixxer1000 because I was still considering it over the busa but I bought the busa (and I'm glad). But when I found out the premium was 2X that of a gixxer1000, I about sheeeeet. Nothing I could do at the time because I had another cycle with them and had already started paying premiums for this year. Long story but ... I can't believe Busa's premiums are so much higher than a TRACK RACING BIKE !!! ... I don't care what you say, its not RIGHT ??

When I was buying my Busa in 2003, I asked the dealer about insurance. He told me that while he is a Progressive agent, State farm would beat his $714 quote by hundreds of dollars if I had a clean driving record. So I checked with a local SF agent. I had no insurance with SF but she quoted me $177 a year for everything but collision ($500 deductible on the comprehensive). Collision would cost me another $114 a year - still not bad. I was 56 with a clean record. I decided that if no "surprises" came along for the next year, I would look into auto and homeowner coverage with her.

The next year, the premium on my Busa CAME DOWN to $119 a year. My 24 year-old son with no prior motorcycle experience pays $224 per year for the same coverage for his 2003 R6 through SF. Can you guess who I suggest you call?

Ed

Geez, why do I get the feeling SF is ripping me off?
$1300/yr was much better than what Progressive wanted at $3k/yr.

I know the area you live in has a lot to do with your rates. I'm right next to Harris County Tx. which reportedly has the 2nd highest insurance rates in the country.

Damn Texas drivers  
mad.gif

I had two different insurance companies write the policy, take my premium, only to have the underwriters reject it.

The agents didn't know that they couldn't insure the bike.

Ended up with State Farm - $450/yr full coverage, but I don't have any other business with them, so I get written by their Fire & Casualty company, instead of their preferred company.  If I were to move my house and other vehicles, I could get a better rate, but the increase for the house and cars would more than offset the lowering of the bike premium....

Another reason to live in Iowa - low insurance rates....

<!--EDIT|pward76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150404096 -->

I pay $179 every 6 months with state farm. that's full with $500 deductable. it even covers track days as long as it's not a sanctioned event. can't beat that.

STATE FARM! $40 month, full coverage, $500 ded. No other insurance with them!

I pay State Farm $720 per year for my 1200 Bandit, SF also has our 2 cars and the house. Got quotes for the Busa, $900 w/$500 ded and full coverage(100/300/100), $680 per year with $1000 ded.

State Farm sounds good if you can get them to insure you.  You have to have other vehicles insured with them first ... at least around here you do.  Plus they have tougher regs than others.  Most insurance co's go back 3 years on accidents etc.  SF goes back 5 years which is why I can't use them.  

If you search this site you'll see my posts all over.  I got the shaft from my Insurance co.  I got a quote for Gixxer1000 because I was still considering it over the busa but I bought the busa (and I'm glad).  But when I found out the premium was 2X that of a gixxer1000, I about sheeeeet.  Nothing I could do at the time because I had another cycle with them and had already started paying premiums for this year.  Long story but ... I can't believe Busa's premiums are so much higher than a TRACK RACING BIKE !!!  ... I don't care what you say, its not RIGHT ??
No other vehical was required when it is a new purchase SF told me. But the bike price was cut in half when I took my cars to them also.

Back