Higgs-Boson Particle Discovered

It's amazing how far we have come with the super collider and deep space observatories (hubble). My wife is a high school Physics teacher and worked on summer at the Jefferson Lab. We have learned more about our universe and it's origins in the last 2 decades than in the entirety of man - amazing. I can't help thinking though that we are like characters in that Ed movie. Each time we postulize about the nature of things it is "created" and placed just outside our grasp - pushing us to increase our minds and technical capabilities to grab it.

It's amazing when we look at our growth as a species technically and then watch us return to the small minded politics of the fifties politically. Imagine what we could do if we were as advanced emotionally as we are intellectually (well, some of us anyway....)

PS: I'm betting this won't be a long thread.....

Still doesn't explain how ancient civilizations charted galaxies we have only discovered with use of modern day telescopes. Try explaining that? Ancient Mayan Astral knowledge still rivals ours of today.

There are several possibilities:

1. The predicted them. Galaxies are geometric in nature and there appear to be billions of them. So if you "predict a galaxy" there is a good chance we will find a matching one at some point.
2. Aliens.
3. We are on the second or third go-round on our civilization and there were pieces of knowledge left from former ones.

I'm voting number 2.
To predict one maybe but I dont think they could just guess exact location and draw accurate representations of them. And of we were on second or third go round than I think there would be more left over from that if it was a technologically advanced civilization. Kinda like planet of the apes where Heston comes across ancient advanced things.

I did just spend some time reading about this guy at CERN who created the worldwide web.
The Wikipedia page on that is a great read of its history and how we got to where it is now.

History of the World Wide Web - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't know this?

That's all pretty general knowledge stuff. There are some inside stuff that has to do with the millitary that is less well known and I'm sure very fascinating but in the few times I have been around people who understood it they were unable to translate it into normal people english.

All you really need to know is that Al Gore did it. :laugh:

LOL... I guess it is significant to know that the WWW and the Internet are not synonymous; but the interlinking of computers as Well as the stand-off capability in event of nuclear destruction is very interesting going back to the beginning.

Its absolutely amazing. I was very excited when i heard on the news. Of course i believe hey need to test more but he ways this could lead our discovery in the future is very exciting

Until Morgan Freeman explains it to me at 2am on the Science channel, its not real. But, I have heard of that partical, cant recall much about it, Ill check with Mr Freeman for a recap

Still doesn't explain how ancient civilizations charted galaxies we have only discovered with use of modern day telescopes. Try explaining that? Ancient Mayan Astral knowledge still rivals ours of today.

Source?

I'd like to read more about this.

It should be interesting the direction this leads scientist.

Possibly one day develop better Higgs-Boson detection equipment, learn to isolate the particle then manipulate to such affects as being able to increase or decrease mass in an object. This would relate to more efficient means to transport/move goods due to a decrease in mass thereby using less energy. Think about a fully loaded 40 ton tractor trailer weighing only 5 tons during transport, less mass means less fuel consumed.

Possibly one day develop better Higgs-Boson detection equipment, learn to isolate the particle then manipulate to such affects as being able to increase or decrease mass in an object. This would relate to more efficient means to transport/move goods due to a decrease in mass thereby using less energy. Think about a fully loaded 40 ton tractor trailer weighing only 5 tons during transport, less mass means less fuel consumed.

I want a Ray Gun that will reduce that amount of mass that I have been building up in my belly. I would like this gun to have a two way switch so I can either increase or decrease the mass of an object as I see fit. "Whats that honey, you didnt want your boobs to be triple G's....my bad"

:please:

:laugh::laugh:

sheldon-higgs.jpg

I want a Ray Gun that will reduce that amount of mass that I have been building up in my belly. I would like this gun to have a two way switch so I can either increase or decrease the mass of an object as I see fit. "Whats that honey, you didnt want your boobs to be triple G's....my bad"

:please:

LOL I'd get one for sure.

Back