hid question...

nickxxxr

Registered
i know i know another one... but i have been searching for an hour and cant get the answers to the questions i want.

first things first im looking into a ddm tuning kit, which apparently is a good choice correct?

also what do i get 35 or 55? i wanna see and be seen but dont want to mess anything up. the bike is a 2002.

i want a bright light, no idea what bulb is what color. i would go with white or like a light blue only. more or less white, is that what most people get? what number is that?

i know my bulbs are an h7 and 9005 correct?

how are the high beams going to be brighter than ur low beams if you install the same bulb?

im so confused right now. but its the next mod i want to do. please help me out. especially the low/high beam thing, im lost.

also how do you run a high beam if hid takes awhile to warm up?

sorry for all this stuff, really i am. im just not having the luck with the search function to get the answers i need. thanks alot for any information you guys give out.

am i suppose to be going with two different "colors" for high and low beam? i read everybody is running the same bulb and same watt. ??? how is that two different light outputs than? or am i totally missing something?

Can't answer all od your questions. h7 and 9005 is correct. I'm running 8000K in the low beam which has a nice blue tint. I have 5000K in the high beam because its a brighter white. The shape of the reflectors are different between high and low beams. The low beam fans out for a wide field of view, the high beam is more like a spotlight shooting out infront of you.

That was right, 4200-6000 will be the brightest output with low color. The more color is just temp, not actually more output. The bulbs only actually take a few seconds to get brighter than the stock bulbs and maybe 30 seconds to full power. In my car I run 2800 yellow bulbs in my fog lights and 4200 white bulbs in the headlights with great results for both.

Either wattage will do 6000K is suppose to be the best white light. Does your 2002 kill the headlamp when you push the starter button ? If yes, look into a switch or TDR to avoid damaging the ballast.

I was going to run 4000K in the low beam because it's brighter than the 8000K, but because 4000K is close to sunlight color, you can actually blend in with the sun at your back instead of standing out. That's why I went with the blue color over the brighter light.

if its gen 1, yes, h7 9005. I have a ddm kit and am more than pleased with it. I also have the 6k and it is good and bright with just a slight hint of blue.I alsways heard the 55 watt bulbs "may" get a lil warm for the housing so I went with the 35w. The high beam will have the same brightness if you use the same color temp. I chose to just do the low and keep the factory high for backup, you can not even see the stock high beam with the HID low beam. If you run high and low when you switch on the high it will just take a few seconds for it to warm up and be bright.

I decided to install the HID on just the low beam because all of the information I have seen states the HID in the low side is plenty bright. Plus I prefer to have the OEM high beam as a backup. I'm not putting all my apples in one basket....Oh, and I went with the 6K bulb.

so im shooting for the 6k for bright white, prolly gonna go all out and do 55w cuz im overkill. but what to use in high beam to make a better improvement? or is it really worth it just to do low beam only...? also i see ill be needing a relay since my starter does shut off my lights. need to research more on that. sorry for all the questions at once. i appreciate everyones input thank you. u helped me out alot

if i decide to do high beam what would be a good temp to use over the 6k low beam? for better visibility?

if i decide to do high beam what would be a good temp to use over the 6k low beam? for better visibility?

6000K will be a great choice for the high beam as well. The highbeam lamp covers a different area than the low beam lamp if adjusted properly.

Poppy has a good point the HID low beam will overshadow the factory highbeam.

I would go with both, because if I'm gonna mod my bike so I can see, I want to go all the way; you know, spot tractor trailers from the rear and street signs, animal eyes from a good mile :laugh:

I went the same frequency on both high and low because I like both lamps to look the same. It's a personal preference.

thats how i feel. i like to look the same but i want to actually see more with the high. i heard if u use the same ones that it wont make a difference which i didnt understand cause i figured the were different angles. thinking i might go with 6k in both. if im not satisfied with the difference ill drop the high beam to a 4300. what do you guys think?

thats how i feel. i like to look the same but i want to actually see more with the high. i heard if u use the same ones that it wont make a difference which i didnt understand cause i figured the were different angles. thinking i might go with 6k in both. if im not satisfied with the difference ill drop the high beam to a 4300. what do you guys think?

There's a big difference, my highbeam out worked my eyes. I could literally see the reflective tape on the trailers of tractor trailers way before I could see what it was. The low and high beam are totally different. Understand that it's not instant on like the factory lamps, takes a few seconds to come up to speed.

Huge diffference between high and low. Like I stated above, the reflectors shape the beam differently. I'd go 5000K for the high beam.

I have the DDM kit, 35 Watt, low and high, 6000k. The low beam is bright, but when the high comes on, WOW, its daylight. I would stay with the 35 watt, they are plenty bright. :)

There's a big difference, my highbeam out worked my eyes. I could literally see the reflective tape on the trailers of tractor trailers way before I could see what it was. The low and high beam are totally different. Understand that it's not instant on like the factory lamps, takes a few seconds to come up to speed.

wow really that bright? thats impressive if its goes farther than your eyes. that makes me happy to here. did you use 35w or 55w if i may ask?

I have a 6000k xentec kit in both the high and low. Last Thurs night was the first time i had a chance to ride at night at the local bike night. I could not believe how well these kits performed!! My boys were tellin me that they were riding in my light the whole time! My wife passed by me one time during the day and said that my light "stood out" from the "regular" lights! Whatever temp you go for, you will love em!!

Back