HID/Electrical Issues

slime

Registered
OK, I installed an HID kit, plugged into the stock low beam harness. I also added a powerlet switched auxiliary fuse block. The additional fuse block is triggered by the switched pigtail on the low beam circuit. The lights flickered on the ride home (about 7miles) and cut off a couple times? Also, I had the gauge cluster out during the install. Everything seemed to be fine when I left, but half way home I noticed the RPMs were WAY low and the MPH was WAY TOO high!WTF.
After I got home, I turned it off, the back on and It was "normal", but it was when I left the shop. Since I'm heading to Indy Wed, I need to figure out what I did wrong (other than starting this project today) Anyone have a suggestion?
Man, this sucks!

could be secondary noise from the ballast... where did you mount the ballast at? (I also have intermittent issue with the speedo going nuts, I figure it is my HID)

Ballast is beside the headlight, mounted off the upper fairing frame. Close to the gauges too!

Had same similar problem with my HID plug and play kit. It flickered and the speedo went crazy.

Solved it with doing the "Alternative wire" below, with fuse and relays.

h1fix.jpg

"9. *Use a 12v relay. Get power from the bikes battery to power relay. *Use headlight wire to "trigger" relay to turn on ballast. *Put on/off switch on ground side of main power from battery to relay. *Relay power will work all the time bike on or off however headlight wire will only trigger relay to light ballast with key on or bike running. *No drain thru bike smaller wire configurations. * No flickering due to bad grounding/connections."

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/30943-hid-mounting-tips.html

Last edited:
I got 2 55 watt kits w/external igniters; due to being digital slims, never exhibited a problem with cluster. Have low beam ballast attached to top of right air intake by frame and hi beam on left intake near fairing, both ingiters are right next to right side of cluster on right intake.

You dont have it touching the metal frame do you. For some reason, I heard that can cause issues, but I cant verify it.

i have MY hids (not sure if it's the hids or the high-lo beam switch) go out, and only leave me the high beam, or
high beam indicator comes on, but light doesn't or
they don't come on at all or
the both go out.

but if i turn key off and right back on, everything is perfect again.

this isn't fun at night driving and have to purposely turn off the KEY, and restart while rolling just to get light.

i have no idea what causes this all of a sudden.
my hids are about 6 months old..... just all of a sudden

Hopefully you trimmed the plastic key on the connector. This is a connection issue with the low beam only depending on the kit. If you removed the nose to do the install make sure the connector for the instr. panel is well connected. Good luck.

I agree with the use of the relay. Might even consider a TDR. The ballast have been know to have problems with normal use.

Had same similar problem with my HID plug and play kit. It flickered and the speedo went crazy.

Solved it with doing the "Alternative wire" below, with fuse and relays.

h1fix.jpg

"9. *Use a 12v relay. Get power from the bikes battery to power relay. *Use headlight wire to "trigger" relay to turn on ballast. *Put on/off switch on ground side of main power from battery to relay. *Relay power will work all the time bike on or off however headlight wire will only trigger relay to light ballast with key on or bike running. *No drain thru bike smaller wire configurations. * No flickering due to bad grounding/connections."

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/30943-hid-mounting-tips.html
great info... sort of figured it was electrical noise but as long as it was working, I was not going to fool with it..

I do need to know which relay you used (continuous duty relay) thanks for posting up!

I use a standard Bosch 30A relay, available at most auto parts stores...

Back