Help with fairing removal!!

05busaa

Registered
Have a Gen 1, looking for help removing the front (nose) fairing in order to gain access to the bottom fork clamp,

-Do the side fairings have to be removed before the nose can be removed?
-A step-by-step would be great if anybody can help!

Please read this all before starting to be sure it makes sense to you; it has been a long day for me...

You don't have to, but to avoid it would be a huge pita. You will actually save yourself time just taking the lowers off and the nose, that way everything will be open to you.

This is how I do it:
Underneath the nose is a plastic plate that sorts over the fender. There are six plastic pushpins. To remove those, use an Allen wrench to push the head into the center slightly, then pull the whole pin out.

Once that is removed, pull out the forward inners; loosen the six fairing screws on the nose. Then, remove the two pushpins (one each side) and the three fairing screws (left, right and center)- you'll notice that the center one has a longer "shank". Pull the two forward inners out, by taking the highest point of the inner and pulling in and slightly back.

From there, you can remove the lower fairings. Remove the lager plastic pushpins in the inside of the lower section of the inners, closest to the tank. Then remove the six fairing screws on the sides of the nose. There is a larger "Main" screw in the center of the lower fairings, don't remove these yet... remove the 6 or 7 screws from the fairings (along the front and bottom of the fairings, including the one on the underside connected to the belly wing. Once all of those are removed, then you can remove the main screw and pull the fairing out and away from the bike. Two areas to be watchful of are where the lower connects to the nose and when the lower section of the inner connects sits around the air duct. Also, once you have the lower screws out, you will notice a cross support bar that sits under the headers; you only have to remove one side screw.

Now you are ready to remove the nose. Remove the windscreen - then Remove the mirrors. Then you can pull the nose "ears" off of the mirror mounting recepticles. Do this gently, as there are tabs inside the nose that go around the front fairing stay that are easily damaged. Once you have the nose off of the fairing stay, pull forward (having a second person to help hold the nose would be great) and disconnect the turn signals from the lighting harness, as well as the high and low beams of the head light. once you have done this, the entire nose will come off, with the headlight assembly and all. The nose will want to rotate forward due to the headlight, so be careful where you set it.

I hope that helps - at least a little.

Last edited:
That sounds about right. Be very careful when removing the nose to avoid damage.

Follow MC's right up and you'll be set. I don't remove the the black immerse from the side fairings, I just snake em forward and shift em around a bit, just me tho.

Note that the nose has some decent weight to it from the headlight, I was surprised by it the first time, it'll tip down and forward pretty quick if not supported. Maybe even toss a cloth on your fender just in case, ya really can't be too careful. :thumbsup:

Thank you guys! Was just told on psychobike that access to the lower clamp can be achieved by just taking off the black piece above the fender, will I have enough room to fit tools in there and loosen the clamps? This is all in hopes of sliding my fork tubes up through both stock clamps and using rubber grommets as spacers for the top cover, any advise would be greatly appreciated

Thank you guys! Was just told on psychobike that access to the lower clamp can be achieved by just taking off the black piece above the fender, will I have enough room to fit tools in there and loosen the clamps? This is all in hopes of sliding my fork tubes up through both stock clamps and using rubber grommets as spacers for the top cover, any advise would be greatly appreciated

Yes, it is enough room, but you might have some difficulty seeing. Also, are you planning on supporting the front of the bike while you are moving the fork tubes? You may still want to remove the upper section of the inner fairings, just for light, visibility...

I didn't remove fairings to install my risers.

I didn't either, but I am not sure where the sliding fork tubes come from; spacers for the top clamp don't require anything with the lower clamp? I am thinking that he may be doing something else?

My bike tipped while being trailered and damaged the nose and lower side fairing. I already have the side fairing pulled but still need to get the nose off so the parts can be repaired and repainted. Based on prior experience with another bike, I was hesitant to try the nose without doing some research first. I will be trying this tonight so thanks for the tips. If anyone is aware of a detailed step-by-step guide like the one posted for the gen 2 please let me know. I'm sure it would come in handy at some point.

Back