HELP, screw broke off in frame

If you have to take a large drill bit first, one thats larger than the thread outside diameter and just go in far enough to create an indent into the bolt to clean the top of the bolt off. The reason its so important to be straight if your not you can contact then female treads with the extractor. One other trick if you have enough meat around the hole is take a dermil with a small cutting wheel and actualy cut a slot into the broken bolt, yes the slot will extend past the hole. you have to make sure the overslot won't hurt anything. If its not in too tight you can use a screwdrive it get it out.

Use a center punch to give the bit a place to start. Those small blots are a ***** to drill and not get into the threads. If your bit contacts the threads the easy out will not extract the bolt. It will only lock the broken bolt into place.

The horror of this situation is the easyout is made of very hard but brittle steel and it's very small for a bolt your size. If you happen to break the easy out off in the drilled hole, you are as screwed as Obama's Health Care. You cannot drill into the broken easy out to remove it cause it's as hard as a *****'s heart.

If you have never attempted to drill and remove such a small bolt, the odds are not good for success. I'd suggest you find a friend or a shop with experience.

Good Luck! :welcome:

Find a steel bushing/dowel whose outside diameter is the same size as the inside diameter of the threaded hole. Now find a drill bit whose outside diameter is the same as the inside diameter of the bushing/dowel. Drill slowly, using this method will ensure you are drilling the center, go slow and let the bit do the work don't push or the bit will walk.

Also since it's aluminum I have and the bolt in most likely stainless I have welded a stud into the hole onto the top of the broken part and then just unscrewed it......

The key to all of this is absolutely take your time, if you rush you will make it worse and the problem will expand and become more difficult.

Scott

I agree with Tufbusa if you haven't done it before it can be a challenge. Believe me theres nothing worse than coming behind someone who has tried and made it worse.

Use a dremel tool to flatten or level the surface prior to center punching. This will insure you find center when using the punch.

Overall, you have recieved excellant information to reslove your problem.

Like all have said: TAKE YOUR TIME AND DON'T GET FRUSTRATED!!!!

ok im kinda ignorant to some of the tools u guys are recamending what is a bushing dowel??? and a dremel tool?

The easiest way I found was to buy a small reverse flute drill bit set, heat surrounding aluminum with a good hair dryer, center punch the busted bolt and proceed to drill in reverse. the bolt should back right out as soon as the bit gets a good bite, if the bolt is cross threaded just continue to drill the hole then use the easy out to finish up. works every time for me. Hope this helps, good luck.:peace:

Back