Help! I THINK my fuel pump is going!

Meta title: Petrol pump

Meta description: Service

Irish

Registered
so im cruising @ like 30 down the road right and my bike dies. wait a minute, i have power, what!? so i pull over to the side of the road, wait like an hour and it just starts up like nothing ever happened. meanwhile i have a truck on the way. so i get it started and jump on, meet up with the truck and toss him a $50 for coming out. Ride about 5 miles and it dies again, cant pop the clutch and start it, but here is the thing right it has power, i can hear the fuel pump and it does turn over, just doesnt start. and its intermittent. so what do you guys think? fuel pump or something even more dubious??

Bad gas - check first... lots of post about bad gas same basic problem - beyond that what year, any mods recently, check loose ground wires, does it run normally until it dies?

I had a issue almost like this about 8 months ago. going down the freeway from work, was driving fine, then it acted like the power just died. turned the bike off then back on (while still having the clutch in and going around 50 mph) and the bike fired back up for 10 secs, then died. long story short, come to find out the plastic connector to where the metal tank line goes to the throttle bodies some how broke which in turn cause the 2 lines to come disconnected enough to no allow enough constant fuel to be fed to the injectors. 1 ziptie later, works fine again till the new plastic connector was ordered/installed.

Yo thanks for all the responses, when I get home I'll find this screen and fix it. Cross fingers and hope it is not something expensive.
Posted via Mobile Device

The screen is not easy to find. Very similar story here too.

I hoped on BikeBandit.com and bought the stuff I thought I'd need to replace the fuel filter which on the Gen-I is inside the fuel pump (stupid design). Fuel pump for the 99-00 is on the right side underneath the tank. You'll need remove the tank (drain as much gas as you can), take that off, then there are 4-bolts holding on the fuel pump to the motor. Remove those and the fuel pump will come right out. Note it's covered in a foam covering. Gas got everywhere so prepare.

Split apart the fuel pump and slowly disassemble it (it splits in half). My pump was okay so left that side alone. Other side contains the fuel filter. Pull that out and insert your new one plus replace the rubber o-rings. There's a tiny screen the size of your pinky nail in the housing. That's were my problem was, it was all gunked up and air from the air compressor cleaned it up nicely. The fuel filter element was starting to disintegrate on then end.

It was a big job for me, took several hours and I had no idea what I was doing.

For the 01+, the fuel pump is inside the tank. Still need take the tank off and remove the large plate on the bottom of the tank. Remove the fuel pump and go for it.

I just came up from replacing my screen, Thanks Telesmith1465 for helping me tonight. I bought gas at an elcheapo station and the bike began cutting out at 6000rpms, so I pulled the pump out of the tank and replaced the screen and orings. Screen was full of rust and so stopped up. No rust in my tank except these flakes.
I did a couple burnouts in basement and it revs up there now. I need a test ride to see after the engine warms up.
Takes about 2 hours to disassemble and 2 to put back

I just came up from replacing my screen, Thanks Telesmith1465 for helping me tonight. I bought gas at an elcheapo station and the bike began cutting out at 6000rpms, so I pulled the pump out of the tank and replaced the screen and orings. Screen was full of rust and so stopped up. No rust in my tank except these flakes.
I did a couple burnouts in basement and it revs up there now. I need a test ride to see after the engine warms up.
Takes about 2 hours to disassemble and 2 to put back

:thumbsup: Burnouts in the basement! :thumbsup:
:rofl:

So i've got new issues now, bike wont turn over anymore. It makes a loud click and the neutral light goes out when i pull in the clutch and depress the starter button. pulled off the seat and found a wire that is pretty melted (the smaller one that comes straight off the negative battery term) its melted at the first connector. this is a bit disheartening and almost afraid of what else is im going to find. ...... :(

'00 Busa
No new mods

Back