Help/Advice before purchasing the Busa...

oZo

Registered
NEED INPUT.  I've always wanted a sport bike and I'm thinking very strongly about getting the Busa, but need help to determine the factors in my decision.  I have five concerns and your input will way on whether I join Da' Busa Club.  BTW, other bike I reviewed was a Kaw ZZR1200.

#1 Insurance: I'm 34 y/o male, married, no tickets, FL resident, current auto w/ GEICO.  Is State Farm the best?  Do I need to stack auto and bike together?  Should I realistically get $30-$40 mo. payments like I've seen on the boards?  Is insurance better on a "new" bike vs. used?

#2 Experience:  I've had 3 motorcycles growing up (100cc, 250cc, 600cc, dirt and street) but have not ridden regularly in about 8 years, especially a 500+lb. 1300cc monster.  I'm confident I can handle the learning curve for the Busa.  I'm not trying to break any speed records just speed limits.  I keed, I keed, officer.

#3 Ergonomics & Comfort: At 6'2"-6'3" and 210 lbs. would you Busa riders recommend risers for the handlebars.  The bike seems to have a longer reach, as do I, so I thought it would fit my frame as is.  Also, my wife said I can get a sport bike as long as it's comfortable for her as well (5'6" @ 140lbs...trying to get to 120lbs).  Will this bike be comfortable for her so I don't have to hear it
argue.gif
or is a Torbin type seat a must?

#4 Reliability/Maintenance:  I felt confident about the dependability, fit and finish factor until I read the threads about Busa problems and difficulties w/ warranty work.   Honestly, how concerned should I be?  

#5 New or Used: I'm very skeptical about buying such a sports machine from a previous owner.  You just don't know what they have done or haven't done w/ the bike.  Also, won't I get a better financing offer on a new Busa?  I can pay the offered low monthly payments for the term period and then refinance later. Right?

I will appreciate the feedback.

<!--EDIT|oZo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121796637 -->

First off, welcome to board.
I just purchased my Busa and know what you are going through. I'll try to give you my take on questions, but there are many much more qualified here.

#1 In a nutshell, shop around. I found State farm to be the best for me for the Busa. Geico was by far the most expensive here. It all depends on location,driving record,etc. I'm 41 squeaky clean, but live in NY.

#2 A controversial one. There are some here who will strongly advise against a Busa, some who say to go for it. I hadn't ridden in 20 years and am back in the saddle. The bike itself will not kill you, it WILL make it very easy to get yourself killed though. A slow RESPECTFUL re-learning process is in order.

#3 I'm 6'4", 215. I am comfortable. I also have lumbar disc issues and was concerned with sport riding position. Happily, it's a non-issue. I really haven't gotten much time on board, but so far it's been great. Can't comment on passenger, but the rear cowl fits nice !  
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

#4 Better left to the veterans here. I'm not even a rookie yet! I have been hearing BAD things about warranty here lately, and am concerned myself.

#5 I was leary about buying any m/c used, especially a sportbike. I found my '05 Busa with 226 miles and couldn't walk away. I paid $8200.00 for it after subtracting the Shoei lids, pipes, gear, etc.,included in package deal. I was waiting to hear from stealer on a new one for 10,300.00. I got an awesome deal on one clean Busa.

That all being said, welcome to the obsession. When you get her, be nice to her and she will return the favor. Run her too hard too fast and she will bite if you aren't careful.
They been called a jekyl and hyde bike here before.
The ZZR1200 is nice. People will walk right by it to check out a HAYABUSA though!!
cool.gif

tounge.gif

Welcome!

#1 Insurance: I'm 33, with no tickets and one accident (dual fault). I live in Fl, and have gieco insurance. I pay about $50 per month, but that doesn not include collission. I know that you mentioned that you have had a few bikes, but have you had an endorsement? I have heard that state farm has great rates, but when I called them, they wanted me to stack all vehicles, and I really like the insurance company I have for my cars. Insurance doesn't care about the bike being new or used, I think they are mode concerned with any mods you do for perfomance and any thing cosmetic, because they will charge you more for increased covereage.

#2 Experience: I rode four motorcycles before the Busa, 450, 600 x2, 1100. There are a lot of guys who buy the Busa as a first bike (personally, I wouldn't do that, but hey - free world right?). As long as you respect her, she will respect you. As far as setting land speed records - remember, that she is the devil! She will make you do things that you wouldn't normally do. It's hard not to speed on one!

#3 Ergonomics & Comfort: I am 5'8" and 210. The Busa is very comfortable for me. There are a few comfort mods that people get: risers, new seats (Tobins or Corbins are most common), aftermarket pegs (I've read that they taller riders sometimes install Buell pegs). Best would be to ride one and see how the bike fits you and your riding position. Change the riding position first if you can (no cost) then get the mods working. They will come in a steady stream anyway. My wife is 5'7" and currently about 135. She has no problem getting on the back and going with the stock seat. I will be getting here a Tobin soon, but I think that is as much for me as it is for her. The Corbin seat has a backrest and looks pretty nice, but expensive. There are lots of pics on the site, you might want to check out how some of this stuff looks.

#4 Reliability/Maintenance: I have an '01 with 12K on her and other than servicing and mods, she has never been in the shop. I have never had any problems with her, she is the most reliable bike that I have ever owned.

#5 New or Used: Of my five bikes to date, three were new and two were used (including the Busa). I picked my Busa up with almost no miles, because the guy scared himself and didn't want it want it anymore) There were only a couple hundred miles on her! As far as knowing what you are getting, if you know a good mechanic (one you trust) try to take the bike to them for a quick check-up. Certainly look for any scrapes/scratches or dents that might indicate a drop. Slightly mismatched fairings could mean a drop with replacements. As far as financing, if you do that, you have to get full coverage insurance. If you own the bike outright, you can modify that. I don't know how refinancing works on a motorcycle. If you can do it, I would recommend dropping cash - but a lot of people cannot.

Just my .02

I can only help with #1.. we are in Flordia (Tampa Bay) and have State Farm, and pay about $55 a month for full coverage on the Busa. GJoker is the main driver and he is 41 with 1 ticket.

My agent didn't require that we have our cars with them, I understand that some do require it.. Don't understand that one...

We had Progressive at first and it was through the roof.

But anyway....

Welcome, and good luck on your purchase.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|TheKatsMeow
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121818778 -->

1) State Farm seems to be the best, but that's something you're gonna have to figure out on your own.
2) I say get used to street riding on something else first, but that's just what I say........
3) I'm 6-6, 275 comfort is fine for me, back seat comfort is the best out there for a sport bike, my old lady is comfortable, she's about 5-10.170
4) If you beat your bike up and don't maintain her, she'll make you pay. Suzi's in general seem to be able to take more abuse than some other brands, however.
5) I say used, just be careful who you buy it from. Board members are usually to be trusted when disclosing what the bike was ridden like, but buyer beware.......

I have State Farm insurance as they had the lowest premiums.

Seatwise I have a Corbin passenger seat with backrest and the wife rides with me regularly. No complaints so far. The 'Busa is more of a Sports Tourer than the litre bikes, so your wife will be a lot more comfortable than perched on the back of an '05 Gixxer for example. I find the stock front seat to be pretty comfortable as is, but may put a Corbin or Suzuki gel on the front eventually.

You may find the stock windscreen too low, in which case most recommend the Zero Gravity Double Bubble Screen. I personally prefer/have the Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen as it's taller. Both enable you to see the instruments more easily without having to duck down, the stock screen tends to obscure the upper part of the instrument panel.

If you haven't ridden a sportbike before you may find it heavy on the wrists at first. However, if you learn to support your weight with your back/abs this will help take the pressure off. Some people go with handlebar risers and lower footpegs, it's personal preference, you may need to experiment.

As you're 34 you've hopefully grown out of some of your craziness, so a 'Busa may suit you as long as you can control the wrist-twisting urges. The bike is very fast, but at the same time it is well suited to cruising at legal speeds, because the torque means you don't have to keep shifting gears all the time like you do on smaller bikes. Once it's moving it doesn't feel like a monster, it's suprisingly agile and stable. I ride mine in the twisties regularly.

Can't speak to warranty issues as I haven't had to claim yet.

Welcome to the board.

Think you would do well with the Busa. Corbin seat with backrest will probably make your wife more comfortable because it will give her more support. The Tobin seats are nice (I have a set myself) and prevent some sliding, but don't have as much back support. New or used depends on how comfortable with the knowledge of the bike. Check out the board here for sales for some good deals. I have USAA for insurance so can't really help except to say that the number of cc's on the bike is what determines whether or not a company will cover and you and for how much. I'm 6'3" 220 and have no complaints with comfort. Do not compromise on the gear! It may not be your everyday style, but you should always dress for the crash and ride to avoid it! There are some ICON Super Duty boots that wouldn't be too bad if you had to wear shorts. And welcome to the board and good luck with the decision!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going out this weekend to shop around. The lowest I've seen in FL for a new bike, which I prefer, is $9995.00. Unfortunately this is at a dealer far away but I travel to that area regularly. Hopefully the dealers here on West Coast of FL are willing to match. I will also need to buy 2 helmets, warmweather jacket and possibly boots. I think laces are an invitation for disaster. Are there any non-boot/lightweight shoes available for riding? I know when taking a quick jaunt on a 100 degree day that I may be tempted to wear shorts and I won't be wearing boots with them. I will always wear my helmet!

I bought an 05 about two weeks ago and I am loving it.

I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area and have found that State Farm was my cheapest alternative. I added a car to my policy and is paying about $340 every six months for the motorcycle. The Policy would have been $680/per six months if I choose not to add the car. My allstate agent wanted $1800 to insure the motocycle for the year, even though my two other cars were with Allstate.

In terms of comfort, I may not be of much help since I am also a novice rider and I am not sure what is normal comfort on a motorcycle. After completing a little less tha 600 miles so far, I have some discomfort in my right forearm and my right elbow. Maybe just growing pains or bad riding position. Still trying to work that out but the pain does seem to be fading with each days ride. The stock seat seems fine and I don't feel any physical strain in my normal riding position. I am 6' 2" and about 245.

I do agree with some of the early posters that suggested changing the windshield. At highway speeds, 70 mph and above, I feel like the wind is trying to lift my helmet.

Hope some of these comments help. Enjoy.

I bought an 05 about two weeks ago and I am loving it.

I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area and have found that State Farm was my cheapest alternative. I added a car to my policy and is paying about $340 every six months for the motorcycle. The Policy would have been $680/per six months if I choose not to add the car. My allstate agent wanted $1800 to insure the motocycle for the year, even though my two other cars were with Allstate.

In terms of comfort, I may not be of much help since I am also a novice rider and I am not sure what is normal comfort on a motorcycle. After completing a little less tha 600 miles so far, I have some discomfort in my right forearm and my right elbow. Maybe just growing pains or bad riding position. Still trying to work that out but the pain does seem to be fading with each days ride. The stock seat seems fine and I don't feel any physical strain in my normal riding position. I am 6' 2" and about 245.

I do agree with some of the early posters that suggested changing the windshield. At highway speeds, 70 mph and above, I feel like the wind is trying to lift my helmet.

Hope some of these comments help. Enjoy.
What did you pay and where? I found out that dealers pay Suzuki around $9300.00 including $50 average for freight. This is the price to negotiate from. This is the no profit price for the dealer. Don't work % over their cost when they try to include set-up, tt&l. This is a separate cost.

oZo, Sorry for the delay.

I paid $10,700 after taxes and whatever else they pilled on there. I think the original sale price was 9,700. Bought from Broward Motorsport in Davie. Palm Beach cycles was also selling at about 9,500, before taxes etc..

Back