Helmet Question ?

Bosshound

Donating Member
Registered
Are some Helmet's Better Designed for High Speed Riding than Others ? IE: Less Wind Resisitance

YES, but I haven't found one that doesn't want to pull my head off  
wow.gif
above 130 mph if it's in the wind stream  
tounge.gif

Really, I find that the fit (tight is needed) is what is most important. And most people buy their helmets tooooo loose, hence the air flow tries to pull the helmet off because of the low pressure area in the helmet and it's slow release out of the air vents ! Yeah, those air vents that keeps your head cool in the summer. For me the shoei is the best and suppose to have the aero to push the helmet down. Though I couldn't prove that by my helmet  
beerchug.gif

(DaCol. @ Aug. 20 2007,00:41) YES, but I haven't found one that doesn't want to pull my head off  
wow.gif
above 130 mph if it's in the wind stream  
tounge.gif

Really, I find that the fit (tight is needed) is what is most important. And most people buy their helmets tooooo loose,
Made that mistake with my first helmet> Everytime I went over 65, it felt like my head wanted to pop off !! Now I got a Scorpion, that fits pretty snug, and feels VERY lite at speed. But from what happened to JINKSTER (I think it was him) at high speed, I don't know if I would recomend it to anybody, even though I LOVE MINE !!!

I have an HJC CL-SP and have been over 165 several times. Used it at a Track Day - even hit a buck-fifty yesterday with GSXcite and KanjiBusa.

Proper fit has a lot to do with it - also stay in a tuck - that will help direct the air over your head...

This subject has been visited several times and the main thing is find the helmet that fits your head shape. I have tried them all including the Suomy, Arai, Shoei(current), HJC. I have found that the Shoei and the Arai fit my head shape the best but the Suomy does not. Study up on how the helmet should fit and then go try several brands to find the one that fits the best.

I currently wear a Shoei RF1000 and I also use Shoei for my MX helmet as well. Arai's are kinda hard to get and they are pretty pricey compared to a good shoei. I have had my head bounce off of boulders racing the PPIHC and had no ill effect so I stay with Shoei.

Get a jacket with a speed hump or, better yet, one piece suit. The effectiveness is remarkable.

Back