Headed out to shoot tomorrow

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Will be the first time that my youngest has ever been out shooting at targets with dad using the big guns... We are headed to a friends house that has a 300 yard range on his property... I wanted my son to be able to have some safe fun shooting something that he could control (and that I could play with) so I picked up a Savage Mark II FV-SR rifle today with a scope and Bipod. 16.5 inch fluted barrel with a weighted bolt and accu trigger system.... He was thrilled when I pulled it out of the box with him this evening.. We will put a lot of rounds down range tomorrow....

A cheap but highly rated gun!

a.jpg

b.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

Last edited:
Happy Birthday, did you give him the speech?

"whatever you did yesterday, you were looked upon as a juvenile..whatever you do from today forward, you will be tried as an adult, to think carefully..with awesome power comes awesome responsibility"

nice have fun...taking my sons next week as well (10 and 13). the sooner they learn the proper way to shoot and the proper safety the more they are likely to respect firearms and behave appropriately with them.

I'm sunburned.... we put about 500 rounds down range today.. 11 yr old shot the Colt 15-22 for the first time and did really good.. He had the general idea from playing video games I think... Took him a few minutes to learn the basics and the it just wasn't the same as a BB gun... Here is his first 30 rounds starting from about 15 feet we kept taking steps backwards until we were about 20 yards away.. He really liked this gun...

2.jpg

We also took a blanket and laid on the ground prone and shot the new Savage .22 rifle, it did take long time to sight in and I was getting really frustrated. I was shooting and making adjustments from where my son told me we were hitting the target. I thought something might be up on his directions so I aimed downrange and pulled the trigger to watch what he was doing and he was playing with the empty casings... I asked him where I hit and he looked up and said left I think... he no more paid attention to where the round went than the man on the moon.. Once I realized I was getting bad info and started doing it myself I was sighted in about 15 minutes... We went back about 50 -75 yards and this was the best grouping I had all day... it was about 92 and I was laying in the sun with shorts on and getting pretty hot... I called it quits when I got this target done.... Not too bad for the first day with the new gun... Tristan was just peggin the targets with the Savage and the bipod, it just makes the shot so smooth....

1.jpg

Cant wait till next weekend... we are going out much earlier when its cooler...

cap

2.jpg

1.jpg

That savage is a great gun, my son (8) owns the wood stock version of that gun, it is superior in every way to other youth guns. The trigger is fantastic out of the box. You guys will enjoy that for many years to come. My son shoots my S&W M&P 15-22 as well and loves it. Enjoy.

Back