Hayabusa ride in Turkey, again

hayabusaTravels

Registered
Here is the story for the 3600 km ride in three weeks through Turkey between September 11 and October 1, 2021.
The complete road map was: Giurgiu - Ruse - Razgrad - Yambol - Hamzabeyli - Edirne - Çanakkale (+ Şeytan sofrası) - İzmir - Kuşadası (+ Ephesus) - Ölüdeniz - Antalya - Alanya - Konya (+ Çatalhöyük) - Eskişehir - Bursa - Istanbul - Edirne - Hamzabeyli - Yambol - Veliko Tarnovo - Giurgiu.
Obviously it was a incredible jurney where we headed to the beach and, although it was shorter than we would have liked, I am glad to have visited Ephesus and Çatalhöyük.
As usual, I'm gonna post "stories" and images as I did here with my previous trips.
Made a Youtube channel in english so I'll be able to post this trip and future ones here.
Thank you for watching.

Let's just start with the teaser:

Your a brave man having seen the Turkish driving first hand, first thing they must be taught is use of horn, second is just pull out no matter whats coming up behind

It's our second time we do a tour of Turkey, the first one was in 2018 at it was longer.
I very much don't have any issues with how the driveing is in Turkey.
Little minor inconveninces once or twice, but nothing compared to car drivers from my country Romania.
While in Turkey I used the horn maybe 3 times and only once to avoid a crash.

It's our second time we do a tour of Turkey, the first one was in 2018 at it was longer.
I very much don't have any issues with how the driveing is in Turkey.
Little minor inconveninces once or twice, but nothing compared to car drivers from my country Romania.
While in Turkey I used the horn maybe 3 times and only once to avoid a crash.
yeah they used to drive very aggressive when I was there last

yeah they used to drive very aggressive when I was there last
I recall driving in Cyprus back in the late '80s, the round-a-bouts were a wild place to be...the adage of having the loudest horn was alive and well there....the locals would honk and go often without looking...

I was crew commanding an M-113 which has a "wimpy" horn and we'd honk it and proceed only to be cut off by a guy in a mini who heard our weak horn and hit his loud air horn and went without looking...he got a real surprise when he looked out his window and saw a track coming straight for him...there was some fancy driving on his part...

On the M-113 theme in Cyprus...everyone parked on both sides of a narrow street heading into our base, I remember being in the back and hearing loud noises and what appeared to be bits of glass and plastic flying into the back through the open hatches...

When we got into the base we noted this glass and plastic was from many side mirrors from cars along the street....the driver veered slightly and took out about 20 side mirrors....

As always nice video from you :beerchug: When I was there a couple of years ago luckily just before Covid I did a short tour of the black sea road from IZMIR to the border of GEORGIA on a bus it was beautiful scenery And to my surprise the roads were in pretty good condition Thought to myself got to ride these roads one day as I have a few relatives who live in IZMIR :thumbsup:

Thank you!
Let's continue...

The day of the departure has come. Finally! This time I didn't leave very early in the morning, but very easily. Around 12 I was in Russe customs.

We pass this customs easily and proceed to Turkey. The chosen route was the shortest, according to Google Maps, ie the one through Razgrad -> Yambol - Elhovo -> Hamzabeyli.
And, to make sure that Garmin doesn't take us anywhere bad, I chose some gps coordinates from the Google Maps route and went from coordinate to coordinate.

The road is quite ok, but I also encountered sections with a dirt road that will be paved. Very light traffic throughout Bulgaria. No congestion, no road accidents.

Then we stopped to take a picture, we found thi mountain very interesting.
1b.jpg

I arrived at Hamzabeyli customs shortly after 6 p.m. The closer we got to customs with Turkey, the more I kept thinking about that I did not fill in my entry forms. That form where you have to specify, in addition to the contact details and the data of the hotel, where you are staying. This requirement is more recent and is due to the pandemic.
What date should we give considering that we will visit different locations?
We stay one night in Edirne, in Canakkale, too. We will only stay in Kușadasi for 3 nights.

We go into customs and I'm surprised it's almost no traffic. Only 3 cars in front, all from Bulgaria.
We go through all the checks and when the customs officer from "baggage control" sees me moving back and forth trying to open the topcase, he asks me: "any electronics, cigarettes, alcohol?"
Obviously I don't have that, so I answer in the negative and he beckons me to leave.

And here's how I got through customs. I don't think it lasted more than 8 minutes at all.
At the sanitary check, I was told with hand signs to move on.
We are completely vaccinated and we have the certificate both in print and on the phones.
They didn't care about that at customs.

From here, the road to Edirne is smooth, but I was amazed by the number of trucks that were queuing at the exit from Turkey. Tail slightly a few km.

We enter Edirne and as we approach the city center, I apply a normal rear brake, like any brake you put when you hit a speed bump. And my rear wheel goes to the left wantinf to lowside.
I scared Kitty again.
Obviously I kept the motorcycle upright, but it surprised me.
You brake with the intensity you are used in the given the situation, knowing how the motorcycle will behave because you have done this often enough to have that certainty.
And here's what happens.
When I have a passenger and luggages, in normal situations in cities and any roads, I start braking only with my rear. I use the face break as a supplement in case is found that I miscalculated the stopping distance.
If in the above case we braked directly with our front, there was a chance that we would be picked up from the ground.

Stopped at the traffic light, I tested the asphalt with my boots and it is very slippery here too. Honestly, so far it hasn't been like that.

We quickly went to Hotel Balta to pick up our room. We did not make a reservation but we simply showed up at the reception. They also gave me a discount because I came back to them ... 280 TL / night, from 350. Good!

After eating something we retire slowly to the hotel, it is already dark and we end the day here.
Tomorrow it's an easy trip to Canakkale, so no hurry.

Images of the city from the hotel restaurant in Edirne:

2b.jpg

3b.jpg

We leave Edirne around 11 in the morning after breakfast.
Quite upset considering that they moved my motorcycle without being notified, after they told me to park it there the night before.
The hotel has private and guarded parking.
When I took the luggage to the motorcycle, I found that it was somewhere else.

After a discussion with the reception, we left for Canakkale. We gased up and got out of town easily.
We also made the road to Izmir in the 2018 tour, so no stress ahead.

Near Kilitbahir, where we will take the ferry to Canakkale, I come across a new bridge under construction. The greatness of the construction makes us stop for a few pictures.
4b.jpg

5b.jpg

6b.jpg

We make another stop for I saw an interesting place to take a picture and Kitty, taking the opportunity, "tests" the water by hand. Very warm.

7b.jpg

8b.jpg

We continue and, given that the ferries are crossing every hour, we decide to eat something beforehand. After a Kofte in half a loaf of bread, we then board the ferry after paying 17TL, the ticket.
The road is very short, less than 10 minutes, we didn't even take our helmets off.

Bye-bye Europe:

9b.jpg

Hello Asia:

10b.jpg

Here's a video of the day, in english, from my new youtube channel:

Also, Instagram if anywone is curious about images from my previous trips:

Images of the city from the hotel restaurant in Edirne:

View attachment 1642180

View attachment 1642181

We leave Edirne around 11 in the morning after breakfast.
Quite upset considering that they moved my motorcycle without being notified, after they told me to park it there the night before.
The hotel has private and guarded parking.
When I took the luggage to the motorcycle, I found that it was somewhere else.

After a discussion with the reception, we left for Canakkale. We gased up and got out of town easily.
We also made the road to Izmir in the 2018 tour, so no stress ahead.

Near Kilitbahir, where we will take the ferry to Canakkale, I come across a new bridge under construction. The greatness of the construction makes us stop for a few pictures.
View attachment 1642182

View attachment 1642183

View attachment 1642184

We make another stop for I saw an interesting place to take a picture and Kitty, taking the opportunity, "tests" the water by hand. Very warm.

View attachment 1642185

View attachment 1642186

We continue and, given that the ferries are crossing every hour, we decide to eat something beforehand. After a Kofte in half a loaf of bread, we then board the ferry after paying 17TL, the ticket.
The road is very short, less than 10 minutes, we didn't even take our helmets off.

Bye-bye Europe:

View attachment 1642187

Hello Asia:

View attachment 1642188

Here's a video of the day, in english, from my new youtube channel:

Also, Instagram if anywone is curious about images from my previous trips:
Thanks for taking us on your trip....really cool....

You're lucky to have a wife who enjoys travelling with you.

0b.jpg

After the indispensable picture with that horse from the movie Troy with Brad Pitt, we head to the exit of the city. We gas up paying 7.91TL/l and move go.

Very good road, but you already know that.
We don't stop at the ruins of the city of Troy because we already visited it in 2018, so we go to Şeytan Sofrasi (Devil's Table) a tourist place where you can see some islands.
On the way we had some adventures, one was about to hit us when changeing lanes with a old Dacia car and, a few tens of minutes later, a sting came into my eyes.

The Satan's Foodprint is actually the traces of an extinct volcano, whose lava seeped into a kind of pond and took the form of a table. From here you can admire the whole region, with islands, bays, pine forests etc.

You could stay at the restaurant, but we were content with just a few pictures. I don't think we stayed for more than 20 minutes and left for Kusadasi.

2b.jpg

3b.jpg

4b.jpg

5b.jpg

6b.jpg

7b.jpg

8b.jpg

1b.jpg

On the way to Kușadasi we stop at a gas station to hydrate and, surprisingly, we come across a group of motorcyclists from Kuwait. I would have liked to talk, but we arrived when they were getting ready to leave.
After this lunch break we continue to Kușadasi.

1b.jpg

2b.jpg

3b.jpg

4b.jpg

5b.jpg

6b.jpg

7b.jpg

The road:

We arrive in Kușadasi and the first hotel in the list of options found the night before we can't find rooms. Only good because it was still a bit far from the center. We go to the second option and manage to stay at Karaaslan Inn.
0.jpg

1b.jpg

We pick up our room and quickly go to the beach with the thought of taking a bath. It was still 28 degrees outside, even though it was cloudy.
No chance to swim: the water was very cold.
Maybe tomorrow when it is announced again 31 degrees C.

We go out through the city to rinse our eyes and take the pulse of the cliff and the streets. Kitty wants to see what they're selling here, the famous "original replica" items.
We also had to eat something.
We stay here for three nights so we have time.

The next day is for the beach and splashing so there isn't much to say. The sunbeds are 70TR with table and umbrella. Mattress missing everywhere at the beach next to the hotel.
We spend the day at the beach and then go out again through the city.
The resort is small, all you have to do is walk along the seafront and through the "commercial" area with alleys full of shops. The sellers are annoying everywhere inviting you to enter whether it is a shop or a terrace / restaurant. Or you can get wasted at the terraces everywhere.

01.jpg

02b.jpg

2b.jpg

3b.jpg

4b.jpg

5b.jpg

View attachment 1642787

On the way to Kușadasi we stop at a gas station to hydrate and, surprisingly, we come across a group of motorcyclists from Kuwait. I would have liked to talk, but we arrived when they were getting ready to leave.
After this lunch break we continue to Kușadasi.

View attachment 1642788

View attachment 1642789

View attachment 1642790

View attachment 1642791

View attachment 1642792

View attachment 1642793

View attachment 1642794

The road:

We arrive in Kușadasi and the first hotel in the list of options found the night before we can't find rooms. Only good because it was still a bit far from the center. We go to the second option and manage to stay at Karaaslan Inn.
View attachment 1642795

View attachment 1642796

We pick up our room and quickly go to the beach with the thought of taking a bath. It was still 28 degrees outside, even though it was cloudy.
No chance to swim: the water was very cold.
Maybe tomorrow when it is announced again 31 degrees C.

We go out through the city to rinse our eyes and take the pulse of the cliff and the streets. Kitty wants to see what they're selling here, the famous "original replica" items.
We also had to eat something.
We stay here for three nights so we have time.

The next day is for the beach and splashing so there isn't much to say. The sunbeds are 70TR with table and umbrella. Mattress missing everywhere at the beach next to the hotel.
We spend the day at the beach and then go out again through the city.
The resort is small, all you have to do is walk along the seafront and through the "commercial" area with alleys full of shops. The sellers are annoying everywhere inviting you to enter whether it is a shop or a terrace / restaurant. Or you can get wasted at the terraces everywhere.

View attachment 1642797
View attachment 1642798
View attachment 1642799
View attachment 1642800
View attachment 1642801
View attachment 1642802
Was that dog one of the ones that got wasted on the terraces? LOL!

Great pictures and looks like a very fun adventure...

On the last day of our stay in Kușadasi we go to visit Ephesus.
I didn't get to visit it in 2018, so now the opportunity has arisen.

Ephesus is 17km (10,9mi) away from Kușadasi, so there is no stress.

1b.jpg

The road is beautiful and we stopped for a few pictures.

2b.jpg

3b.jpg

We reach Ephesus and park in the paid parking lot: 10TR.

We leave our helmets and motorcycle jackets at a souvenir shop that also manages the parking lot, then we go to the entrance.
Kitty doesn't want to come in and tells me she's waiting for me on the terrace.

The ticket costs 120TR, the version without audio or human guide.
Legends say that Ephesus was founded about 3200 years ago by the Amazons and was ruled by 5 civilizations: Greek, Persian, Roman, Christian and Ottoman.
The most flourishing period was under the Romans, and the most destructive under the Christians.
During the Romans, Ephesus was the second largest city in the empire, after Rome.

4b.jpg

5b.jpg

Ephesus is where one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world existed, and named the Temple of Artemis, destroyed by fire in 356 BC, on the same night that Alexander the Great was born.
It was set on fire by a local who wanted to become famous.
Obviously, the temple was rebuilded later.

3_Temple-of-Artemis-A11.jpg

6b.jpg

The ancient city of Ephesus did not lack well-made roads, sewerage, public lighting, water tanks, thermal baths, markets as a meeting and trade place, fountains and gates decorated by skilled craftsmen, library, theaters and stadium for competitions, and even public toilets.
The city main street is lined with bulidings grand even in their ruin state.

It had about 250,000 inhabitants and among them were the greatest artists and merchants of the time.

7b.jpg

The amphitheater in Ephesus being the place of organizing the most important events and being the most important side of social life, here took place every year, in April, a great celebration in honor of the goddess Artemis.
The amphitheater could accommodate 25,000 people.
Here St. Paul preached and was "booed" by the locals who drove him out of the city fearing that the sermons would affect the stability of the cult of Artemis.
Ephesus produced and sold an impressive number of statues of the goddess Artemis.

artemis.jpg

Paul was expelled and that is why in the Bible we have Paul's letter to the Ephesians.

8b.jpg

9b.jpg

Ephesus was a center of learning and the birthplace and home of the great Pre-Socratic philosopher Heraclitus. Women enjoyed rights and privileges equal to men and there are records of female artists, sculptors, painters and teachers.
At night the streets of the city were brightly lit with oil lamps, a luxury not many cities could afford.

10b.jpg

11b.jpg

Ephesus remained under Persian rule until liberated by Alexander the Great in 334 BCE.
The city suffered severe damage in an earthquake in 17 CE. After that Ephesus became once more a very important center of trade and commerce. The historian Aristio, and others, describe Ephesus as being recognized by all the inhabitants of the region as the most important trading center in Asia.

12b.jpg

It also remained a leading political and intellectual center, boasting the impressive Celsus Library and the second school of philosophy in the Aegean.
The library, the third largest of the roman empire is a higlight.
Statues of women celebrating the virtues of of learning and wisdom inspired the citisens.

13b.jpg

14b.jpg

15b.jpg

From the 1st century CE onwards, Ephesus was visited repeatedly by early Christians (most notably Saint Paul, who preached and was 'booed' in the theater there), and Mary, the mother of Jesus, is said to have retired there along with Saint John (John's tomb and Mary's house may still be visited today).
The Biblical Book of Ephesians is an epistle written by Paul to the Christian community at Ephesus.
After Christianity became the dominant religion of the region, Ephesus declined in culture and intellectual pursuits. The Emperor Theodosius had all of the temples and schools closed and women were reduced to second-class citizen status, no longer allowed to teach men or work independently in the arts.

Worship of the ancient mother goddess Artemis was forbidden and the Temple of Artemis was destroyed by a Christian mob, the ruins used as a quarry for building materials for other local projects such as churches.

16b.jpg

17b.jpg

18b.jpg

That's it, we're leaving Kusadasi.
Next location: Olundeniz. For 2 nights.
About 290 km ...
The night before, I looked on the net about three hotels, I wrote down their GPS coordinates, the first being the most beautiful.
In case it doesn't have rooms, we go to the next one on the list.
In the morning we set off slowly.

The road is quite picturesque, we stop here and there to have tea, some water ... to eat something.
Very hot: near Olundeniz Kitty you will see a temperature indicator on the street indicating 39°C.

1b.jpg

2b.jpg

Many places to cross, each with 4-5 traffic lights, all on red ...
You wait and wait, then the motorcycle fan starts ...

We enter the city and stop directly at the hotel gate. We check in and quickly go to the beach.

Ölüdeniz is a resort village on the southwest coast of Turkey. It is known for the blue lagoon, Tabiat park and for the wide and white beach called Belcekiz where we stayed.

The has beach the right type of sand at first, but when you get close to the sea ... the pebbles. Bigger, smaller ... in the water, too.
Not to mention that if you take 4 serious steps in the water, it jumps off your shoulders.

1b.jpg

2b.jpg

3b.jpg

4b.jpg

We sit by the sea and return to the room with the thought that we will walk around the resort the next evening.

A day of beach follows and, in the afternoon, maybe a visit to the famous blue lagoon. 60TR for 2 sunbeds with umbrella and mattresses. They didn't have a coffee table.

The beach started well with fine sand, but at the edge of the sea, there were only stones of considerable width. Of all sizes. As with construction.

The plan was to stay at the beach until about 5 pm, then visit the blue lagoon on foot, because it's close.

Olundeniz beach is very interesting, every hour you had the impression that a paraglider lands on your umbrella. Many and some of them ventured very, very high and far. Others passed over the beach.

5b.jpg

7b.jpg

The water was warm enough not to make you shiver. There were a lot of kids in the water, so okay.
But very deep from the beach. I mean, in three or four more serious steps it jumped out at you.
I also have 1.82m. The children sat by the shore where the waves broke. Life is hard when you're little.
Or when you don't know how to swim.

6b.jpg

When we got to the room it took us a while to get the urge to just walked around town. "Great" walk, because there is only one street, except for the cliff that leads to the blue lagoon.

Other than the beach and paragliding you have nothing to do in the resort. A paragliding jump was 500TR in one place, 600TR in another. Kitty is scared, and I'm overweight. You must be under 100 kg ... I don't even remember when I had a hundred.

We drink another "vitamin", ie pomegranate and orange juice squeezed on the spot, we take another look at a stores and the day is over. They all greeted us in Russian and invited us to visit their store. There were more Russians than Turks in the resort.

We will visit the blue lagoon in the morning before we leave. We take the motorcycle there, take some pictures and head to Antalya.

Nice video and thanks for sharing,
Brings back memories of when I went about 4 years ago and had a go at the hand gliding, I'm sure the trip to the top in the old transit van was worse than being told' What ever you do don't stop running '
When you're jumping off the mountain

Thanks for the kind words.
Let's continue...

After breakfast we started looking for the hotel for the next destination.
Kitty looks at the phone and sees that today it will be 31°C.
Change of plans.
It is approx. 330 km. In this heat ... no thanks, so we decide to stop in Antalya.
We quickly find three hotels and get ready to go.

But first, let's go to the Blue Lagoon, because the world praises it.
We hand over there while outside is already 28°C, at 9 in the morning.
Arrived in the parking lot at the lagoon - 7TR motorcycle parking fee - and continue on foot.
Me with the motorcycle helmet on my head and complete motorcycle equipment.

And we go, and go ... On foot.
I thought it was relatively close and positioned so that I could take a beautiful picture of the motorcycle in the foreground.
Nope.
It's a few hundred meters walk and you come to a lagoon with normal water, not nearly as blue as in the pictures on the net.
Photoshop strikes again.
My sweat was flowing where I never thought my sweat could ever flow.
I'm filming a bit, I'm taking some pictures and let's go back to the bike.

1b.jpg

2b.jpg

Video of what I've said:

A terrace catches my eye on the way back, so we stop for a drink.
I get some water and Kitty gets a pink juice. That one has Mendeleev's table in its composition.
Obviously, it's a long drink, some ice colored pink.
I drank the 0.5l in three, four mouth water bottle and Kitty had barely drunk a quarter.
Let's face it, we are gonna stay some time here, so I'm going to take some more pictures on the beach by the end.

3b.jpg

4b.jpg

5b.jpg

When I get back, Kitty still had half a drink.
Me in motorcycle pants and boots, so did she. Outside, slightly above 30°C.

Eventually Kitty finishes the drink, meaning she left 30% in the glass and finally we go to Antalya.
The road is absolutely insane, minus a few stops at traffic lights. We took a few breaks on the way, either to hydrate or to take another picture.

9b.jpg

6b.jpg

7b.jpg

8b.jpg

10b.jpg

11b.jpg

The traffic police also stop us, for the first time since we are in Turkey:

We arrive in Antalya, the traffic is quite light and the GPS leaves me right at the hotel reception.

Kitty obviously wants to go to the bazaar. But first let me take advantage of the light and start filming something for you guys.
With only one evening to go out through Antalya, we decide to go to the port and catch the sunset. After that we would walk to the hotel.

We take the elevator down to the port and go on a pontoon to catch the sunset. Many boats anchored on the shore, I saw the one with the one we did a sea tour in 2018 when I was here before. We catch a beautiful sunset on that pontoon, full of people.

0b.jpg

1b.jpg

7b.jpg

2b.jpg

3b.jpg

4b.jpg

5b.jpg

We return to the city on foot to visit Kitty's bazaar. Luckily for me, the visit was extremely short, she didn't stop anywhere. Quite deserted on the streets of the bazaar, far from the crowds encountered in 2018. And then we visited in October ...
It seems that the number of stores has also decreased. All with the same products for sale.

On the way back to the hotel we meet a lot of police, most of them seriously armed.
And that's how our second motorcycle visit to Antalya ended.
This time I was close to the port and I didn't walk 12km like last time.

Guys I'd really, really apreciate if you subscribe and watch my videos. I'm trying to get to 100 subscribers on my channel so a lot of work is gonig into this videos.
The whole trip I had to do videos speaking in romanian and also in english for this new channel.
Thank you!

BTW: still lot's to post here from this trip!

After breakfast we start looking for hotels in Alanya. We quickly find three options and start packing our luggage.

We go first to find a spray to grease the chain for that I "forgot" mine at a hotel somewhere. We find a service where the "boys" help me to grease the chain. They do not accept money and I insist on giving them 20TR. I buy a Motul C2 spray from there (60TR) and that's it, we go to Alanya.
But first I stayed for about 40 minutes for a tea and a coffee and allow the chain to "dry" a bit.

The 125 km road is quite crowded at the exit from Antalya, but then it frees up. We stop 4 times on the way, to eat and then only hydration breaks. High heat: 33°C but they felt more. A lot more.

We reach 10km away from Alanya and stop again at a gas station, to hydrate. I find there that my short beam bulb burned out. We won't have to ride at night anyway and with my equipment, I'm visible from the moon.

We enter the city and quickly reach the chosen hotel where we are staying. As usual we set the GPS to drop us right at the entrance to the hotel. We didn't feel like going for a swim in the sea anymore - the heat on the road made us very tired, so we walked around the city to eat and walk.

We for a doner kebap with the indispensable Ayran and then we go to Cleopatra's beach for the sunset.
Before we leave the beach, we talk to the person in charge of the sunbeds to keep us one in the first row for the next day. He asks me for 20TR tip.
We'll pay for the sunbeds in the morning when we get to the beach. 45TR two sunbeds with mattresses and umbrella.

1b.jpg

2b.jpg

3b.jpg

3d.jpg

9b.jpg

10b.jpg

11b.jpg

Kitty wants to get another swimsuit so we walk to look at the streets further back.
She finds something she likes (Victoria's Secret, no less) and I that's how I part ways with the last money I had with me: 145TR.
Now, with just 1TR coin in my pocket and already dark outside, we retreat to the air-conditioned hotel room.
Very, very hot outside.

12b.jpg

Back