Hayabusa in New Zealand

Climate change is here and we are fighting it in projects all over the world. This is a project that we are working on and we had to design it on a platform raised 12 feet in the air due to sea-level rise and the anticipated storm surge. It is stunning to see what's happening from the front line.

View attachment 1632226
I know this isn't quite the same as what you are speaking of...

It baffles me as to how many places were built in known flood plains...just because a flood plain hasn't flooded in a thousand years doesn't mean it will never flood...

However, all the reading and watching about New Zealand shows there are still glaciers at work...so maybe they will be getting more water as they melt.

I know this isn't quite the same as what you are speaking of...

It baffles me as to how many places were built in known flood plains...just because a flood plain hasn't flooded in a thousand years doesn't mean it will never flood...

However, all the reading and watching about New Zealand shows there are still glaciers at work...so maybe they will be getting more water as they melt.
We have a strip of land here in NC (I'm on the VA - NC border) called the outer banks. It was created in a single storm back in the 1800s. Now there are $2-10 million Dollar mansions on it. It is gorgeous. People are renting those for $2-8K for a week! They are gambling that it will last long enough to be paid for before it gets swamped by the ocean. The government doesn't underwrite the flood insurance anymore, you're on your own.

The government was letting people build where they want but started pulling back on underwriting insurance. Now FEMA makes you build the structure to withstand max storm surge (flooding), hence our new building is 12 feet off the ground. Everything below that 12 feet must be able to be washed away in a flood without damage to the primary structure of the building.

We used to design to 100-year storms. We are haveing 2-3 100 year events every year now and some years we have had multiple 500-year events. When we have a hurricane the water gets pushed up into rivers and the coast. 5-10 foot surges are now common multiple times a year. You have to add sea level rise (2-3 feet) and wind (wind drives the surge higher, and now Cat 4 & 5 storms are making landfall a year). Pretty dam scary to be honest.

Everyone is trying to figure this out. There are countries that have existed centuries below sea level in the Netherlands, so there are ways to survive this without just evacuating thousands of miles of developed coastline. There are a lot of really smart people working on this every day.

You know this drill. You are the guy sitting in some arse-backward country with bullets flying by your head and back home nobody even knows anything is going on.

Wow. So I write an intro based on facts, experience and (god help me) feelings - for the mighty Hayabusa.org and get slavered with a poultice of vj calls and demands for pics. Just did a short 350km ride last Sunday and then, wait for it -cleaned the beast! Must be a keeper then. It’s all about the ride with me dudes, still running the big girl in so only saw 10 000 rpm a few times and the right times. Turbine smooth and handles like a 260kg bike should with no surprises. Has good road presence as well. Gtiing more waves from Harley riders than when I even road one. Might post some pics soon but don’t know if you guys will get the step through clutch and shopping basket!

Wow. So I write an intro based on facts, experience and (god help me) feelings - for the mighty Hayabusa.org and get slavered with a poultice of vj calls and demands for pics. Just did a short 350km ride last Sunday and then, wait for it -cleaned the beast! Must be a keeper then. It’s all about the ride with me dudes, still running the big girl in so only saw 10 000 rpm a few times and the right times. Turbine smooth and handles like a 260kg bike should with no surprises. Has good road presence as well. Gtiing more waves from Harley riders than when I even road one. Might post some pics soon but don’t know if you guys will get the step through clutch and shopping basket!
You have to have a bit of patience and humor to be around this place...

Generally we are pretty passionate when it comes to our Hayabusas....we even have members here which no longer have Busas or even bikes who come on and hang out.

So I’ve just bought a new 2020 Hayabusa. I’m 58 years old and have been riding motorcycles for 50 years. Learned on a step thru Honda 90, owned lots since; z900 Kawasaki, Honda Firestorm, Harley road king, Deuce, Triumph rocket 3, Speed Triple R, ktm 690 enduro r to name a few - and I’m still learning. Roads here in NZ range from poop (metal) to perfect (bitumen) every 20 km. In regards to the Hayabusa I have never ridden a bike so easy to ride well. The ride is smooth and the un-limited (real world) power is a comfort. Love the looks and the lack of tech. If or when the arse goes out on this baby it’ll be my fault not the bike’s. Love how this bike is 20+ years old and it can still cut the mustard, plus the wife can’t call me when I’m out riding. It’s kind of funny but with this bike I’m thinking about all the years of motorcycling I still have left rather than demerit points.
Welcome Henry,,,,,,,to the Busa addiction.:beerchug:

When it comes to climate change there aren't believers and non-believers, there's the believers and the ignorant. Sorry friends facts is facts. I understand the people who accept that it's happening but don't think we can stop it, but it's definitely happening.
Sorry "friends" my "facts are facts" and you are just ignorant.

Back