Hayabusa for starter bike?

Picking a first bike is a real challenge, sport bikes as a first ride are generally not a good choice.
Most first time owners will incur damage in the first 8 hrs.
If money is not an issue buy new, stay away from a busa for a first ride.
Riding any high performance motorcycle requires years of experience and a mature attitude.
Unfortunately we live in a country where people have no patience, little self control and want everything now.
People on this site have seen many first time busa owners crash and burn because they had to have the biggest baddest motorcycle and did not take advice from anyone.
Some, rare first time motorcycle owners buy a busa and survive. They are the exception and not the rule.
No one here knows you well enough to give you a definite answer.
Take your time and make an wise informed decision.
I would learn to walk before trying to run.
Invest in a good set of frame protectors, riding gear and take a safety class.
If you have a group of friends that ride, ask their advice, they know you best.
Good luck, and :welcome:

:welcome:

I have always contended that a bike like the busa is best left for the experienced and it has to do with your ability to operate the bike in "automatic" mode..

when things go bad, you need instant reflexes and in the early part of your riding carreer.. it is not going to be so "automatic"

What has this got to do with the bike you ask? Not much...

BUT what it does have to do with is the amount of time allowed for thinking and any poor judgment errors..

the SV650 listed above (and they come in a 1000 too) goes 0-60 in maybe 5 seconds or so.. The Busa around 3..

If something happens in this time, you almost double the amount of time you have to react.. that is extra time to remember the brakes, clutch, counter steering, find an escape route, brace for crash etc..

I could never really quantify this until I read "Twist of the wrist 2" ..

In the most simple of terms, you have a finite amount of attention (say $10).. when you run out, you run out..

Riding a new bike may take $6-8 worth just to run the controls.. that leaves $2-4 for everything else..

After you have ridden for some time, the amount of attention to ride the bike may only be $.50 leaving $9 for situational awareness... (and the abiity to control testosterone)

Reflex reactions are so much faster than thinking ACK!! brakes, clutch, steering, hole, swerve...

Sure you can get a hyper bike as a first bike and survive, but I am positive you will have more fun working up the ladder a bit mastering one bike and then the next.. (you will also outride virtually ANY rider that started on a "hyperbike" first..)

nothing good comes fast IMHO...

Last edited:
:welcome:

I have always contended that a bike like the busa is best left for the experienced and it has to do with your ability to operate the bike in "automatic" mode..

when things go bad, you need instant reflexes and in the early part of your riding carreer.. it is not going to be so "automatic"

What has this got to do with the bike you ask? Not much...

BUT what it does have to do with is the amount of time allowed for thinking and any poor judgement errors..

the SV650 listed above (and they come in a 1000 too) goes 0-60 in maybe 5 seconds or so.. The Busa around 3..

If something happens in this time, you almost double the amount of time you have to react.. that is extra time to remember the brakes, clutch, counter steering, find an escape route, brace for crash etc..

I could never really quantify this until I read "Twist of the wrist 2" ..

In the most simple of terms, you have a finite amount of attention (say $10).. when you run out, you run out..

Riding a new bike may take $6-8 worth just to run the controls.. that leaves $2-4 for everything else..

After you have ridden for some time, the amount of attention to ride the bike may only be $.50 leaving $9 for sitiational awareness... (and the abiity to control testosterone)

Reflex reactions are so much faster than thinking ACK!! brakes, clutch, steering, hole, swerve...

Sure you can get a hyper bike as a first bike and survive, but I am positive you will have more fun working up the ladder a bit mastering one bike and then the next.. (you will also outride virtually ANY rider that started on a "hyperbike" first..)

nothing good comes fast IMHO...
What a funsucker :laugh:

It's just my standard answer to this question :) I am just always amazed that someone would seriously ask it ???
And the neat thing is it will never ever stop being asked.............ever :thumbsup:
There's always going to be the new folks coming up that have to learn (but don't want to hear) the lessons us older folks already know. I'm starting to see why old folks are so grumpy, they're just plain sick of the redundancy of life. Its almost like being psychic, you know whats going to happen ahead of time but can't do a thing about it...very irritating :poke: Its a good thing people don't live longer, we'd lose our minds before the body quit :laugh: You just have to learn to quit :banghead: , and let folks do what they're going to do. The ones that are meant to survive will :beerchug: the rest R.I.P.

The sv650 is a great starter... enough power to still be fun, but forgiving enough to let you "oops" a few times...

Plus it is liek a cult classic. They have such a following, that you can do anything to that bike. Also, when you buy it used, unless you trash it, you will be able to sell it for the same price you paid or with very little loss....

As for the busa, You can fish here all you want untill you find the answer you "want" to hear. At the end of the day, its up to you... Only you know if you have enough self control to make it safely. If you want to get out there and grip it and rip it, then by and upgrade a nice orange and black 08 :), if you can behave, then the bike is no faster than anything else unless you want it to be.

Of course, most people would say a corvette for anyoen under 30 (or 40 or whatever) is too much for a new driver....

Last edited:
SV650S spells FUN :)

p1050734.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was your Corvette your first car???

And I love how people think the Busa is for taller people. I'm pretty sure it's engineered for a Japanese guy who's 5'10".
If I were you I'd get a Ninja 650r.

I would have loved to have that as a first bike. It's got the torquey, forgiving nature of the sv650, but it's better looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make sure you drop it on the left side so I can snag your intact plastics. 08, orange, please.

Your call If you have self control I don't see why not but I recommend taking it easy for a couple years not a couple of thousand miles. MSF course won't really help you with the Busa maybe a track course be better. Best bike on the planet gl with what ever your choice is.

If you treat the streets like a road course regardless of your experience you will be getting hurt real quick regardless of what bike you ride SV or Busa.

Last edited:
Your call If you have self control I don't see why not but I recommend taking it easy for a couple years not a couple of thousand miles. MSF course won't really help you with the Busa maybe a track course be better. Best bike on the planet gl with what ever your choice is.
I dont even know where to start on this one....

Excellant advice.

And when this happens .

YouTube - Is it fast

please will what's left of your bike to the Org. please.

Lol. if you have to ask if a gsxr1000 is fast you probably shouldn't even be looking at it the wrong way, I think they can hear the rookies coming lol. THat video never gets old..

I got a Hayabusa as my first ever motorcycle 3 years ago and now regret it because I want something to throw through the corners and is better for wheelies(anyone have a low-priced, good quality busa turbo??). It's heavy, you'll drop it. It's powerful, you'll spin the tire, possibly throwing yourself off. Just a lot of bad possibilities but if you want it, get it!

As a matter of fact, buy mine!! 2006 pearl white with 5600 miles. Listed in the 'Classifieds' section on this website, check it out. :thumbsup:

Back