Has anyone had their repaint peel/blister?

kenh7

Registered
After getting my front fairings repainted, the shop used the stock 04 limited paint, but it has blistered and cracked all around the fairing parts hit with direct heat (low end, fairing vent holes for the radiator, bottom piece by the pipes). The repair shop is threatening to stop trying, claiming that my bike is running too hot, but the only mod I have is R22 cans. Any ideas?! Anyone else have this issue? Thanks guys!

Poor prep work, bad batch of paint, or no adhesion promotor on the bare plastic. Did they seal the pieces before topcoating?
Posted via Mobile Device

I seen this a few times.. from one certain painter, I really dont care for.. one cause low quality paint.(but you mentioned it's stock paint, probaly from colorite) I dont know there quality, but I would guess it's good..another big problem is contaminants..
the parts need to be cleaned properly...

Its all in the prep work they are not doing it right ! I have ran to this my self it was all in the prep work and the paint . If you payed the money to have it done and they wont fix it tell them to give your money back .

I repainted mine and had this problem,I used house of color,and adhesion promotor,it only blister by the bottom vents and was between the prime and paint,i believe my problem was the fact that I used a cheap clear, I new better but money was tight,:beerchug:

well the repair shop first tried to color match the limited red (failing horribly, mind you) and the paint blistered within 2 weeks. the second time they painted it, it cracked and blistered using the OEM paint after a week and was even worse than the first time. they have yet to take blame for it, and i'm at the point where i'm not sure how to get this corrected other than to bring it up with my insurance company. i'll try to put some pictures up of it and maybe someone can identify the problem..

Need proper prep work. Ive never had one blister or peel. I have seen a few bikes that others have painted look like hell in a few months from blisters, peeling, blead through. Its best to have someone paint it that has painted bikes before, and you have seen there work, i would look at the older work that they have done. That will tell you the longevity of it.

i also used HOK colors on mine and it also blistered but only in one spot which is the lower fairing hole. I was told that i need a to wrap my pipes and maybe a heat sheild. The painter has done alot of work for me and this is the only time i have ever had the problem.

ditto on all the same...right side fairing hole right by the headers blistered up bad and chipped, so repainted and prepped right and almost started again, but i grabbed some heat shield and that put a stop to it....now to get vents and cover up that heatshield

Its odd that I've never seen this on a stock paint job, but I have on bad aftermarket jobs? Things that make you go hmmmm..............

it's funny.. after it peeled the first time i wrapped the pipes, and it just did the same thing. i'm going to have to invest in some heat shielding, but thats not going to stop the blistering on the lower vent holes. the body shop just needs to admit to thier poor prep work and do it right this time. thanks to everyone for your input! i'll add some pics and when this all gets resolved, hopefully this thread can help others!

You can do really great prep work and use a cheaper paint (not the cheapest) and get some real good looking results and longevity with these results.

You can use the most expensive paint of the highest quality and do poor prep work and the end result will look like crap, and the longevity will be next to 0.

Back