Harleys have a place in the world

Some of us do not understand why they choose to ride the way they do or what they ride. Some of them do not understand why we choose to ride the way we do or what we ride. Does it really matter?? Is either side going to change?? Ride your ride and enjoy it. Let others do the same!

Agreed. I stay quiet an let people ride there ride how they like really none of my business so I stay quiet an let them enjoy there ride how ever they like. But when it's one my friends or family going squid, riding with me they get to hear me, but they are adults so after the ranting we go an enjoy the group ride.

If the question is to gear up or not to gear up. I work at a busy Hospital. Gear up.

Spend some time in a busy ER to help you with your decision, or you could follow Pat Hahn's advise in Ride Hard Ride Smart....Get in the back of a pickup going down the highway at speed, and consider jumping out on the highway with what you wear to ride your motorcycle. Just some thoughts.........:thumbsup:

Gear up! Please riders... It may just help you one day.. Better safe, then sorry...:banghead:.... That was really interesting to read about.. :bowdown:

Its the same crap that alot of guys sling- snide coments when ever some ask about running wheelie bars at the track! I run a bar at the track, just spent two hours changing out the mono shock to the solid strut, putting the bars back on and setting the links, going on vaction and i plan on running hard. want to try me off the line? 16/44 and i leave hammer down! 6.26/112 and I'm 245lbs suited up. Some guys just cant let other people be them selves. and those cats usually follow the popular trends because there to week to do there own thing. Me i dont care what you ride, you make the payment. So screw all the nay sayers, If you like it, ride it!

Quote: "Friends have had their necks broken by the helmets that they were forced to wear.
Suffice it to say that I am not looking forward to spending what's left of my life in a wheelchair as a result of some Bureaucrat's desire to "save my life"."

What people have had thier neck broke from wearing a helmet ?? And what would have been the result if thier head had hit the ground hard enough to do that without a helmet ?? Oh yea no broken neck right ?:whistle:

Its the same crap that alot of guys sling- snide coments when ever some ask about running wheelie bars at the track! I run a bar at the track, just spent two hours changing out the mono shock to the solid strut, putting the bars back on and setting the links, going on vaction and i plan on running hard. want to try me off the line? 16/44 and i leave hammer down! 6.26/112 and I'm 245lbs suited up. Some guys just cant let other people be them selves. and those cats usually follow the popular trends because there to week to do there own thing. Me i dont care what you ride, you make the payment. So screw all the nay sayers, If you like it, ride it!

So i suppose you ride wheelie bars b/c its "your thing" and b/c i dont i'm a follower. You ARE the reason people say "anybody can grip it and rip it"
Its a motorcycle and has 2 (count em 2) wheels for a reason.
6.26 isnt that impressive BTW.:thumbsup:

Oh my goodness, DragonBusa, you making ready your bike for the drags, wheelie bar/struts, etc. has absolutely NOTHING to do with the lack of body protection on some bikers on the street! Unless your point is, "I can ride naked if I want to, it's the USA", which is a loose conection at best, I have no idea what your angry post is about. Raydog
(ps "there" refers to a location, "their" indicates person or persons)

I believe that riders CAN be educated, informed, and influenced by other riders and I think that ATGATT is a very positive message for riders of any group whether its Harleys, scooters or sportbikes. With HD's I think it is all about image and I think that there are a lot of newbies in this group....folks hitting mid life who have always wanted to walk (or ride) on the wild side and they finally have a chance to do it because of extra cash or whatever. With sportbikes I usually only see the really young (and new) riders cruising around in shorts and t's as I think they apply the concept of them being invincible to many parts of their lives, not just riding. The point here is the middle age crew should know better and I think they can be influenced by other riders either through forum threads or out on the street. The sportbike kids....not so much. Keep on preaching the gospel and it will sink in and hopefully save some rash or worse.:thumbsup:

I believe that riders CAN be educated, informed, and influenced by other riders and I think that ATGATT is a very positive message for riders of any group whether its Harleys, scooters or sportbikes. With HD's I think it is all about image and I think that there are a lot of newbies in this group....folks hitting mid life who have always wanted to walk (or ride) on the wild side and they finally have a chance to do it because of extra cash or whatever. With sportbikes I usually only see the really young (and new) riders cruising around in shorts and t's as I think they apply the concept of them being invincible to many parts of their lives, not just riding. The point here is the middle age crew should know better and I think they can be influenced by other riders either through forum threads or out on the street. The sportbike kids....not so much. Keep on preaching the gospel and it will sink in and hopefully save some rash or worse.:thumbsup:

Well said, thanks for puting it in a good, clear context! Raydog

Last summer was the summer of scooters with the gas prices driving the trend. Lot's of Newbys including a fair number of professional women riding the little things around this area. Interesting point, very few wore any sort of protection. Those tiny tires and little exhaust pipes can lead a person into thinking warm and fuzzy thoughts,.....Yet the four ton pickups and SUVs loom.

I did get spanked by one of these "little scooters" at an intersection by a thick glasses wearing youth with his collar up and no gear, kinda surprised me,,, things are quick for the first 50 feet:)

On all my sport bikes I ride with the appropriate gear except for pants, don't have any leather pants yet. However when I get on the M109R, for some reason, I don the half-helmet with the Dainese balaclava. Hmmm, not good, I know.

"Friends have had their necks broken by the helmets that they were forced to wear.
Suffice it to say that I am not looking forward to spending what's left of my life in a wheelchair as a result of some Bureaucrat's desire to "save my life"."
...that statement holds about as much water as the argument that seat belts trap people in vehicles and cause deaths, hence the reason some peeps still refuse to wear them. We all take a risk whenever we let the clutch out on these bikes (some moreso than others), and we all in turn have to take responsibility for our own safety. Yes, there are countless hours of videos available on the internet which show what can happen when adequate protection isn't worn. But in the end it still comes down to individual choice (regardless of how stupid a given choice may/may not seem to others). Just make sure that regardless of those around you, you always ride in YOUR OWN safety zone, which includes not only gear choices, but pace/style of riding as well. Not only will you be enjoying riding your own bike, but hopefully you will be setting a positive example to your fellow motorists.

D

thanks for the correction, spellings never been my strenth. not an angry post i just think it sucks when you do whats good for you and some one else wants to put you down for it. so dropbusa, empress me, what was your last 1/8ml time? I worked dam hard for that 6.26. if you can beat it,you have my:bowdown:

Tell ya what. I agree and feel EXACTLY how you feel, Raydog! Not only do I have a 2005 modded Hayabusa, I own a 2004 modded Harley Softail Deuce (not made anymore). I ride with my full helmet and jacket. Its a completely different feel compared to my preferred performance bike but still alot of fun to ride. Its these no helmet, cigarette and coffee drinkin w/ alcohol chaser bad breath, no teeth, old school gangster, machismo mongrels that don't accept other riders (like sport bikers and yuppie harley buyers) that give Harley a bad name. Not the Bike, in my opinion! HOWEVER! Do you know how many sport bikers I pass when I'm riding my Harley that really don't even sign back (when I greet them) and only have negative comments? TONS! So the sword swings both ways, in my opinion. The only way to change this is for all of us to change our attitude so masses weigh heavily, the more stubborn then follow. My 2 cents.

I WAS ONCE TOLD THEY DON'T GO FAST ENOUGH TO WEAR SAFETY GEAR :rofl:PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE , TO EACH HIS OWN .ATLEAST THEY'RE ON TWO WHEELS AND ENJOYING . BIKING IN GENERAL IS A STATE OF MIND ANYWAY .SAFETY IS MY MAIN CONCERN BECAUSE I AM ON A BUSA AND MY RIGHT HAND IS'NT THAT SMART .I TRY BUT I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF . WHAT TO DO ?????:whistle:
Maybe I'm the only one in the world that feels this way but today at a long stoplight (I'm in my truck) an all black new Harley Davidson pulls up. It was one of those $25k Screemin Eagle Road Kings, low front windshield, all chrome, polish and shiny. I was really admiring how handsome a bike it really is.....then I had a revelation....why do I have this minor mental "problem" with the Harley culture? I started looking at the owner and noticed he was wearing a tank top, leather vest and no gloves, no eye protection, long chain hanging from belt and the most incredibly stupid looking and inadequate skull cap helmet I've ever seen!
I realized I really don't have a problem with Harley Davidsons! I went for a ride in the mountains one time with Tim of Pashnit fame, he rode a test bike (same type black shiny Harley bagger) THE DIFFERENCE WAS it was Tim riding it....with full leathers and real helmet....he and the Harley looked great AND we were having a great time in the twisties!
So, where am I going with this? I know there are some really nice people out there that ride Harleys, I occasionally ride with some of them, I also know that there are some unfriendly bikers that are angry, unfriendly to other motorcyclists that occupy other parts of the sport, and think that to know Harleys-is to know the whole sport. They are light years away from my personal values. My problem is with a motorcycle culture that substitutes machismo for quality safety gear, and rides from bar to bar for the next beer.....there, I said it and I doubt I'll ever change. Raydog

thanks for the correction, spellings never been my strenth. not an angry post i just think it sucks when you do whats good for you and some one else wants to put you down for it. so dropbusa, empress me, what was your last 1/8ml time? I worked dam hard for that 6.26. if you can beat it,you have my:bowdown:

Perhaps it could be b/c we ride diff engines. (im guessing) you ride stock with bars..

I'm pushing around 390ish.... Different strokes for different folks. But dont bust my balls b/c i dont ride bars.

tell those idiots thats bust yours that ill run them. But i run grudge an im lookin for CASH!!!

I always teased the Harley guys in the past but unfortunately lost a friend earlier this month on one when a truck turned head on into us. I'll never talk crap about them again because that 800lb. bike stopped the truck and saved my life on the BUSA....

It's not about what you ride but how you ride it and your attitude toward others...

Back