Hands falling asleep

carlsbadbusa

BANNED BY MC MUSTANG
Donating Member
Registered
Well, dont know how many of yall experiencing this, I know all of us have at some point, but for me its getting worse, went for a quick trip this morning, not even 10 minutes my throttle hand more than my left hand was completely numb, I got the HEAVY throttlemiesters, barely put any weight on the bars and dont have a death grip, it's getting annoying, specially since i'm ALWAYS in the twisties, this is no bueno. Any suggestions? My gloves are not tight, Im am going to try to find a new set with a bit more padding to see if it helps with the vibrations, the bike is fine, does vibrate in the bars just like every other busa, and much less than my 2000...don't know what else, maybe my hand is screwed up or the vibes are making it worse???????

:banghead:

Go to your Dcotor and get tested for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
I had it and got it fixed and no more problem.

lighten up on your grip, check that you are not using the handlebars to hold your self up.. (transfer that load to you mid section).. also make sure your wrists are "straight"

might take some time to get used to this stuff but it helped me..

(and do have carpal tunnel)

Have you ridden this same bike before with the same ergos and not had this issue? In other words, has the problem just begun with all else being equal? If so, you might want to check with your doctor. Maybe you've got something other than your riding going on.

I was coming off a Harley commuter when I got the Busa and had some similar issues at first. I added Heli bars, a Genmar riser, Throttlemeister, and learned to keep my stomach muscles somewhat tight to take the weight off the bars and the strain off my wrists. You mentioned you're not putting much weight on your wrists, so maybe it would be worthwhile to check things out with your doc...

Like i mentioned above, same ergoes, no death grip and weight off the bars....hell, first gen vibrate worst, never happened like this, Im gonna change the grips, always use gell grips but for some reason havent changed them ??????, anyone recommend any others?? Im really inclining on the Carpal Tunnel thing now that you mentioned it.....hell its 30% more on my va claim!:laugh:

quick check if you may have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, PHALEN'S TEST
- Phalen's Test in Carpal Tunnel Syndrome[/url]

Also look up TINNEL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have had the same problem for years. Was a lot worse on the R1, Living with it ,What Randy said above works, Went to the Doc and yes i have the tunnel thing, hav'nt found the time for 2 month lay out yet Sometime down the road I will have this fixed

You my want to look at adding some insulation into you handle bars to help with the vibration. You and also, look at raising you bars 1 inch to help as well.

The amount of numbness you are experiencing is excessive. My guess is there is an underlying medical issue, like Carpel Tunnel mentioned above. See your doctor.

If that comes out clean, some additional suggestions.

1. make sure your wrists are straight when cruising, so they are not "kinked" and cutting off blood flow.

2. change your hand position a lot

3. take more body weight with your legs and back

The amount of numbness you are experiencing is excessive. My guess is there is an underlying medical issue, like Carpel Tunnel mentioned above. See your doctor.

If that comes out clean, some additional suggestions.

1. make sure your wrists are straight when cruising, so they are not "kinked" and cutting off blood flow.

2. change your hand position a lot

3. take more body weight with your legs and back

Those are the three points I was going to make. Good on ya, J!

Point number three is the biggest point that most sportbike riders fail to recognize. They think that leaning into this hard point position onto your bar ends is "them being and looking like a MotoGP rider".

Expounded - use your abdominal muscles to ride with. If you watch a professional rider, and let's take Ben Spies as an example; his nick name is 'Elbows'. He rides with his elbows bent and is always shifting in his seat, as are others.

Trying thinking like you have a cushion of air under your arse and you will ride differently.

The fatigued wrists will haunt the best of the best. Just change up and rest.

Another way, and you may have seen other riders doing this - when you feel stinging or burning in your wrists, slap or bang them on your leg or other hand to get the circulation back into them. Strange sounding, I know, but it works.

My right hand used to bother me about 20 minutes into my 35 mile commute(mostly e-way). The problem just about completely went away after trying the Pro-Grip 719's. I'm sold! :beerchug:

0000_Pro_Grip_719_RVGS_Open_End_Gel_Grip.jpg

I put some new progrips I had lying around, see what theyll do tomorrow, also going to the doc to see, my riding pos is as optimal as i can get so im positive its not that....I already try when cruising and rest the hands for a bit but cant do that in the middle of a fast sweeper, anyways..thanks for the advise guys...I had no idea about the carpal tunnel but judging from the links and the "test" I did at home I am having some issues in my hand, hopefully nothing major.

I found my gloves were a big issue. I had a pair of gloves that had some gel padding for the palms. I think it was directing pressure up on the main vein that runs through the thick portions of your hand. I got diffrent gloves and that went a long way to helping.

That and I did what Mr Bogus suggested.

Wish I would have done it befor the Genmar handle bar risers. They did nothing for the problem.

Last edited:
Like i mentioned above, same ergoes, no death grip and weight off the bars....hell, first gen vibrate worst, never happened like this, Im gonna change the grips, always use gell grips but for some reason havent changed them ??????, anyone recommend any others?? Im really inclining on the Carpal Tunnel thing now that you mentioned it.....hell its 30% more on my va claim!:laugh:

I had to look it up if the new grips don't help keep this in mind. :thumbsup:

What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a painful progressive condition caused by compression of a key nerve in the wrist. It occurs when the median nerve, which runs from the forearm into the hand, becomes pressed or squeezed at the wrist. Symptoms usually start gradually, with pain, weakness, or numbness in the hand and wrist, radiating up the arm. As symptoms worsen, people might feel tingling during the day, and decreased grip strength may make it difficult to form a fist, grasp small objects, or perform other manual tasks. In some cases no direct cause of the syndrome can be identified. Most likely the disorder is due to a congenital predisposition - the carpal tunnel is simply smaller in some people than in others. However, the risk of developing carpal tunnel syndrome is especially common in those performing assembly line work.

Is there any treatment?

Initial treatment generally involves resting the affected hand and wrist for at least 2 weeks, avoiding activities that may worsen symptoms, and immobilizing the wrist in a splint to avoid further damage from twisting or bending. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and other nonprescription pain relievers, may ease pain. Cool (ice) packs and prednisone (taken by mouth) or lidocaine (injected directly into the wrist) can relieve swelling and pressure on the median nerve and provide immediate, temporary relief.
What is the prognosis?

Recurrence of carpal tunnel syndrome following treatment is rare. The majority of patients recover completely. To prevent workplace-related carpal tunnel syndrome, workers can do on-the-job conditioning, perform stretching exercises, take frequent rest breaks, wear splints to keep wrists straight, and use correct posture and wrist position. Wearing fingerless gloves can help keep hands warm and flexible.
What research is being done?

The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) conducts research on nerve-related conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome in its laboratories at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and also supports research through grants to major medical institutions across the country. Current studies include several randomized clinical trials to evaluate the effectiveness of educational interventions in reducing the incidence of carpal tunnel syndrome. Another clinical study is collecting data about carpal tunnel syndrome among construction apprentices to better understand specific work factors associated with the disorder and develop strategies to prevent its occurrence among construction and other workers. Scientists are also investigating the use of alternative therapies, such as acupuncture, to prevent and treat this disorder.

I put some new progrips I had lying around, see what theyll do tomorrow, also going to the doc to see, my riding pos is as optimal as i can get so im positive its not that....I already try when cruising and rest the hands for a bit but cant do that in the middle of a fast sweeper, anyways..thanks for the advise guys...I had no idea about the carpal tunnel but judging from the links and the "test" I did at home I am having some issues in my hand, hopefully nothing major.

It's possible just not recommended by the average joe :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

elbow.jpg

Last edited:
My hands and wrist would always cause problems for me after about three hours on the busa. Just mostly lived with... don't have CTS. I'm 5'8 and I believe hand issues are part and parcel of riding a sport bikes for me - I think for me - because of shorter arms I end up leaning forward slightly more and hence put more weight on the hands. Short, tall, fat, skinny, strong, weak - all riders face problems - legs cramped, neck hurts, back hurts, vibrations putting feet to sleep, butts numb etc.

Thats why it is such an epiphany when you find a bike that fits you like a glove and has all day comfort and fun.

I now own a B-king and don't fight hand and wrist numbness and fatigue like I use to... and it's just as fun!

Have you ridden cruisers? Ape hangers will definately get the weight off your wrist and hands...

I've got the same issue. Had it on the HD also, I've learned how to make it go away rather quickly, but it always comes back. I had the Kury Iso grips on the HD and they helped some, I've got them on the Busa also. Was to a doctor in 2007, said I had severe CTS in the right hand. Most likely it's your issue also, like most others said. If you get both wrists operated on at the same time, the downtime is ~6 weeks. Wont be able to wipe your own arse for the first week...
I'd like to have it done, cant afford to take the pay hit to be on short term disability...

Last edited:
Back