Hand position on the Busa

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
OK, so after reading some threads around here on hand position on Sportbikes / Busa, I've tried a few things and need some input.

Im switching my old grip, to a new grip on the Busa. Im trying to cover the clutch / Brake lever with 2 fingers (Index and middle). Im getting less hand fatigue, and feel myself using my stomach and back muscles much more, which is great, and my hands are feeling very little stress. Im tring to keep my arms down, and bent, but still catching myself tensing up a little, and heres why I think.

When I use the clutch/ brake with 2 fingers, Im finding Im only able to close either handle about half way before the lever hits my pinky & forefinger. Im not getting a full pull on the levers. This is not natural for me as Im use to pulling the levers all the way closed. Is this normal to only pull the levers half way while riding with the 2-finger-covering the lever position? The clutch seems to be fully engaging, but it just feels odd.

Today while I was watching the MOTOGP (Cool to be back in the States) I observed many of the pros not using the 2 finger cover position while riding. Yah, I seen it a few times, but not as much as I see in magazines. Is there a proper time to use this hand position? And any rule of thumb on adjusting the control location on the bike. Maybe Im stretching too much, maybe Im putting my thumb too far to the inside of the grip, maybe it's all in my head and just not use to this style of gripping the handlebar controls. Any informative input appreciated, as Im taking this very serious, and want to ride properly / done with the days of riding sloppy with this much power in the Busa.

Don't use the clutch!
smile.gif

If your good you can even down shift at the proper speeds but even done right it maybe a little more stress on the tranny.
wink.gif

link doesnt work...can you re-link or tell me what I should read on there?
rock.gif

Clutchless shifting makes for a smoother ride too...and it doesn't harm your bike in any way, actually. [/QUOTE]

rock.gif
O'K.  I guess throwing it in reverse while still going foward wont hurt eithier, huh  
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121016053 -->

It's a LOT easier to keep your arms relaxed when at speed on the Busa. The wind helps support your upper body. At low speeds, your muscles are doing all of the work.

My clutch pulls against my two outer fingers when pulled in, but it's enough travel to fully disengage it. The adjustment wheels make a big difference. Just pull the handles outward to release the spring tension, and then turn the dials to a lower number setting. Might be a higher number...I can't remember, but you'll figure it out pretty quick.

rock.gif

If you get hand fatigue from shifting and braking...particularly the top of the hands...rotate your levers down a bit do you don't have to bring your fingers "up" to go over the levers.

I have mine rotated about as far down as they will go...so I just stick my fingers straight out to have the tips over the edge of the levers.
wink.gif

Today while I was watching the MOTOGP (Cool to be back in the States) I observed many of the pros not using the 2 finger cover position while riding. Yah, I seen it a few times, but not as much as I see in magazines.
Keep in mind that when racing on a track they know their braking points and don't really have to worry a whole lot about a dog, deer, or cage coming out in front of them. They can go without covering the controls with two fingers and just grab 'em when they know they need them. On the street there are just too many hazards that can, and WILL come out on you. It's ALWAYS a good idea to cover the controls with AT LEAST one finger, preferably two to reduce your reaction time between recognizing the hazard and reacting with the brakes. Every foot counts when you're rolling along and need to panic stop.

So yeah, covering the controls is more of a street thing and meant to reduce reaction time to dangers. That's why you won't see the racers do it a lot.
wink.gif

You can also check to see of anyone makes "shorty" levers for the busa. I bought a set for my 10 and just got a set for the 636. They make two finger operation possible without hittin' your fingers with the levers. That in turn allows you to adjust the levers closer to the bars for reach/fit rather than having to move your outside fingers from the grip before pulling the levers in closer to the grips if you've got them adjusted close with long levers.

Here are a few pics of the Pazzo Racing shorties I just put on the 636...

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

You can also check to see of anyone makes "shorty" levers for the busa.
I do... toss the bike around, the ends break off, grind 'em down and round the edjes...... works great!
LOL!
laugh.gif
Cheaper in one aspect, I guess... but the associated parts damage using your method probably negates any savings as compared to just buying a set of Pazzo sticks.
biggrin.gif
as usual, your photos are beyond nice.

You can also check to see of anyone makes "shorty" levers for the busa.
I do... toss the bike around, the ends break off, grind 'em down and round the edjes...... works great!
LOL!
laugh.gif
Cheaper in one aspect, I guess... but the associated parts damage using your method probably negates any savings as compared to just buying a set of Pazzo sticks.
biggrin.gif
as usual, your photos are beyond nice.
Thanks.
wink.gif

Are there shorties out there for the Busa? I want some!!!

Anyway, I switched to a two and two grip when i got the Busa as well... Hell I gotta hang on somehow right?

Covering the break leaver with two fingers is a good habit... but, its not like you dunno how to ride a bike if you dont cover your break with your two fingers!!

With all these years of riding I have never coverd the break... i've have been in quite a few situations where i have been suddenly confronted with cycalists, cows, dogs .... potholes when im riding fast, but never felt that my reaction time was slow cause i had not got the brake covered!!

...and let me tell you, I live in India... if you can ride fast here... you can ride fast anywhere in the universe. No county can have a traffic and road condition as bad as ours
laugh.gif

To sum it up id say... each to his own!! Some people feel they could respond better with two fingers on the break... ans some people dont prefer to cover the break!! Its all a matter of choice and convinence... do what make you feel comfortable and confidant!!

smile.gif

Covering the break leaver with two fingers is a good habit... but, its not like you dunno how to ride a bike if you dont cover your break with your two fingers!!

With all these years of riding I have never coverd the break... i've have been in quite a few situations where i have been suddenly confronted with cycalists, cows, dogs .... potholes when im riding fast, but never felt that my reaction time was slow cause i had not got the brake covered!!

...and let me tell you, I live in India... if you can ride fast here... you can ride fast anywhere in the universe. No county can have a traffic and road condition as bad as ours
laugh.gif

To sum it up id say... each to his own!! Some people feel they could respond better with two fingers on the break... ans some people dont prefer to cover the break!! Its all a matter of choice and convinence... do what make you feel comfortable and confidant!!

smile.gif
You can bet that your reaction is slower than if you covered the brake though, even if it has been quick enough so far to save your ass...
wink.gif
Facts are facts. Fingers on the lever = faster reaction. Travelling at high speeds you can cover a LOT of ground in the fraction of a second between recognizing a hazard and getting your fingers to the lever. Also, in a panic situation you're probably less likely to smash the lever if your fingers already have contact with the lever and know where it is than if you have to grab for it...

I maintain that while you don't HAVE to cover the levers, it IS a good idea on the street whether you're riding in India or Atlanta, Georgia USA...
wink.gif

wink.gif

Back