Half of Americans pay NO income tax

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
And how long can our country survive like this?

Half of Americans pay no federal income tax - Tax Tactics - msnbc.com

I wonder what percentage of those Americans who pay NO income tax, also get a 'cash refund' aka 'handout'?

The 'takers' are going to overwhelm the 'givers'.....One quote "The bottom 40 percent, on average, make a profit from the federal income tax, meaning they get more money in tax credits than they would otherwise owe in taxes. For those people, the government sends them a payment." :rant::banghead:

I would be curious how many of the people included in the statistic are those who were deployed to combat areas where thier pay is tax exempt? I just wonder if this is a statistic designed to be published as part of some other agenda. Reading the MSN article, I also found interest in the tax cuts and credits that have been granted/expanded...

An interesting topic none the less.

I would be curious how many of the people included in the statistic are those who were deployed to combat areas where thier pay is tax exempt? I just wonder if this is a statistic designed to be published as part of some other agenda. Reading the MSN article, I also found interest in the tax cuts and credits that have been granted/expanded...

An interesting topic none the less.

Might change the output a little, but not too much, given the population size vs. the actually small percentage of taxpayers serving in the 'zone'....MSNBC is not known as a 'conservative news outlet', but I'm sure FOX will pick it up soon enough.

Not paying any taxes because of exemptions is one thing, but getting a 'refund check" when there were no taxes paid with which to get a 'refund' is another...

Last edited:
That is 47% of "Employed" Americans dont pay?

By my numbers.....they say we have about a ~10% unemployment rate. The numbers are 6.3 million unemployed workers. So 6.3 x 10 = 63 million worker pool out of 309,027,000 people in the United States.

309,027,000 - 63,000,000 /309,027,000 = 79.6% of people in the US do not work.

So 20% of our US population work and 47% of those dont pay income taxes.

:cheerleader:

Listen with my pitiful self-employed income which came in as a loss I paid zero and gaining back the bene's from the kids I got back a little.
Not a handout just the way it worked out this yr.
I have also paid large figures in yrs I gained so to me its fair.

Once the numbers that pay no taxes reach the point they can vote themselves entitlements it's a downhill slide to becoming a nation like France!

Listen with my pitiful self-employed income which came in as a loss I paid zero and gaining back the bene's from the kids I got back a little.

I get you Saiid; while I paid less this year than I've paid in a long time as my income fell, I've been paying (to include estimated) for many many years. I don't mind paying my fair share, but the definition of 'fair' is getting worse. I really hate to see what it's going to be in the coming decade...

Once the numbers that pay no taxes reach the point they can vote themselves entitlements it's a downhill slide to becoming a nation like France!

I think we are just about there SteveO....

I get you Saiid; while I paid less this year than I've paid in a long time as my income fell, I've been paying (to include estimated) for many many years. I don't mind paying my fair share, but the definition of 'fair' is getting worse. I really hate to see what it's going to be in the coming decade...

Too many people now for them to catch it all for sure.
Many do take advantage of it.
SoFla is famous for cash under the table jobs, all the while they are on unemployment and then at the end of the yr magically they get $ back ?

I aint so lucky !

we owed the gov't this year, got money back last year. kinda makes you wonder how it all works.

wheres the article, i cant see it. that link to me to a page with a bunch of stuff and couldnt find it in there.

without reading it, is it counting the entire population? this year was my wifes first year to file taxes. not because she was taking handouts, because she was raising my son and didnt need to work. now she works cause hes in school.

really sounds like a screwy pole.

personally i paid in more this year than ever before. with my taxable income only i only made 1k more than last year.

Pffft...

I can promise you I am NOT in that 47%

I am a..... 53 percenter!

Yall are welcome!

You are employed and there is no problem with you getting money back. I have a problem with the people that have no job, get all kinds of government assistance, a #hit load of kids, and get money back at the end of the year for taxes and have a bigger tv then me!

here we go again......

we talked about this before, its not new. for some reason people don't mind unfair tax structures....until it effects them. tax the wealthy, and when the Gov. spends all that money...we can tax the upper income levels more, and more...

on this board there is lots of talk about responsability, when it come to other things....

but why do the people that use the most services pay the least in taxes?

most families do not pay enough in taxes to pay for thier children education for year, yet they get tax credits....

this is why there is so much waste in GOV. because nobody is watching where they spend the money...Why? because most peopl don't pay taxes, they really don't care because its not thier money anyways.

i get money back every yr! two kids and the wife dont work so , i dont know what to say its a nice bonus check , being that they took ours a way at work !

income is between 85-100k a yr, dep on overtime

i think what would help in some cases is if they made people take drug test to get govn assistance ! yes if i have to piss in a cup to go to work you should be able to piss in one to get a free check !

and yes the govn doesnt know who or wher to spend money look at the ungodly amount of money they spent ont he cences this yr it was what in the billions. i am all for the cences but come on that is just dumb! didnt hey have a superboal add this yr !

Last edited:
You are employed and there is no problem with you getting money back. I have a problem with the people that have no job, get all kinds of government assistance, a #hit load of kids, and get money back at the end of the year for taxes and have a bigger tv then me!

Well sorry then..
Would you be happy if I told you my TV is smaller than yours...
:rofl:

i get money back every yr! two kids and the wife dont work so , i dont know what to say its a nice bonus check , being that they took ours a way at work !

A modification to your W-4 would prevent the government from keeping your money interest free all year long.

Back