Had a great ride in central ohio today until....

thebbbusa

Donating Member
Registered
I met up with Rhythym on this fine and glorious afternoon in the 90's in Central Ohio.  It's about 3:30 we fill up and make a B-line straight for Southwestern Ohio in search of our own Deals Gap.

We head way out east on I-70, about 96 miles and find Highway 800.  800 is a fine road with plenty of twists and turns, so we ride that to Route 26 about 33 miles.  Now it's time to decide.  Do we venture on to Route 26 or stay with ol' familiar Highway 800.  Rhythym has a sudden moment of clarity and says he remembers Route 26 having more turns on the map.  Route 26 it is.

This is a rather scenic ride, we got a couple pics, through the Wayne National Forest.  This is hill country, river country.  Lots of great turns and sweepers on this road.  About a half hour into this ride, both bikes read low fuel.  Considering this literally is the middle of no where, we press on.  We baby the bikes all the way down (still having fun) to Marietta, OH which by way of Route 26 was 55 miles of twists and turns!!!  Our bikes were on fumes when we finally stopped at the station.  Rhythym squeezed in over 5 gallons, and I 4.7 gallons!

We chit chat there for a few minutes, then decide to head home.  We plan to head up I-77 North to I-70 West.  We blaze up the entrance ramp, grabbing gears. First, then second, I grab third and let all those horse go!  Ty's right there, right by my side.  I grab a handful of fourth and we're off.  During this episode of 'fun' I feel something hit my left leg.  What could that have been?.  I wind out fourth gear and go for fifth.  What's this?  WTF?  Where did my clutch handle go?  In that split second, Ty goes screaming past.  Bewildered, I press on and catch up to Ty to show him the bad news.  I've got no clutch handle, and I am 145 miles from home!

What should I do...should I go back and look for the handle?  Can't do that, cause I'm moving now, if I stop, I'll stall.

We press on to my house.  A short hour and a half later, we get off the freeway in Westervile.  I speed shift down through the gears, slowing rolling to each red light, it hopes that I won't have to stop.  Using this method, I made it through 5 lights!  The sixth light was a little tricky...was gonna turn left, but the light held too long...gonna stall...go right instead.  Finally, we make it my subdivision...home free.

Bike's in the garage now, nice and safe...without her beloved clutch lever.

All in all it was a great ride!  Maybe Ty will see this thread and post a few pics.

Apparently the screw that holds the lever on worked it's way loose and away went the lever.

There have been many discussions on speedshifting on this site.  I for one am so thankful I knew how to do it, up and down.  Otherwise, it'd turned out much different.

If you don't know how, go learn to shift without the clutch...you never know, it might just save your a$$.  How about that, 320+ mile trip, and almost half without a clutch!

Good night!

Edit:  Added Ty's pics:

BBBUSAandRhythmRoute26Waynesnati-1.jpg

DSC03173.jpg

DSC03178.jpg

And before you scorn me, yes, I had serious gear on under that shirt.  I had my hot weather armour on under it.

<!--EDIT|thebbbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153105222 -->

Glad you made it home safely! Sorry about the clutch handle!

BRAVO!! Hell yes that is what I am talking about. Good Job, sorry about the clutch handle, was it stock or aftermarket?

Don

And dont forget the half azz video of you catching up because I forgot to clear up some memory on the camera.    

<marquee><span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>TO BE CONTINUED  
super.gif

super.gif
 </span></span></marquee>

<embed width="352" height="308" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://vidmg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Rhythm_1/MOV03179.flv"></embed>

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153106028 -->

super.gif

SUCKA!!! Yall should have waiting until I got up there. But its cool. I'll catcha on the next run. We just need to make sure we have some extra clutch levers. LOL

SUCKA!!!  Yall should have waiting until I got up there.  But its cool.  I'll catcha on the next run.  We just need to make sure we have some extra clutch levers. LOL
Yeah, thats what he gets for laughing when I noticed my prototype cruise control barend had fallen off somewhere on our way to Rt 800.  But it turns out I had the last laugh.  
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153136630 -->

Damn, how did you get those tennis shoes on over your riding boots? You must have some skinny ass legs to get those jeans over your serious gear leather pants?
tounge.gif

Spotted that screw backing out when I was bringing the new bike home (300 miles). Tightened it twice with a pocket knife on the way. Once I got to the barn I installed it with lock tight on the threads then added a jam nut on the bottom side.

If memory serves the screw has a shoulder on it so you will need the screw & a lever.

Sounds like a great ride... sorry bout the clutch lever, but good job not stopping all the way back.
smile.gif

Sounds like a great ride and glad you made it without that clutch lever! Now go get that thing fixed!
biggrin.gif

Back