H2/H2R First Ride from Cycle World

Guy on another forum got invited to the new Supercharged Kwak H2 press launch.
He's ridden just about everything worth riding, he posted this.....

"Sorry folks, getting on a plane shortly to come home.
Its been a hectic 36 hours, but the very very short version is

The pre launch hype was justified
It really does handle
It goes like f#ck
It sounds amazing
People who were expecting a lardy one trick pony are going to have to dismiss it on looks now.
Price isnt even an argument as its the same as a panigale s."

Im suprised at the low tq numbers... first thinking the sc would have more then a 14r but then remembering its not a roots blower. But just under 100 for the h2 and 115 for the h2r.

Yeah, One guy who rode both said the numbers are very deceiving.
What it does on paper is very different to the way it actually produces it
and how aggressive and angry the whole package is.

The R spec would actually fail the noise tests to get onto many tracks and
can't be road registered so many questioned its point, but I do know there
is someone working already on a custom exhaust to get it track legal.

The street version isn't a mile away in peak performance from a race spec ZX10R
but the way it produces its power is (from two guys who have ridden it) very different.

Great to see something a little bit different, a little bit special in a quite conservative industry.

I wish someone would hurry up and put a datalogger on one for some accel numbers...

60-130
50-150
60-160
100-200 (if the H2 will even run 200)

:laugh:

(if the H2 will even run 200)

According to J-Mac who's ridden one in anger at the track and seen some of
the times recorded on its on-board logger, yes, and quite a bit more.

Wasn't 100% as planted as the R but recons it'll out run any mass production
bike available off a showroom floor.

Although I am a long time Kawasaki fan and they have always been at the forefront of performance (unlike Suzuki), I think this new bike is butt ugly, fly-by-wire belongs in a car, not on a bike, and the torque is not impressive at all. I can't wait to run into one out in the street - I just hope the fugliness doesn't crack my rear view mirrors when I blow by . . .:rofl:

wat happn to 230 hp from the standard version? so much for that wet dream so many kawi fans had.....:whistle: 200 hp is pretty standard on super bikes these days.

thats just lame and at $25k with a blower is pathetic! 98 ft. lbs. of tq. lmao.... even the H2r at 115 is laughable! but wat a steal at $50k.... smh

Unless that 98ft-lbs was from 1000 to the 10500 they say where peak reached im not impressed. How low is the tq the rest of the rev-band.

And they have the cheek to call a Busa ugly.....could have used Lego and come up with a cleaner looking bike.
Don't care how it goes...for the money a new busa with a turboor SC etc mod is cheaper...oh and i hate the sound of the kwak.

Several riders saw 300kph (186mph) past the pits at the Losail circuit.
I suggest you try that on a Hayabusa.

The old "I'll stick a turbo on my Busa" comment isn't relevant.
This is a production bike,
with quick shifter, modern suspension etc etc that can be bought over the counter.
Aimed at being a thug of a sports bike.

All the tests and reviews compare it with the ZX10R, new R1, etc,
outside of a Busa forum no one mentions the Busa as being competition.

It's more of a Nissan Skyline than a big rear wheel drive V8.
By all accounts it's very good at what it is,
thank goodness someone's idea of a new bike isn't new paint and stickers.

Maybe Suzuki should be having a good look,
and hand in its membership of "The Flat Earth Society"

It better be the best track bike out for the money but it sounds like its not even track legal (most tracks DBs levels) so its just a big waste of cash. When a company pours all its new development in a bike made for hp and speed and nothing else its going to come out on top. As far as comparing it to a busa that's apples to oranges. Comparing today's tech against 7 year old tech is a no brainer , but lets wait and see how many land speed records this thing gets and how comfortable it is on trips. I'm not cracking on Kawi and I believe Zuk needs to step up because the zx14 is a better bike for the class they are in now, which is a super Street bike. this thing is like comparing a F1 to a Porsche.

with quick shifter, modern suspension etc etc that can be bought over the counter.

Think about that H2 with a Yoshi Carbon exhaust and a retuned ECU (Possibly with some boost tweaking) and any other tuning tricks they come up with. I'll bet another 15 lbs minimum drops off with a proper exhaust. I'll bet it's not long before they really scream. Also, what's better, a bike that makes full torque from 7-12K RPM or a bike that gradually peaks at 10K RPM then falls off. From what the riders are saying that's the way the H2 pulls. Makes for more useable power over a broader RPM range.

The H2 and the Busa are far above my abilities as I am just a casual rider.

As for all those who say it's ugly, It's all a matter of taste. I personally think the BUSA and the H2 are gorgeous bikes for different reasons.

Not sure why anyone would expect an H2 or H2R to set land speed records or go touring?

Far from being a waste of cash, it's generated more interest and publicity for Kawasaki
than anything Suzuki has done since 1999 and they didn't wimp out like Suzuki did by
dropping the 'charger from the "Boost"-King.

Can't see how the H2 wouldn't be track legal as its road legal,
the not for road use full monty H2R will most likely end up in the likes of Jay Leno
collections but as I said its looking like there will be a pipe to drop the db limits.

What's as entertaining as Kawasaki's new bikes, are some of the comments folk make
trying to justify why there 15 year old designed bikes are better at going to the shops
or going in a straight line with aftermarket parts. I love it.

Love my Busa, a new one would be better value and more suitable for me than a H2 / H2R
but god bless Kawaski for doing something in the spirit of the original Z900 / two stroke H2
and not the usual baby steps from last years model.

Tony you know better than to question those in the know?:rofl:
They probably have already done numerous miles in EVERY aspect of riding this bike = ALL THE ANSWERS,:banghead: OR....
Or in simpler terms, this is way outside the normal MO and feel encumbered, POTENTIALLY THREATENED?:lol:
How can anyone have issues with unbridled performance in any form/package???? Cars, bikes etc..
Owned many brands,never a Kawi. Would be in my glory to ride/own this bike. For the people who can step up and buy it Awesome.
If I could afford it, I would not hesitate.:please:

and which class is this bike going to race in and be competitive in? well, since it can't race in any AMA class you think its gonna compete against Turbo bikes? lmao....! last time I checked a bike makn 280-290 hp to the wheels might compete against a stage 1 Turbo bike but thats about it so yes its LAME at $50k! and even more lame at $25k with 200 hp....:rofl:

but like you said it has a quick shifter right from the factory. so that shud make everyone run out and buy one....:whistle:

and no, its no nissan skyline either. its more like a V6 mustang someone threw a blower on....:poke:

As far as comparing it to a busa that's apples to oranges. Comparing today's tech against 7 year old tech is a no brainer

7 years old? I think that's being overly generous to suzuki. The gen 2 is a minor facelift.

Lets be real, this is 16 year old tech.

Kawasaki deserves a lot of credit for breaking the mold -again. Back when the first KZ1000 came out, I bought it - had to have the best bike out there at the time, and I thought that was it. I still have that bike - a 1977 KZ1000 - now a turbo, making 350 to the wheel on C16. When the Hayabusa first came out in 1999 and I saw one in person for the first time, I thought it was the ugliest bike I had ever seen in my life. Now I've got four of them, two are turbo. There are a lot of opinions being thrown around, which is great, everybody has one. And every body is entitled to theirs. Too bad there was a longshoreman's strike on the west coast that slowed shipments down a bit. In about two weeks, a good friend is hopefully picking up his H2 street version. He plans on bringing over to our dyno for a test spin. After that, he is planning on putting a pipe on it and getting his ecu de-restricted, at which time we will again dyno this bike. POWERHOUSE will report those findings and post graphs. Our dyno is not a "happy" dyno, and run conditions will be posted as well, along with SAE and uncorrected charts. I hope to be more impressed than I am right now . . .:whistle:

Back