guy with 1000hp camaro wants to race me

The ONLY way you are going to win is if he just lights up the tires. Having owned a camaro, a full street weight car will weigh ~3700lbs. You can get a turbo kit installed and tuned in a week
firedevil.gif

I agree with everyone else. If he can drive, and has the car reasonably set up for the power, you're gonna be hard pressed to woop him...I recommend taking out one of his tires.
thumb_up.gif

wow guess I should have checked my book... the 01 is a sled.. figured it would be the same as the 04-05 cars..

On any given night, we probably have 3 or 4 low 10/high 9 second camaros that run on far less power... Still going to be a big handful to take him out.. hope he can drive the thing..(for your sake) never even thought about him taking you out by losing control.... would be most ugly..

Well, I'm not an expert but someone putting 1000hp to the ground on pump gas is hard to believe. It can be done but not easily and is very expensive. I have had 2 Camaros in the 400hp range and I had some issues running pump gas but mine were not turbo, they were N/A. Back to the point, be careful!! You will be hard pressed to take him on a rolling punch if the car is setup right. Like the others have said, see if you can get him to run at a track instead of the street. Is his car setup for the strip or for top end? If it is for the strip, he will be hard pressed to break 160-170 i think. If he has highway gears, he might just walk you. As far as running without cans, I think you loose low end but gain a little on the top end. The experts here could tell you more I'm sure. Either way, I think running him for anything more then just fun and on a track would not be worth it.

IF you are 120LB's and have experience you will be close...say 9.7 at 144 for you and 9.3 at 153 for him.......Pass Time

a 1000hp camaro will be around the 9sec range at the strip, talking about perfect conditions here. Now if this race is at the track slap a 40hp shot of nitrous and you are more likely going to beat him or at least giving him a hard time.
firedevil.gif

I love my K8 Busa, but every one has to remember that they are not unbeatable. One lesson I have learned "some where there is always someone a little faster and a little quicker". This normally equates to a lot more money and time to play with toys.

No matter what post the results if you can.

wow guess I should have checked my book... the 01  is a sled..  figured it would be the same as the 04-05 cars..

On any given night, we probably have 3 or 4 low 10/high 9 second camaros that run on far less power... Still going to be a big handful to take him out..  hope he can drive the thing..(for your sake)  never even thought about him taking you out by losing control....  would be most ugly..
The last year for the 4th gen camaro was 02. There have been none produced since then. The 4th gen camaros with a hard top weigh in the 3450-3600lb range. Depending on options

He will beat you hands down. It takes about 1700hp in a car to beat a turbo busa. The 1000hp should beat anything up to about 280hp. The aerodynamics will beat a bike from 180mph up if they have the gearing for 200mph +

a guy a know is getting ready to get his car back and he swears its going to be a busa killer. its a 01 camero with a built motor and twin turbos. should be pushing around 1000hp on pump gas. he wants to run my bike bad from a roll. i kinda want to do it just to see how close it would be. anybody know if i stand a chance? i have a hard time seeing how a car can be faster then a busa but i guess it can with money.  so anybody got any tips on what to do before i run this guy? i have had my exaust cans off but i dont know if i loose power like that..if so i should prob put them back on but i dont wanna loose power if going canless helps at all.

is there any cheap tricks i can do to get a few more ponies out of this thing just in case? right now im all stock
Run him from a stop...unless he's a good driver with launch experience you should be able to leave reasonably hard and make him play the catch up game......if he can catch up at all. All the turbo guys want to do 80-100mph rolls because thats where they work the best. Don't play his game
winkold.gif
Tell him go from the dig like real men, or don't go at all
laugh.gif
When I'm raising stoplight hell, I don't ask the guy next to me if he wants to go roll on somewhere....I leave him at the light unless he can keep up
thumb_up.gif
cool.gif

a guy a know is getting ready to get his car back and he swears its going to be a busa killer. its a 01 camero with a built motor and twin turbos. should be pushing around 1000hp on pump gas. he wants to run my bike bad from a roll. i kinda want to do it just to see how close it would be. anybody know if i stand a chance? i have a hard time seeing how a car can be faster then a busa but i guess it can with money.  so anybody got any tips on what to do before i run this guy? i have had my exaust cans off but i dont know if i loose power like that..if so i should prob put them back on but i dont wanna loose power if going canless helps at all.

is there any cheap tricks i can do to get a few more ponies out of this thing just in case? right now im all stock
Run him from a stop...unless he's a good driver with launch experience you should be able to leave reasonably hard and make him play the catch up game......if he can catch up at all. All the turbo guys want to do 80-100mph rolls because thats where they work the best. Don't play his game  
winkold.gif
 Tell him go from the dig like real men, or don't go at all  
laugh.gif
 When I'm raising stoplight hell, I don't ask the guy next to me if he wants to go roll on somewhere....I leave him at the light unless he can keep up  
thumb_up.gif

cool.gif
+1

if he wont run from a standing start then at least lower the mph... say from 50 to 120. Put your cans back on and find a sprocket from someone. Practice your shifts and if you can add a little squirt. If he's really making >800hp you're gonna get smoked if you race his race. Start your race in the lowest gear but be above 7k rpm so you can hit your power band.

For a 3500 pound car to hit 150 mph in the 1/4 mile it takes 922 hp. You might have a chance. I say get a sprocket and practice.
Besides you get the fun of racing
firedevil.gif
win or lose.
If really worried about it then add a little nos and go for the kill.
guns.gif
beerchug.gif

Well, I'm not an expert but someone putting 1000hp to the ground on pump gas is hard to believe.  It can be done but not easily and is very expensive.  I have had 2 Camaros in  the 400hp range and I had some issues running pump gas but mine were not turbo, they were N/A.  Back to the point, be careful!!  You will be hard pressed to take him on a rolling punch if the car is setup right.  Like the others have said, see if you can get him to run at a track instead of the street.  Is his car setup for the strip or for top end?  If it is for the strip, he will be hard pressed to break 160-170 i think. If he has highway gears, he might just walk you. As far as running without cans, I think you loose low end but gain a little on the top end.  The experts here could tell you more I'm sure.  Either way, I think running him for anything more then just fun and on a track would not be worth it.
It's very easy to pull 1000hp out of a camaro or mustang on pump gas. It just takes money. Go the TT route and you'll have it pretty easily. Like I said, it's expensive, but if you have the money, it's easy to do. I've seen plenty of kits for sale, and cars with them on it that are pushin 1000+ on 93 octane. You're right in what you said about the N/A stuff. You'd be very hard pressed to get that kinda power out of an N/A engine on pump gas, but turbo and TT is a whole nother ball game. Oh, and by the way, they'll fly. There's a 1000-1200hp supra runnin around here that can run with turbo busas. . . Good luck, but I'm givin this one to the camaro as long as he's got the rubber, suspension, gear and driving skills to do it.

Oh, and like the others said, if you go from a stop you MIGHT have a chance. Depends on the speed that you go up to and how good you are at launching hard. It'll take him a little bit of time to spool those turbos up, and how long it takes just depends on the size and design of the turbos. Either way it'd be fun, if you can handle the endless crap talkin after he beats you. Make sure you have a tank mount for the camera cause you done lost your mind if you think we won't harass you for a vid after this is all over.

Back