Guns need info

A 10-22 that jams??? I've had two of them and they were very reliable! I've fired 1000 rnds between cleaning and they still worked fine. But, mine are older models.

gracie_in_the_box.jpg

(bitabur @ Mar. 10 2007,06:46) Ak's and the like are nice because you can buy loads of the 7.62 nato rounds (also known as the 308 winchester) on the cheap.
This is going to get long and confusing, but important things need to be clarified.

I don't mean to split hairs here but the AK (at least in the original Kalashnikov design) does NOT fire the ".308 Winchester" round. Yes, the AK does fire a 7.62mm bullet (which is .308 caliber in inches) but its case dimensions are 7.62mm x 39mm, making it a much shorter assault rifle cartridge than the 7.62mm x 51mm round that the .308 caliber rifles fire. The Moisan Nagant also fires a .308 caliber bullet but its case dimensions are different still (7.62mm x 54mm and a totally different rim design).

And...this is the part where it gets confusing. Now the NATO 7.62x51 round (the parent round of the ".308 Winchester") also known as the T56, looks identical to the commercially available .308 Winchester round, but the two have some subtle yet important differences that mean they aren't completely interchangeable. The T56 is smaller in a few dimensions by several thousandths of an inch. If you try to fire a commercial .308 Winchester in a weapon chambered for the 7.62x51 T56 you'll get dangerously high chamber pressures and eventually the weapon will go boom in the bad way rather than the good way. To muddle matters even further you CAN fire the T56 NATO round in a civilian .308 Winchester rifle without any problems.

All that being said, in this day and age it's possible to get an AK style weapon in any number of calibers. I've seen them chambered in everything from .22lr to .300+ magnum rifle cartridges and I've got two myself, one in 5.56 and one in 7.62.

So while what you said above is correct after a fashion, there are AKs that are chambered for the .308 Winchester round, they're rare, unwieldy, and mostly one off custom jobs. Also, keep in mind that you are NOT going to get a bulk case of 1000 .308 Winchester rounds for around $100-$150 like you can for the smaller 7.62x39.

Back